autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Advertising Protection Durability

Hey guys, I've been wondering about this lately. As a business, do you advertise the product's durability based on manufacturer's claims or real world experience?

My dilemma is that when clients are comparing two competing detailers they might simply look at the durability on face value.

For example, two detailers use d156 and one may advertise that this "basic" protection package will last for a 2 months; on the other hand, real world is actually a couple of weeks.

On the perspective of a non car client, I'd definitely go to the first one assuming price is a non factor.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Re: Advertising Protection Durability

My two cents...

Regardless of what the manufacturer claims or anyone for that matter, how long anything lasts always comes down to how the "thing" is touched.

Wash a coated car carefully and the coating will last a long time.

Wash a car with a brick and nothing will last very long.

This is why in all my detailing classes I teach those attending the class that detail for profit that the first question they should as a potential customer is,

How do you wash your car?

3. Thanks Jon TDS thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think most consumers are savvy enough to shop that way. That's my two cents.

However, as to your question, I tend to give real world answers on durability based on several different factors (i.e., if you garage it and don't drive often, this, if you park in the sun all day, that, etc.) I do also think that consumers know that most manufacturer's claim (and the trickle down you restating the claims) are not "real world."

I was worried about the same thing. Not losing jobs to outlandish claims so much, but delivering good durability to my customers. So, I switched all our products to products known to have good real world durability. If durability is your concern, that's the easiest way to fix it.

5. Thanks Jon TDS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just be honest and tell them what to expect based on real-world conditions. Explain how things like local climate, weather and proper maintenance will impact the longevity of any product.
    I would also educate them on how unrealistic most product manufacturers claims are.
    As a business professional, your ability to articulate reasonable expectations as you educate your clients will pay dividends in the end!

The vast majority of customers will appreciate your honesty. Everyone respects honesty, even if in the process they come to understand that their expectations need to be adjusted.

Lastly, put yourself in their shoes. What would you want in this circumstance? A salesman who simply regurgitates unrealistic product claims? Or, some sage advice from a seasoned professional who (like you) appreciates honesty and integrity.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually quote D166 and other AIO's as a "season long" protection. Here in Ohio that's about 3 months. I do note moving into fall that winter is pretty tough on sealants and instruct folks to follow up their day-forward washes with that in mind and that something like Opti-Seal is a good product to have going forward. I bundle in a 1oz bottle of it going forward as their take-home gift. It's enough to do an average sedan twice. I do something similar with coatings so why not my AIO Basic Clean and Protect Jobs. It only costs me $4 or so per customer and I build said cost into my jobs. I show them how to use it and inform them of all it's benefits.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Thanks Jon TDS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

I understand that educating them is key but that's provided that they communicate with you. If not? Educate them thru website?

For each client serviced I do educate them when I handover as well as a service report email just to recap how to maintain it moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I usually quote D166 and other AIO's as a "season long" protection. Here in Ohio that's about 3 months. I do note moving into fall that winter is pretty tough on sealants and instruct folks to follow up their day-forward washes with that in mind and that something like Opti-Seal is a good product to have going forward. I bundle in a 1oz bottle of it going forward as their take-home gift. It's enough to do an average sedan twice. I do something similar with coatings so why not my AIO Basic Clean and Protect Jobs. It only costs me $4 or so per customer and I build said cost into my jobs. I show them how to use it and inform them of all it's benefits.
    We just moved to Michigan from Singapore! Heard a lot about the winter here! Lol!

Coating is the way to go for winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    We just moved to Michigan from Singapore! Heard a lot about the winter here! Lol!

Coating is the way to go for winter?
    Welcome! I'm in MI quite a bit. What area are you in? Look out for lake effect. Will likely be a bad winter for you until the water freezes. Until then, it's a factory for snowfall.

Yes, coatings are great for winter. If you stick with a sealant, I prefer Colinite 476 as it's super durable and handles salt / brine very well. If you're new(er) to coatings then look at GYEON's CanCoat. Easy to use and works very well. I offer it as an "upgrade" on my Basic Clean and Protect AIO jobs. I charge $75 additional to go with CanCoat over a standard AIO like D166. Most customers opt for the upgrade but l have a customer who just signed up for four vehicles that's doing D166 on all of them. Go figure.

In terms of my work it doesn't add much. I simply switch from a 1 Step AIO to a basic polish like M205, give it a good Prep Wipe Down and break out some Can-Coat.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Kalamazoo! Was in Cincinnati a few weeks ago to visit my cousin!

I'll take note of the winter. Will use it to as a selling point for coating!

Have stock of cquartz but haven't upsold any of it. Maybe McKee's will be a good product for a lower price point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I understand that educating them is key but that's provided that they communicate with you. If not? Educate them thru website?

For each client serviced I do educate them when I handover as well as a service report email just to recap how to maintain it moving forward.

If you have a website, consider listing a handful of frequently asked questions (FAQ). This would be ideal and allows you to explain in detail and consistently to all clients.
    Other benefits to a FAQ include the ability to demonstrate to clients the depth and breadth of you experience and knowledge. Also, depending on how in-depth and varied it is, it becomes a "default" reference point for your clients who want to learn more about their car care. Lastly, it drives clients back to your website where they can see "special offers" new products/services you have! Cool huh?

14. Likes Jon TDS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast