autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm failing on the phone call.

As custmsprty mentioned, force yourself to smile. Fake it til you make it. You know you're probably going to find the person on the other end stupid and lazy, deal with it. Try laughing inside at how dumb some of the questions they ask are. It will put you in a better mood. Ask them if they are shopping around, this will give you valuable information. Try to take the conversation away from price, talk about value for their money. Invite them to look at before and after pictures on your website. Invite them in. "If you want to bring it by I'll take a look at it and see what I can do for you". Try to get their name and call them by their name during the call, it makes it a more personal experience for them.
    That's a few things off the top of my head, as I think of more I'll let you know. I worked in retail my entire life and was extremely successful. You're obviously picking up on the customers body language through the tone of their voice. You need to learn when to go from selling to saving a sale. You hear when you're losing them...ask what kind of price they are getting then ask if they know exactly what they are getting for that price. Tell them you want to make sure they get the best value for their money. Now you have their attention. Go ahead and explain your process, invite them again to look at your website, or come by and you can go into more detail on exactly what you do and why it's the best value. People aren't always looking for price. Usually they want value for their money. You're selling yourself on the phone as much as your services.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

2. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTowel View Post
    Thanks guys. Part of my problem is that I field 90% of my calls during may day job work hours. Usually at the worst times, so I'm not focused in on detailing. I have a crib sheet of prices and options close by, but it's not always easily accessed. I work with clients every day with my 9-5 and have enough experience to know how to deal with and treat people. For some reason, a few people are focusing on my comment that I said I was aggravated that people weren't finding simple answers to their questions on my website. I can assure you, this isn't the issue.

The speedbump for me is that I don't know where to start the conversation when someone asks, "how much for a detail" because there are so many variables, and most people don't know what constitutes a detail. Most of the people that contact me with that question are price shopping, and want to know how much a "wash and wax" costs. Because it's not a one-size-fits-all service, it's tough to know where to begin the answer. That's all.

When someone asks you, "how much for a detail," what is your answer?
    Your post paragraph number two, that's exactly what you need to figure out.

We are the 1% centers. The other 99% of the population just wants a clean car. If I was in your shoes my goal would be to get the client first, give them what they want and are willing to pay for. Their idea of a detail is most likley not the same as yours or mine. Then as you build some rapport and trust with them if they come back you can slowly educate them on the other services you offer.

I would be remiss if I didn't point this out, you came here for advice and advice is what you got. Yet you jumped on a few of us righht away. Seems to me you may need to work on that LOL.

Anyway, I'm outta here, good luck in the future.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

4. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

custmsprty hit the nail on the head.

We are the 1% centers. The other 99% of the population just wants a clean car. If I was in your shoes my goal would be to get the client first, give them what they want and are willing to pay for.

Two things are happening - You state:
    do have simple 4-hour interior/exterior packages all the way up to show car corrections and finishes. That's what my target is, and that's the work that I prefer doing.
    This forum spans the world, from Dubai to Thailand, from Maine to Washington State and everywhere in between. It's made up of folks with many different business models, some do it all, some only do specialties. Only you know your business model, what you'll accept and how much you'll charge. Disclaimer: The outline below will not work for everyone.

1.) Define your business: Once you define what it is you want to do, and the clients you want to take, the phone calls will get easier.

2.) Don't take calls at your day job. If the day job pays the mortgage, taxes and puts food on the table, that should be your focus! Let the calls go to VM, If you were a full time detailer you'd be busy on cars and not be answering calls all day. Set a side a time to call people back later in the evening. This will defuse the quick, "how much for a detail." If you do answer the phone (thinking it's the day job) and it's a detail call, just politely ask if you can call back when you have more time to talk.

3.) Once you've defined the business, have a base for new clients (assuming they will need some kind of correction) and only offer maintenance (wash & wax /maintenance services) to existing clients. Again this is part of your business plan/model.

4.) If your goal as stated above is, to do high-line work, then do it. Get out of the low-end business. This is where the art of turning down business comes into play, versus getting frustrated on the phone: The learned skill of turning detailing work down by Mike Phillips

How does #4 work? Simple: The person asks "how much for a detail" (you stop, wait 2 seconds and breath), then you reply by asking for info on the car, Let them do the talking (you shut up). Up until this point, you don't know if it's a guy looking to have is 10 year old mini-van with 150K miles, 3 kids, 6 cats and two dogs detailed and just wants the interior. Likewise you don't know if this is someone with an Enzo looking to enter it into a concourse event.

5.) Then when they're done, you state "we can take care of all of that... "We specialize in "_refer to_#1 define your business_________" and our entry level package for new clients generally starts at $$$.$$, however, we need to evaluate the vehicle to give you an accurate quote. I was going to be in your area this evening giving another quote, I can meet you between 6-6:30 pm to give you a quote. May I please confirm your address a good contact number for you? If they say "Ok" ball is in your court. You look at the car and after the VIF determine the quote and give it to said client. If they refuse, or say that's too much money, try to conserve the sale without concessions. Go back to "this is what we specialize in." If they still refuse, say thank you. It's optional if you want to refer to a "buddy."

6.) On the flip side, if they state they don't want to spend that much or they describe the vehicle and the job they want, and it doesn't align with #1 above, then follow #4 and refer to a buddy.

Define what you want to do, the calls will be easy. Once the person on the other end starts talking about the disgust and filth in their 1997 Dodge Mini-Van, politely state, that's not what our business focuses on, but I have a buddy who does! You need a buddy! Not every phone call is going to be Jay Leno or Wayne Carini looking to have a show car detailed for a tv show or concourse event. It's up to you to weigh against what the person on the phone wants versus what you are willing to do and then have the appropriate polite response.

----------------------
    We had the same issues at first. This flow-chart / work-flow for a phone conversations really helped. The key is always leave the person feeling good regardless if you accept the job or not, or send them to a buddy. You need them to feel that your customer service skills were above reproach.

6. Likes custmsprty, minirips2, OMGClayAiken liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would ask what the vehicle is and the year and Perhaps ask them what they are looking for. Then suggest your packages that might suit their needs and budget.

Post Thanks / Like

I would make it noted that a vehicle needs to come in or be examined to determine their needs and price and you cannot and should never price something just by thought and not an actual job site in construction or in this case, detailing. People do not think this way and its odd, so odd.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

2.) Don't take calls at your day job. If the day job pays the mortgage, taxes and puts food on the table, that should be your focus! Let the calls go to VM, If you were a full time detailer you'd be busy on cars and not be answering calls all day. Set a side a time to call people back later in the evening. This will defuse the quick, "how much for a detail." If you do answer the phone (thinking it's the day job) and it's a detail call, just politely ask if you can call back when you have more time to talk.
    [/QUOTE]

Agree with LSN on this one. Focus first on the day job. On your voicemail ask for a call back number and also mention your website.
    When you do call back it can be when you are able to completely focus on your potential client.

10. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12