autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk me out of it

Just bought a new to me Porsche Cayenne. The weather is finally warming up and I started looking at the condition of the paint. It needs some major works as it has a bit of swirls. I took it to a detailer and have him gave me a quote. It came out to be around $1300. He said that it would take 10 hours to polish, half a day to detail the interior. This is including a ceramic coating that will last 5 years. All together, it will takes him 4-5 days to finish. Is this reasonable? I do some detailing before, just that this new car is "new" and I don't want to mess it up. Is $1300 in the right ball park? Should I tackle this myself?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Talk me out of it

I've never charged that much before, but I'm not doing this full-time. You may find someone to do it for a $800-1000, but it depends. Is it a reputable professional coating or a consumer coating that we can all purchase? However, even some of the Modesto and 22PLE consumer coating are very expensive. Did he say how many polishing steps? Sounds like he is planning on 3 steps.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

he said it will be polish to get all the swirls out and then a few days to get the ceramic coating done. I think he uses Feynlab.

Post Thanks / Like

What color is it?? I've heard about a lot of the black Porche paint being extremely soft and kind of a nightmare to work on. If it is really soft paint I would probably let them do it. I would be interested to know what kind of coating. If it's not really soft paint I would do it yourself. 1300.00 will buy some very nice equipment and everything you would need. These 5+ year ceramics are real nice, but real world how long is it going to be before there is enough marring and fine scratches to justify polishing again? would you want to go give him another 1300.00 in two years or use the same equipment you already bought and be able to do it for next to nothing?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    What color is it?? I've heard about a lot of the black Porche paint being extremely soft and kind of a nightmare to work on. If it is really soft paint I would probably let them do it. I would be interested to know what kind of coating. If it's not really soft paint I would do it yourself. 1300.00 will buy some very nice equipment and everything you would need. These 5+ year ceramics are real nice, but real world how long is it going to be before there is enough marring and fine scratches to justify polishing again? would you want to go give him another 1300.00 in two years or use the same equipment you already bought and be able to do it for next to nothing?
    I agree 100%. Two details or $2600 will probably buy a lifetime of polishers, pads, compounds and polishes for a hobbyist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    ^^ this. Detailing isn't difficult but it is a skill that take practice to perfect. The good news is that it's difficult to screw anything up and the learning is the fun part. Long life expensive coatings like that are great for garage queens or weekend toys but if this is a regularly used vehicle, I would skip over the pricey ones as the standard really good coatings sold here are more than enough. Time wise, the exterior on that car is likely a 7-8hr job at most. If it takes longer then they are slow. Interior isn't difficult as it's small. Just a matter of what condition it's in.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I learned how to polish and did it myself after purchasing a car last year. I totally loved it but I also love learning anyways and I have a ton of free time! It took a ton of time and effort as polishing is definitely a skill you have to learn.
    Looking at the car after, with a near perfect reflection, was amazingly satisfying knowing that I did it myself!

I bought the harbor freight polisher people like and then the compound, polish and pads from here and I spent under $200, I think well under actually.
    Then you could add in the cost for a lifetime supply of stuff you'll likely want to purchase even if you have the detailer do it now, like a shop-vac; interior detailing chemicals, towels, brushes; car washing stuff and you'll be set for life and save money!

On the other hand, I have no experience with those super long lasting coatings so factor those in separately from my opinion.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a grey color Cayenne. I was told the clear coat is pretty soft. I've done a few cars, but i haven't touch one since a few years ago due to busy schedule. This is my daily driving car so I guess the real benefit probably won't be that great. I already got an orbital and most of the pads. Still has plenty of xmt and WGDG 3.0 left. So I guess a weekend while my kid watch my kid and save a few bucks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a grey color Cayenne. I was told the clear coat is pretty soft. I've done a few cars, but i haven't touch one since a few years ago due to busy schedule. This is my daily driving car so I guess the real benefit probably won't be that great. I already got an orbital and most of the pads. Still has plenty of xmt and WGDG 3.0 left. So I guess a weekend while my wife watch my kid I'll put in a few hours of work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't take that offer even if it was a reputable shop. I own a business in San Antonio, and Houston and still wouldn't charge that much even on a bentley. It's a porsche, even with the soft paint if you're looking to have someone do it rather yourself... Keep looking around for someone else. Where are you located? Look up reviews in your area for another quote and ask probing questions regarding materials and procedure's they're planning to use. Keep us posted!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast