autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Talk me out of it

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If he is highly skilled, if the vehicle is in rough shape, if you are very particular, and if you want a ceramic coating, then that amount of money may be justified. Also he/you may be paying for an insurance policy as well. I love, have, and recommend ceramic coatings, but they don't clean my car. People clean cars. To use some round numbers, lets say you can get a good detail for $500 or less. Then you could get a quality wash, wax, vacuum, wipe down and glass for $150 or less, every other month. At that rate, you have invested about 1250 in 11 months and your vehicle has looked far above average for the year. I'm not trying to influence you one way or another. Also take into consideration if you like to detail, or would you rather have someone do it. Hope this helps and not hurts, good luck.
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a hobbyist, but I don't think $1300.00 is out of line for a professional shop that is going to take a couple of days to do the job. It sounds to me like this detailer is meticulous and wants to take an adequate amount of time to do an excellent job for you. If you do not want to do the job yourself, this to me is not an unreasonable price.

Having said that, I agree with the other posts encouraging you to take a DIY approach. Are you dead set on having it immediately coated? Or are you just doing it because you've read all of the hype about coatings and they are the "hot" LSP at the moment. With spring almost here you could take the summer to teach yourself how to properly polish your new ride and test out applying a wax or paint sealant. When you're comfortable you can always try an entry-level coating which are really not that difficult to apply. Check out the coatings from Polish Angel... either Cosmic V2 or Viking Coat. These are very easy to master and either would make your new Porsche look terrific!

Whatever you decide, you'll find plenty of help (and no shortage of opinions ) here!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

3. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? I use Feynlabs also, 1300 is probably in line,but 5 years is unrealistic here in the Midwest withe crazy amount of salt used. I see side panels that are greatly diminished after a full winter. Yes, I know the coating is probably there, but most customers paying in excess of $1000 for a coating, are expecting the crazy hydrophobic properties for a longer period of time.If you are close, I'm sure we can work something out. I'm in SE Wisconsin. Good luck

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with another detailer, this one is specialized and well known in the area. He use cquartz as the coating and he can only say that it would last around 2-3 years. He quoted me from 1000-2500 depends on the package and options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakame View Post
    Just bought a new to me Porsche Cayenne. The weather is finally warming up and I started looking at the condition of the paint. It needs some major works as it has a bit of swirls. I took it to a detailer and have him gave me a quote. It came out to be around $1300. He said that it would take 10 hours to polish, half a day to detail the interior. This is including a ceramic coating that will last 5 years. All together, it will takes him 4-5 days to finish. Is this reasonable? I do some detailing before, just that this new car is "new" and I don't want to mess it up. Is $1300 in the right ball park? Should I tackle this myself?
    I did this Cayenne last Saturday, check out my show and shine post for the details. Washed, Polished, Sealant applied and removed, exterior trim done, door jams, tires etc. 6 hours total. I didn't do the interior.

Click the link:

2015 Black Porsche Cayenne Correction with FG400 and Polish Angel Master Sealant

Talk me out of it-cayenne8-jpg

Talk me out of it-reflection4-jpg

Talk me out of it-cayenne2-jpg
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

7. Thanks wakame thanked for this post
    Likes wakame liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what it looks like after using 360 on it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of it-84e09a56-0661-433d-9c53-220f576ffb28-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12