autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Getting client is very hard when you first start out.

Here are a few tips:

1. Contact everyone you know who has a car. Tell them you need practice and you can offer your service to them at half price. You could go as low as just covering the cost of your products if they are not
    willing to pay half price. When you detail their cars, take a lot of before and after pictures. Use these on your website to build a portfolio. A trick here, the dirtier the car before, the better the pictures will look after, so try to do that after it rains or something

2. Get yourself a website and facebook page if you have not done so already. These are almost free advertizing, and if you make it well, it will give people who are visual and idea of what you can do for them.

3. Get yourself business cards from a place that make large orders at low prices. For example, I got 10,000 cards for about 150$. It is probably a lot cheaper in the US. Leave a bunch of cards everywhere you can.
    Many grocery stores and other places have billboard or even card holders for their clients to advertise for free. Use it.

4. Post your work on social media and ask your friends to like and share your posts.

Slowly your business will grow, but it's not an instant thing.
    Thanks for the reply. Facebook and website and email are all set up. As for people I know with cars, we'rea ll in the 20s and 21s right and I'm the only one with a stable career job so while my friends have nice cars they won't pay anything to get them detailed. That sucks. But I will try printing flyer type thing and stick it on the canada post mailbox around maybe that'l help to.

I'll get some pics and worst case I can pay advertising on FB when my page has pics of before and after like you say that should do the trick to. My mom dad and sister want their car clean so that will do a nice range of cars to. One is a benz, one is a sub and the other is a Hyundai.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Facebook and website and email are all set up. As for people I know with cars, we'rea ll in the 20s and 21s right and I'm the only one with a stable career job so while my friends have nice cars they won't pay anything to get them detailed. That sucks. But I will try printing flyer type thing and stick it on the canada post mailbox around maybe that'l help to.

I'll get some pics and worst case I can pay advertising on FB when my page has pics of before and after like you say that should do the trick to. My mom dad and sister want their car clean so that will do a nice range of cars to. One is a benz, one is a sub and the other is a Hyundai.
    Then ask them to make the offer to their parents. You should be able to find people with a good discount. Also try to get reviews from them, that would help as well.

As for mail marketing... from personnal experience, that is a huge waste of money. You are much better off doing a facebook ad campaign than doing direct mail.

Post Thanks / Like

It will take a while, but you will get there. I started off like you. It started with me clank g a few friends cars. Then it just grew. I never advertise other than posting pics of Facebook. Now, I only primarily do high end details and ceramic coating. Oh and at my day job, I work no less than 10 hours a day and usually 6 days a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I am a IT Project Manager and work full time, M-F, 9 to whenever and sometimes on weekends if I have implementations . I run a part time detailing business while juggling helping my wife with her fashion business and we have 2 young kids as well. Its definitely possible with the right time management and saying yes to the right jobs. I turn away work if I need to or if the customer is just price shopping for the cheapest price out there. I focus mostly on paint correction/ enhancements and stopped offering standard details except to existing clients. I generally aim to do 2 cars a month that way I have two weekends free for family. It does bring in some extra pocket cash for toys/ extra gear which is nice but I am definitely not making a killing on it to quit my day job.

If you think you will enjoy it give it a shot you don't have much to lose and it could very well blossom in to something more. My mentality is always, you never know unless you try.
    Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Just to get some clients, it's proving to be more difficult than I would have thought! Even just one.
    Get into cars and coffee and any local car events. I do a lot of racing and C&C events and 100% of my customers are word of mouth. Gets easy from there. I'm most always booked 1 month out with 1-2 per weekend.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

You sound exactly like me but I am in fact crazy lol. I am a Network Administrator of a large law firm and I still have a Detailing business on the side. I usually work my full time job between 37-40+ hours a week plus some weeknights after hours during upgrades. That being said, its not easy but In the spring I usually am booked every single weekend both Saturday and Sunday (usually 8-12 hour days) and then when I get extremely busy I will sometimes detail weeknights if the customer can leave there car overnight (then I can spread the detail over 2 weeknights). All said in done between the 2 jobs I am working between 50-65 hours a week. If your willing to put in the effort and be tired all the time then go for it, seriously!

Post Thanks / Like

Go to some local businesses with nicer cars where the people are too busy to get their cars washed. Mortgage brokers, doctor's offices, etc. Also places where they need a clean car routinely (real estate agents). The big thing is to be out working somewhere because there's no better advertisement for your services than you actually working. I'll be frank with you. You're young which means you don't have a lot of experience. Whether you do or not is irrelevant because that's how people view you. You need to make yourself appear as PROFESSIONAL as possible. Business cards, uniform, signage on your vehicle or wrap (and trailer). Professional appearance, good haircut, good hygiene. You can't look like a kid doing this as a hobby because professional, experienced businesses will put you out of business.

I speak to you as your target audience. Older person with a lot of disposable income that thinks my time is too valuable to wash my own car. Now obviously I don't think that since I own a detailing business, but I understand my customer. Your customer, as you've already figured out, is not your buddies or your peers. They don't have any money. They don't live in houses with a wife and three kids playing soccer all weekend.

8. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I apologize for resurrecting an older thread. I thought about this notion a couple of years ago. I also work full-time with weekends off.
    Would the possibility of doing just 1-2 cars on the weekend even be cost effective? I would gather that by the time you include insurance costs (assuming you're getting insurance) in addition to supplies, you'd be in the red each month. Or am I way off-base here?
    - Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
    I apologize for resurrecting an older thread. I thought about this notion a couple of years ago. I also work full-time with weekends off.
    Would the possibility of doing just 1-2 cars on the weekend even be cost effective? I would gather that by the time you include insurance costs (assuming you're getting insurance) in addition to supplies, you'd be in the red each month. Or am I way off-base here?
    I think you’re way off, if not then hardly anyone would would get into this business.

The initial investment is really low even for middle level detailing. Your biggest expense would be a polisher and pads and you can go with a PC or a HF DA to start out with and still get great results. Something like an extractor would be nice but you can get by without one.

Insurance? No thanks! It’s not going to do much to protect you in most situations.

I probably use less than $10 worth of products per detail. That plus some gas to get there, and the rest of the money is mine. Spend $10-20 to make $200.

The $500 Mobile Detailing Startup - A Simple Walk Through

Post Thanks / Like

That's really interesting.

The forum appears to be divided. If you do a search in numerous insurance discussions here on the forum, the consensus seems to be that "I wouldn't work on a stranger's vehicle without it!"

And the weekend warriors seem to think it's worthless.
    - Scott.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast