autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

I work a 45 hour week at my regular job. Then usually do 1 detail a weekend. Usually full paint correction and interior jobs. I also do detailing for our local airport. I go non stop. Two kids, a 3rd on the way and a wife that works 60 hour weeks. We are crazy, but get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Mazo275 thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

Last year I worked 40hrs a week and then Saturdays, this year I'm back in the oilfield so 85hr weeks average leaves me enough time to sleep and see the kids. I clean my wife's ride is about it now. I definitely don't suggest working beyond 60-70 hrs a week. Beyond that it starts taking a toll mentally unless it's something your used to and you love money that much and there are some of us out there like that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Close as I can figure, I put in 45 hours detailing this week. We had TWO days off in April. Not that we work all day, every day. I'm neither an elite athlete nor young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Hey

I'm about to begin a "career" job in IT which I like but I also like cleaning and detailing cars. I was considering doing a business and working weekends, but most likely saturdays only or else I won't have time for myself.

Which brings me to my main concern, is this physically and mentally possible. Anyone else who currently does this? I suppose when you're starting out and you're not very popular you don't have to much clients right and it doesn't get over your head.

I suppose I could also limit myself to X client a day and make them schedule next week.

Just curious if I'm crazy for even thinking about it or not?
    This depends on you, I know guys that can work 7 days a week. Other people struggle to get 40.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    This depends on you, I know guys that can work 7 days a week. Other people struggle to get 40.
    I agree here, it totally depends on you. I work three jobs, firefighter, communications manager and assistant manager at a restaurant on the weekends. I easily pull 90-100 hours a week and still manage my family. Most people can’t handle that but of you are mentally strong you can overcome it. I have been doing this for about 5 years now.

If you decide to do it, good luck and stay dedicated. Once your work starts to get sloppy or you don’t care/enjoy doing it anymore it’s time to make a change.

Post Thanks / Like

Beware! If you commit to doing it as a business,your love for it may wain because you HAVE to do it. That being said, if you think you can handle it then why not. My 2 vehicles and boat keep me busy enough I wouldn't even consider doing side jobs. I detail my friends truck a couple times a year only because I don't want to be seen in a dirty truck when we use his truck to tow the boat. But I'm not so young anymore either. Youth = Ambition.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this 40 hours plus detailing on days off / weekends is how I've run Great Reflections Detailing since 2010, and I'm well over 40. So it can be done if you want. And the best part of it being a second incone, is I take the jobs that I want. No pressure to get in over my head, because food and rent is covered by the "regular" gig.

If you want to do it, do so. Stop when/if you lose the passion for detailing.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
    Beware! If you commit to doing it as a business,your love for it may wain because you HAVE to do it.
    This is exactly what happened to me, I used to love detailing my cars and figured that it would be a great way to make extra money. Then I started doing customers cars and I lost a lot of my passion for it. Plus my life priorities changed and a car isn’t such a big expense to me anymore like when I would work all week to afford the car so I am not so paranoid about keeping it “mint”. I look at a car as a expendable object that will end up in a scrap yard someday

Still love a clean well kept car but I am not anal anymore

David

Post Thanks / Like

I have a full time job in a professional industry that has no labor intensive component so detailing on weekends for me is fun. That said I have a life and try and limit myself to 1 car per weekend and doing so every single weekend does become a PIA. That said, I'm busier now and have even scheduled some PTO to get some vehicles done. I'm salary and have plenty of vacation time so I am not losing money even though my day job pays far more per hour if it were to be calculated that way.

What I've done to help is just inch up my pricing a bit more every few months. I'm up to about $60hr now with some cases where I can pull down the equiv. of about $75/hr thus making it more close to being "worth my time"

I use the money as play money and the next 5 details I already have on the books are going towards funding the spending money on our upcoming family vacation. I'm pretty well stocked on coatings and products so outside a few investments here and there, it's all profit to me.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I am an IT guy for a Bank. I do system admin, yeah, sometimes I have after hours work, however most of it I schedule tasks to do. I detail on the side during the weekends, I started at the beginning of April this year, booked into June and this is my 5th year doing it. I plan get a way weekend here and there and don't schedule jobs for those weekends. It's possible.

12. Likes TheMidnightNarwhal liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast