autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is $60 a good price for a wash and wax?

I’d crank that up to a starting price of $100

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes ACCLAY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely seems a little low for manually applying anything but a spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems super low unless you are doing a really quick job.... That would have to take you at least a couple hours. I personally wouldn't touch a car (even just a wash and interior clean) for under $100. Unless you're a high school kid making some summer money 60 bucks isn't even worth the time IMO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It's awesome if you have another job to fall back on, but this gentleman has indicated that he is starting a business. We don't have any idea where he's located. We don't really know much about his business at all. I can advise him based on my own experience that his pricing seems a little low, but telling every person that asks a question that he should be getting $100 for a basic wash is probably great advice for a weekend warrior making extra pocket change, but not great advice for a business. In my area, where people are considered pretty wealthy compared to the average person and have a lot of disposable income, the market will simply not bear a $100 car wash. Not to say you could not sell one or two, but you can't reliably sustain a business using that model.

The products that you've purchased for the jobs you do, the equipment, the vehicle, etc, are all costs that you've incurred before you do a single job. I read a lot of responses that say "my products cost more than that." If your product cost per vehicle is more than a few dollars, you're not running a sustainable business. I use pretty much Shine Supply, Meguiars, McKee's products exclusively and my cost per vehicle is very low. I use spot free water which I purchase for .12/gallon. I typically use 7-10 gallons of water per vehicle, which includes refilling my wash bucket and wheel/tire bucket throughout the day. So even water is only ~ $1 per vehicle on average. Again, gas, insurance, etc, already paid for before I do a job, so to try to say that it is a cost associated with doing that vehicle is invalid. If anything a business should concentrate on doing many vehicles throughout the month to help spread those costs across a wider customer base. I'll often take a customer that calls for a smaller job and schedule them behind another job that is very close to them. People are typically very accommodating. Instead of doing a $50 wash, I'm now doing two $50 washes using the same amount of gas and cutting down on my travel time between jobs and to and from home considerably. It typically takes me 1.25-1.50 hours to complete a wash, including setup and pack up. Because of my trailer setup, setup and pack up are very quick. Those two customers will tip, let's call it $5 and $10, which is pretty typical. So, $115 for 3 hours of work. That's $38/hour. There's really nothing wrong with a new business out busting ass for $30-40/hour. You go out and do a good job, look and act professional and one of those customers will call you back hopefully for a bigger job next time. Because after you finish your wash, you let them know that the vehicle is overall in great shape but next time you'd like to get a coat of wax on it for them before summer comes. They ask how much is that? You've now opened a dialog about future work. A full wash and wax is $95 for your vehicle and right now we are running a special for our improved silica based wax for only $25 more. Now they're on the hook for a $120 wash and wax. You also let them know that after you wax it with the silica wax, you can do future maintenance washes every month and use a silica based detail spray to keep that wax fresh. How much is that? It's only $25 to add it to the wash. Now you're talking to them about a monthly deal.

Do a little more for the customer. If you don't have anything pressing and their carpets are dirty, clean one area for them and do a good job. Let them know when you give them the car that their vehicle could use a good interior detail next time. Show them what you did. I did this a couple months ago on an exterior detail on an F350 that is in the gallery on my site. The guy called me last week, scheduled a wash for the F350, a full interior detail and a wash for his wife's Kia. Do a 2'x2' paint correction on a light swirled dark car if you already have the buffer out (we do to apply wax). I did this on a Camaro and he ended up scheduling a 1 step correction. We did a car yesterday that had ZERO debris to vacuum. I mean zero, not a crumb in the car. Her leather seats were grimy. Instead of spending 30 minutes vacuuming, I cleaned and protected her leather seats. She came out when we were done and said "OMG, I didn't think you'd be able to get that out because I tried to clean it and it wouldn't come out." It was basically dye from her jeans. I told her it's not a normal part of wiping down and vacuuming but I went ahead and did it for you. She gave us a $30 tip and specially said it was because of the seats.

It's called business. You're a salesman and a detailer. Your first job is to get the job (sales). Your second job is to go and do a good job (detailer). Your third job is to turn that job into many jobs (sales). Follow up with your customers especially the ones that were receptive to future work (sales). Recurring business is the lifeblood of this industry. If you're not able to take my example above and turn a lot of that low priced business into better business either on the spot or in the future, it might not be your pricing that is the issue. It might be the quality of your work or your approach with the customer.

I like to make money as much as the next guy, but to eschew a job that pays $30-40/hour where you're the boss working for yourself and if you do it right gives you the opportunity to increase that hourly rate as your business expands and improves is not doing any favors to this business owner asking the questions. Not everybody has the background where the opportunity cost for their labor is significantly higher than that. If you stay busy, $30-40/hour can be a great income to start with and everybody, even a business owner, has to start somewhere.

6. Thanks Eric7810 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Rather low in my opinion. Maybe for a tiny sized car and a spray wax but what about a Suburban?
    Your right, your right. I've researched some other prices in the area and i'm going to bump mine up. I'm still going to keep it lower than competitors to draw people in. I'm not really worried about the price as i'm doing this for a small side job. Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    It's awesome if you have another job to fall back on, but this gentleman has indicated that he is starting a business. We don't have any idea where he's located. We don't really know much about his business at all. I can advise him based on my own experience that his pricing seems a little low, but telling every person that asks a question that he should be getting $100 for a basic wash is probably great advice for a weekend warrior making extra pocket change, but not great advice for a business. In my area, where people are considered pretty wealthy compared to the average person and have a lot of disposable income, the market will simply not bear a $100 car wash. Not to say you could not sell one or two, but you can't reliably sustain a business using that model.

The products that you've purchased for the jobs you do, the equipment, the vehicle, etc, are all costs that you've incurred before you do a single job. I read a lot of responses that say "my products cost more than that." If your product cost per vehicle is more than a few dollars, you're not running a sustainable business. I use pretty much Shine Supply, Meguiars, McKee's products exclusively and my cost per vehicle is very low. I use spot free water which I purchase for .12/gallon. I typically use 7-10 gallons of water per vehicle, which includes refilling my wash bucket and wheel/tire bucket throughout the day. So even water is only ~ $1 per vehicle on average. Again, gas, insurance, etc, already paid for before I do a job, so to try to say that it is a cost associated with doing that vehicle is invalid. If anything a business should concentrate on doing many vehicles throughout the month to help spread those costs across a wider customer base. I'll often take a customer that calls for a smaller job and schedule them behind another job that is very close to them. People are typically very accommodating. Instead of doing a $50 wash, I'm now doing two $50 washes using the same amount of gas and cutting down on my travel time between jobs and to and from home considerably. It typically takes me 1.25-1.50 hours to complete a wash, including setup and pack up. Because of my trailer setup, setup and pack up are very quick. Those two customers will tip, let's call it $5 and $10, which is pretty typical. So, $115 for 3 hours of work. That's $38/hour. There's really nothing wrong with a new business out busting ass for $30-40/hour. You go out and do a good job, look and act professional and one of those customers will call you back hopefully for a bigger job next time. Because after you finish your wash, you let them know that the vehicle is overall in great shape but next time you'd like to get a coat of wax on it for them before summer comes. They ask how much is that? You've now opened a dialog about future work. A full wash and wax is $95 for your vehicle and right now we are running a special for our improved silica based wax for only $25 more. Now they're on the hook for a $120 wash and wax. You also let them know that after you wax it with the silica wax, you can do future maintenance washes every month and use a silica based detail spray to keep that wax fresh. How much is that? It's only $25 to add it to the wash. Now you're talking to them about a monthly deal.

Do a little more for the customer. If you don't have anything pressing and their carpets are dirty, clean one area for them and do a good job. Let them know when you give them the car that their vehicle could use a good interior detail next time. Show them what you did. I did this a couple months ago on an exterior detail on an F350 that is in the gallery on my site. The guy called me last week, scheduled a wash for the F350, a full interior detail and a wash for his wife's Kia. Do a 2'x2' paint correction on a light swirled dark car if you already have the buffer out (we do to apply wax). I did this on a Camaro and he ended up scheduling a 1 step correction. We did a car yesterday that had ZERO debris to vacuum. I mean zero, not a crumb in the car. Her leather seats were grimy. Instead of spending 30 minutes vacuuming, I cleaned and protected her leather seats. She came out when we were done and said "OMG, I didn't think you'd be able to get that out because I tried to clean it and it wouldn't come out." It was basically dye from her jeans. I told her it's not a normal part of wiping down and vacuuming but I went ahead and did it for you. She gave us a $30 tip and specially said it was because of the seats.

It's called business. You're a salesman and a detailer. Your first job is to get the job (sales). Your second job is to go and do a good job (detailer). Your third job is to turn that job into many jobs (sales). Follow up with your customers especially the ones that were receptive to future work (sales). Recurring business is the lifeblood of this industry. If you're not able to take my example above and turn a lot of that low priced business into better business either on the spot or in the future, it might not be your pricing that is the issue. It might be the quality of your work or your approach with the customer.

I like to make money as much as the next guy, but to eschew a job that pays $30-40/hour where you're the boss working for yourself and if you do it right gives you the opportunity to increase that hourly rate as your business expands and improves is not doing any favors to this business owner asking the questions. Not everybody has the background where the opportunity cost for their labor is significantly higher than that. If you stay busy, $30-40/hour can be a great income to start with and everybody, even a business owner, has to start somewhere.
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply lol. I agree that you should do a little more for the customer. Its easy to cut corners but you should put in the work and show your services are valuable. I will raise the price to around $85 due to the market i'm in. Thats a range where i still think i can draw people in and not scare them away with a price. Thanks for the reply!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cleankat View Post
    Seems super low unless you are doing a really quick job.... That would have to take you at least a couple hours. I personally wouldn't touch a car (even just a wash and interior clean) for under $100. Unless you're a high school kid making some summer money 60 bucks isn't even worth the time IMO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Lets just say you hit the nail right on the head with your "Unless"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Define "wash". Does that include the wheels and wheel wells? Does it include tire dressing? Do you clean the windows inside and out? Do you vacuum the interior? $60 seems rather low. Perhaps you can charge a little more and spell out all the services the customer is getting for his money.
    Did you even read post #1?
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

My car wash is $50
    My Market is $25
    Why the extra $25 you say?
    2 bucket hand wash
    A pre soak/foam
    All 4 tires and rims are cleaned
    2 mitts are used, 1 for the top portion and 1 for the bottom half of Vehicle
    Towel Dried
    Inside outside windows cleaned
    And a vacuum.
    I am taking the extra precautions as to not scratch your vehicle so my attention to detail is going to cost you a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ​@FREAKIN52 AUTO DETAILING!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12