autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you say/do when someone says, “Your prices are too high?”

Don't ever let anyone but yourself and your market dictate your pricing. I have told a handful of potential customers to go with the other guy if they feel they are being overcharged. The only time I ever discount anything (other than a 10% discount for veterans and active military) is if I get multiple cars from the same customer in the same day or if they send me a referral who books a job. You set your pricing for a reason. Materials, time, labor, time away from your family....

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him he cannot afford your services, seek another company. YOU DO NOT want to be working for someone who questions your pricing they will question every little thing else. Get the customer who gladly pays extra $25 they want to see you be successful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kswood View Post
    You can be earning money instead of trying to convince this guy why your pricing is justified. If he is happy with sub standard detailing at a lower price, he would never appriciate your work. If he is unhappy with cheaper work, he will call you in the future.
    This.

As purely a consumer, I can see where he/she is coming from, especially with something like detailing where you've never dealt with any of the parties involved before. You need to explain why you come in above the competition and justify the added cost. Think of it this way: If you had two products sitting side by side and didn't know much about either, odds are you'd go with the item with the lower price. That is, unless someone saw you pick up the cheaper product and strongly persuaded you to go with the other one.

So you need to decide:
    1. How important is the $25? Is it worth losing the job? Do you have others that you can do instead of this one?
    2. Why should they pay the extra $25? Explain what you do better than your competition or what you do differently to justify the added expense.
    3. Do you see this being more than just a one time job? Or will it be a "one and done" type thing? If it turns into a long term relationship, the $25 is pretty much meaningless. If this is it, then it might be worth fighting for (not literally, of course!)

I can think of a couple approaches you could take.

Try bundling it with a car wash or something else they need and reduce the overall price you would charge by $25. That way they still get the reduction and you get more coin in your pocket.

Lower your price, but explain it is a one time thing to expose them to your excellent services. (Be careful though, this sets a precedence, which is why I would say it is a one time thing!)
    Walk away. If they are hassling you over $25, odds are that they'd do it for any of your other future services, unless they see that you did a spectacular job and think the added price is worth it.

Whatever you do, keep it classy/professional. Good luck!

4. Likes sudsmobile, irvsmith, Machine154 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always say to stick to your guns... if you aren't desperate for the work than why compromise?
    Know you are worth it and like others have stated... let them know you are worth it and they are free to look elsewhere.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

You have to be able to read the coverage. You don't let customers know they are free to look elsewhere. I'm not saying you take every job and discount below your comfort level, but there's the proper way to run a business and deal with customers and many of these tidbits are not it. If you're not able to learn to read the situation and deal with each one as they come up, you'll only be successful despite yourself. And being busy and successful today does not guarantee that will continue in the future. Build your company day by day with an eye to the future.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget (may have been mentioned) that some people are just cheap. They want a $500 job for $200. Detailers do it as a living. It costs to do the job and the job pays for their whole entire life.
    The gen pop only care about what they have to spend not what it costs to get it done.

Someone is always cheaper and more expensive.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345