autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Home Based Legitimate Detailing Business?

Hey everyone,

I've been detailing as a hobby and as a part-time side gig in Long Island, NY for some time now. I'm seeing an opportunity to make the move and go full time. I work by myself out of my at home 2 car garage. I have everything set up pretty well in there, and I plan on investing some further time and money to get in set up with A/C and heat. I'm looking for some advice about starting up a legitimate business working from the garage.

I do not plan on hiring any employees.

Some questions:

• Would you recommend a sole proprietorship or an LLC? Is one or the other better suited for doing this work at home?

• What could I do for insurance? I want to be sure both myself and my client's vehicles are covered and protected in case of any unforeseen incidents.

• Health insurance - does being a small business owner open up any different options for health insurance?

• Any recommendations on books or other sources of information to further educate the accounting side of the business, such as bookkeeping, taxes, etc? Do you guys do everything yourselves or do you have an accountant?

I'm looking to take several steps forward and bring this business to a new level. I'm very motivated and willing to do what it takes. Any further recommendations or advice is much appreciated.

2. Thanks 215Detailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Home Based Legitimate Detailing Business?

The first thing you need to do is find out of your locality allows you to run a business out of your home, it's one thing if you're doing it on the side and they stop you, it's another thing if you quit your regular job, pour money into garage upgrades, then find out it's illegal. But maybe you've already researched that and made a decision.

4. Likes dlc95, KirkH, Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would first go to your town hall and speak with them. I run a full time legitimate detailing business out of my home as a sole proprietor. My town is very good about home based small businesses and my accountant had me file a DBA with the town hall then open up a business checking account. Then of course I have liability insurance and garage keepers insurance.

My accountant said that unless I am doing six figures there's no reason for a llc yet. I send my accountant my numbers every 4months and he handles my estimated tax payments to the state and federal government.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

6. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started a sales rep business and met with an accountant to get started. She recommended an S corporation where your personal assets are protected in the event of a lawsuit. Your business expenses and income get added into your personal income tax return. Meeting with an accountant is a lot cheaper than an attorney. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that it is a professional, legitimate business with the proper licenses, insurance, training and credentials.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 001jigsaw View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've been detailing as a hobby and as a part-time side gig in Long Island, NY for some time now. I'm seeing an opportunity to make the move and go full time. I work by myself out of my at home 2 car garage. I have everything set up pretty well in there, and I plan on investing some further time and money to get in set up with A/C and heat. I'm looking for some advice about starting up a legitimate business working from the garage.

I do not plan on hiring any employees.

Some questions:

• Would you recommend a sole proprietorship or an LLC? Is one or the other better suited for doing this work at home?

• What could I do for insurance? I want to be sure both myself and my client's vehicles are covered and protected in case of any unforeseen incidents.

• Health insurance - does being a small business owner open up any different options for health insurance?

• Any recommendations on books or other sources of information to further educate the accounting side of the business, such as bookkeeping, taxes, etc? Do you guys do everything yourselves or do you have an accountant?

I'm looking to take several steps forward and bring this business to a new level. I'm very motivated and willing to do what it takes. Any further recommendations or advice is much appreciated.
    How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

9. Likes sweatthedetails liked this post
    Newbie Member StartAutoDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some questions:

• Would you recommend a sole proprietorship or an LLC? Is one or the other better suited for doing this work at home? You can start easiest with a DBA (Doing Business As) as Justin mentioned. Otherwise you create a LLC and have it taxed as an S Corp which will save you money for paperwork/maintenance and on your taxes.

• What could I do for insurance? I want to be sure both myself and my client's vehicles are covered and protected in case of any unforeseen incidents. Garage Keepers and Liability Insurance are the two I would stick with.

• Health insurance - does being a small business owner open up any different options for health insurance? Check out Health Care Insurance Coverage for Self-Employed Individuals | HealthCare.gov or 10 Affordable Self-Employed Health Insurance Options When You're on a Budget - Careful Cents

• Any recommendations on books or other sources of information to further educate the accounting side of the business, such as bookkeeping, taxes, etc? Do you guys do everything yourselves or do you have an accountant? Definitely get an accountant
    Congratulations on taking the dive to full time business owner! I have answered above in bold.

Do you have clients lined up from part time that you can carry over and keep a consistent flow of new customers from recommendations? If you haven't already, reach out to your past customers and let them know that you are pleased to announce that you are going full time and are available list your days/hours. Also ask them to spread the news to their friends and family. Hopefully this helps! I look forward to hearing how it's going for you in the coming months.

Start your Auto Detailing Business Today!
    https://www.startautodetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey there I also operate a process service out of a home garage. I love that I can save money for clients and create less away time from family as this career can constantly pull you in that direction. A couple things I’ve learned work to effectively operate out of a home as far as a consumers perspective and achieving their trust and satisfaction are listed below.
    1. I always tell any new callers, or perspective clients in person that I run a professional service with intentions of low overhead in interest of my clients, and try to give them a very good idea of where my neighborhood is located.

2. I always have a garage door open waiting for new clients to arrive no matter what. If I’m expecting them, I’m trying to create an inviting environment. I also usually offer clients to come inside the shop and look around, verbalizing how I want them to be comfortable.

3. Keep front yard, driveway super clean, and cut grass! I think I actually had some driveaways when I let my grass get really high last summer when I was super busy, it’s like going to do a mobile detail in a muddy dirty car.

4.offer help with drop off pick up. Considering you are going against the grain of modern business practices for the most part, make yourself more accommodating than other local options. I always make sure they don’t have any kind of logistical problems with dropping off, and getting back here and will always eat the cost of a little gas money to make the day for them super easy, this ride is also a great time to upsell coatings, care products, or explain your services better.

5. Emphasize how you will be there for them, this kind of also separates you from a “franchise” or “established storefront business” if you will. Your personal interactions and occasional text check ups and email promos will help you establish a great personal relationship with them. I also offer $50-$100 off any vehicle they bring back within 60 days to establish my own business consistentcy as well as my rapport with the client.

6. Always have good lighting in shop when expecting clients, a single mother doesn’t want to walk into a dark home garage by herself, and most men don’t either

7. Keep water bottles on chill to put in the car or offer while talking and doing estimates, again it’s being overly accommodating to the client to take mind off them being at a home.

7. Maintenance care folder for detail clients, one for them, and for me, so I can write notes, to over things and give them advice of maintenance to save them money. Also have a more intricate for my ceramics and the warranties that accompany them.

8. Offer free express mobile touch ups on days with appointments that it’s raining, no one wants a fresh detailed car only to have to clean it a day later. No charge for my business doing this service

9. Receipts!!

10. Give a botttle of onr to higher cost details at the least, it’s hard to mess up anything with it, and people feel taken care of

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I love how customer centric you are. You remind me of myself. It's refreshing when you read other mobile detailers saying things like "Oh, I charge $30 to the cost of the job to drive to your their house." YOU'RE A MOBILE DETAILER. It's right in your name. Stop charging for services that should be included in your pricing. Stop wanting your cake and eating it too. You don't have RENT, that's your cost of doing business. All I can say is they must not have much or any competition.

13. Likes Manifestingdetails, Jon TDS, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    The first thing you need to do is find out of your locality allows you to run a business out of your home, it's one thing if you're doing it on the side and they stop you, it's another thing if you quit your regular job, pour money into garage upgrades, then find out it's illegal. But maybe you've already researched that and made a decision.
    Yes, I found out that it was not zoned for business at my house so my whole business model changed. I bought a trailer and went mobile instead.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several threads on this forum about insurance. The general consensus was that insurance won't cover a mistake you make in your craft (ie burning thru a clear coat) and if you have an accident in your own driveway, insurance won't cover it (your state may vary.)

I have an intern from a local university who is a senior economics major. She does my social media, files and pays taxes, designs the website, comes up with marketing ideas and pays for the promotions. I have to write reports for her economics major advisor and she has to write papers and turn in research. It's a lot like this:

YouTube
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast