autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips and tricks that help produce same results?

Looking for ways to lock down a process to produce produce results that are consistent and quick...

Little background on my situation. I have been into detailing for a while now. Then started doing some weekend warrior work here and there. Then about a year ago a customer/friend approached me with an offer to work for him full time at a new dealership he was starting. Working with higher end used cars. I jumped at the opportunity at first it was great maintaining a fleet of 50ish cars and detailing new ones coming in. A month later he partnered with a larger dealership. I now maintain 4x the amount of cars and detail 2-3 a day. I went from what I call boutique detailing to full production detailing and can't hook a groove to produce consistancy. I am really wanting to up my game for year 2

Sorry for the longer post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips and tricks that help produce same results?

What stage in your know detailing you want to take less time?
    And what is your methods know?
    If the products is sold on AGO what products do you use?
    What detailing machines are you working with?

It's hard to setup a work routine that works on every car. They are in so much of different conditions so you approach them after that. But some kind of of base cleaning method and maintance you could have that is effective. And then tweak it after the conditions they have. Then you have the what your employer expectations from your work. Just some thoughts about things to know to discuss on what different ways to see if we have some input on how we do it instead. And maybe do it so you are intrested to test it out if you benefit to it.

3. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We do "production work" one day a week, anywhere from 4 to 10 cars depending on the whims of the customer and the weather. Like was mentioned above, every car is so different that it's hard to give specifics, but working as a team we've found that one way to streamline the process is.

1. Have your setup rock solid. We're mobile, so we have the generator and vacuum permanently mounted in our trailer. There's two things we're not tripping over. We setup so we have all our tools out and we put them in the same place every time. When we use them, we put them back in the same place.

2. Have a process that works for you. We pull a car into our spot and the first thing we do is open the doors, check the damage inside and pull all the floor mats out. One of us grabs the vacuum hose and starts hitting the inside, the other sprays down the tires and wheels, lets it dwell and then starts cleaning them. After the tires and wheels are clean, we both turn our attention to finishing the inside. Once the inside is finished, we soap it and double team the wash and dry.

3. If that car needs more attention, we move it to another spot and pull in the next car and one of starts working on the next car while the previous car is sealed or waxed or whatever is going on.

5. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The interior is what kills me the most. Right now I pull a car in pull mats vacuum mats and interior. Then I work from the doors inward. Drivers front then rear the pass rear then pass front. Cleaning plastics etc. Then hit the jams with degreaser and move the car outside and pressure wash them out hit engine bay. Wheels then paint them back inside for dressing then parked for photos

Post Thanks / Like

Tips and tricks that help produce same results?

Which vacuum attachments do you use the most?

What’s your process for cleaning wheels & tires? I’d recommend using Meguiars Wheel Brightener for the wheels and Meguiars Super Degreaser for the tires & wheel wells. Dilute both of them 4:1 [4 parts water, 1 part concentrate] and if you can get away with simply spraying on, letting dwell for the directed amount of time and rinsing off with a pressure washer then you’ll save some time there..

Invest in a 20’ vacuum hose if you haven’t already done so.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a 20' hose mainly use a crevice tool and a mini detail kit for tight spots. Brush attachments for less dirty carpets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prerunner06 View Post
    Then I work from the doors inward. Drivers front then rear the pass rear then pass front.

i do first rear doors than front doors , that way you move the seats only once....
    rear driver,front driver, rear pass, front pass, trunk
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prerunner06 View Post
    Have a 20' hose mainly use a crevice tool and a mini detail kit for tight spots. Brush attachments for less dirty carpets.
    Cool, I’m about to pull the trigger on a 20’ hose myself. What diameter is yours? I’ll probably get a 2.5” hose because most of my favorite attachments are 2.5” and I can use an adapter for the smaller 1.25” ones. I wish it would be as manageable as the smaller diameter hoses but I guess you can’t have it all.

Post Thanks / Like

We use a 50' hose. No more lugging the vac anywhere. Just unroll the hose and turn it on. Very nice to not have the vac in the way all the time anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    We use a 50' hose. No more lugging the vac anywhere. Just unroll the hose and turn it on. Very nice to not have the vac in the way all the time anymore.
    So you don’t think 20’ is quite enough?

What vacuum do you use?

What diameter is your 50’ hose?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast