autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    First question that popped in my mind was "How old are you?"

Are you in your 20's, or an old broken down man like me? Lol
    Haha yeah, I'm 20 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone who does pro detail on weekends while having a regular 5 day 37.5 hour a week job?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Haha yeah, I'm 20 years old.
    Oh, OK. So you're pretty much Superman at that age.

If Detailing on the weekends would make you happy, and you don't mind the hours, I'd say go for it, young Jedi.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes TheMidnightNarwhal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Oh, OK. So you're pretty much Superman at that age.

If Detailing on the weekends would make you happy, and you don't mind the hours, I'd say go for it, young Jedi.
    Haha yeah I'll def give it a go after I start the job for a few weeks. I honnestly already have everything to do it so it won't cost me more to work for people, actually it will just give me money in away. And could start repaying all these supplies lol.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I work in IT (Healthcare), been in the field for 16yrs, prior to that 8+yrs USN, will be 45yrs young in a few months....It can be done. Not all IT gigs are late nights or maintenance window hours I work 8-430 Mon-Fri and have to be a Tier 2 support for after hours on call for a week every 5 weeks or so....My day job does more than pay the bills so it affords me the opportunity to be selective about what jobs I take.....last year I made the choice to only do corrections/coatings, being that I have a family it only made sense to take jobs that were worth time away from the fam....if you can be selective, do so, or grind for awhile you have youth on your side!!!

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can relate to this question because at the age of 20 i worked my first long term job at a body shop and wanted to my own detailing business as well.
    My plan was to learn the actual hands on skills required to be a detailer and the knowledge to run a business.
    I worked 4 years at the body shop first which was my full time job to hone my skills and knowledge and make the necessary mistakes in order to gain real life experience and not just by reading and watching videos.
    My 5th year at my full time job was my 1st year offering my services pt on the weekends only which lasted 3 years of working 2 jobs and 50-80hrs a week in the beginning phase.
    Business will be slow the 1st year because that will be the year you plant your foundation down and settle down the roots so to speak from scratch.
    This would include own website, social media, building up your tools, chemicals, and take care of basic business back end stuff.
    My 2nd year part time i had an increase of 50% more work. By then i was more settled in with doing the actual work on cars versus getting your company name out there and having people be able to find you online.
    By my 3rd year pt, i was already into a management position for 3 years at the body shop so i learned valuable skills what it takes to run a business.
    This year i transitioned from my 7yrs ft time to my 1st year ft business. In my situation i had the potential to make more with my business so my end goal was to do it full time.
    With all this said, you will not make much your 1st year and you will be investing almost all of your money back into the business. Be prepared to put in long days of hustle to push toward your goals. If you want it bad, you will make it happen. Im currently 28 and it took me 7 years to learn, make mistakes, improve, continuous education to be able to call myself my own boss.

Click on image to view work

8. Likes PaulMys, fly07sti, SWETM, SNP209, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's possible, it really depends on your drive and willingness to give up your spare time to devote to your side hustle.

I am a software developer and I am detailing on the weekends. There are times I question if doing both is maintainable, but I am also working 8-430 in the office and again from 8pm-midnight/1am to complete this massive rewrite project that is overdue. If you enjoy doing it, it won't be a burden on the weekends.

You're smart to sticking to just Saturdays. Keep Sundays to yourself because in the future there may be other interests/responsibilities that require that time and its easier to start with the spare time rather than having to carve the time out. You'll be amazed at how quickly it will grow for you once the word gets out that you do quality work. I encourage you to pursue it, especially if you already have all of the materials. Best of luck, I hope it all works out for you!

Post Thanks / Like

I work 40 plus during the week and was just a weekend warrior, friends and family. This spring though people starting getting word and calling to get there vehicles done. As of right now i am lined up weekends through May. After this i am done with that, it is to much for me as i have home responsibilities, family responsibilities, etc. i wish i could detail full time but i dont think the cold weather climate is conducive to the dollar amount i make at my day job. Plus i dont charge people nearly enough for the amount of work i put into there vehicles, i am a sap.

Post Thanks / Like

I work 40 hrs/wk at my full time job and detail 1 day on the weekend. I've done it for almost 10 years now and this is the first year that I said "screw it" and put a flat number of jobs that I would do during the season (I'm mobile). I am already booked into all of my available slots through June and am not continuing past August this year. My advice as far as booking multiple jobs/day is to avoid it at first until you get into a system that works for you both from a time management standpoint and a physical/mental wear and tear standpoint. As much as we all enjoy this, there are times when you book a second (or third) job and the first one beats you to death and you don't feel like starting another one. I personally limit myself to 2 per day maximum regardless of what the job entails this way I know exactly what I'm getting into and can approximate exactly when I'll be finished.

12. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Here is the thing, if you're going to be in IT, I can tell you, most information systems are worked on during low-peak times, which means nights and weekends. IT is not usually a M-F 9 to 5 job... If you've found one, bravo! However, if you find something you love to do (outside of work such as detailing) you'll find a way to make it work. Take it from someone who is "plugged-in" 24x7 365 and travels (by air) 35% of the time. I still maintain a detail business with great clients.

Owning your own business will teach you the in's and out's of business and give you a deeper respect for your full-time job. You'll see how it translates to customer service, vendors, overhead, costs, etc..

Good luck!!!
    That’s a great answer and an even better attitude! I also have a detailing business, job and personal train. It can be done, especially if you love it. IDA certified with detailing trainings throughout the year. High level, elite detailing/paint correction is something I love, you can have it all if you’re willing to work hard. You’ll also get a much deeper appreciation for everything else in your life too!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing part time job plus detailing for 5 years. This year I might go full time detailing.

My typical week is 2 to 3 days at my regular job, and 2 to 3 days detailing. The days I am detailing as very physical, I am mobile and work alone so on most detail that is a 8 to 14 hours day for me with almost no breaks.

This year I decided to hire someone to give me a hand. If it works out, I may go full time.

What you have to remember is that detailing is very taxing on your body. I don't think you could work 40 hours plus 2 days of detailing for very long unless you are an athlete and are in peak physical condition. When I first started detailing it would take me a day of rest to recover from the detailing. Now I am used to it and I merelly feel tired or sore on the next day but still can fonction normally. I do like to have a day off between details if I can. With help that will likelly be much less taxing.

So my advice, if you can, ease into it. See if you can cut 1 or 2 days from your normal job and add 1 or 2 days detailing at first. As demand grows you can cut an other day at your work to do detailing and so on. Not all jobs allows for this but if you can make it work with yuor employer, that is the best way to do it IMO. Not only do you have more financial security this way, but you don't have the stress of accepting any detailing job that comes your way. It gives you the option of choosing what detailing jobs you want to do.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast