autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Correct configuration of polishing tools in small detailing studio

Hi all!
    Im new here, but not new in detailing. But i have some questions, before opening mine small(on the beginning for sure) detailing service studio. Question is in topic: correct configuration of polishing tools in small detailing studio. I just want to have all polishing tools, which i would use on various cars. Im using now only rotary polisher, but its not good option for every case. I just want to know, what are you using in your studio's. I'm thinking about:

Flex VRG 3401(as a rotary polisher replacement) - for harder work with hardest paints - with stock and 11cm backing plate
    Proxxon WP-E/50 MINI (rotary) - to really small details(and some sanding work) - i would use it with 50mm, 30mm and 15mm backing plate
    Flex Mini Pe 8-4 80 (rotary) - with 75mm backing plate - to tight areas, where flex would be too big.
    Liquid Elements T3000 (Da 10mm) - for cleaners, waxes, easier works on new cars, black piano's panels, or on one step polishing.

Do i need everyting more for this work? I said, that im using now only rotary polisher, and nothing more, so i dont know what would i need in proffesional work on a few cars every month.

Thanks for advice, and greetings from Poland!

2. Thanks nomansland thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes YOBACK liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correct configuration of polishing tools in small detailing studio

Thanks for your reply, but i would avoid Rupes polishers, because i had these in my hands, and it feels and looks like real china product.

I need to ask - Do i really need big rotary polisher when i have VRG? VRG have really good cutting abilities and i think that i dont need rotary with that tool. What do you think?

Do you think that for mini polisher DA is better choice than rotary? I will think about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the PE-14 rotary is very good for quick defect removal, delicate detail work with 1", 2", and 3" pads. The rotary can turn very slow.

About the Rupes,You surely had Rupes copies in your hands because all of the machines I mentioned for use I also own and use. The Rupes are precision machines. The Flex are also. Perhaps you may try them again at a friends shop and change your opinion? Either way I wish you the best of luck with your new studio!

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider to get extensions and smaller backing plates to the Flex pe8 instead of the proxxon. If you like the form of the proxxon I would consider to invest in a Rupes ibrid nano. If you go with the proxxon or the Rupes ibrid nano I would get a Flex xfe8 or a Rupes mini. And if you are going to do wet sanding I would get a rotary polisher to polish the wet sanding marks out. You can polish those out with a 3401vrg or a longthrow polisher but you do it faster with a rotary with the right setup. The 3401vrg has problems to finish on certain paints and not alot of them but when it happens I would have either a 8mm free spinning DA or a longthrow polisher at hands if you happen to get one of those paints.

8. Likes Eldorado2k, Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the use of your word "Studio."

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I like the use of your word "Studio."
    Why studio? - Its simple - i think that car detailing is a part of art. Every artist is doing his job in artistic studio, so i think, that car detailing workspace should be named "Detailing studio" because of that.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Wing Commander

I’ve heard a lot of people down Rupes for many things. But “China product” is not one I’ve heard before. Rupes is by far one of the best tools you can buy. I know everyone has their own preference on here between Rupes and Flex. But if you stray outside of either one of those two companies your asking for problems. Both in your quality of workmanship and durability of your tools. I can’t speak for the Liquid Elements. But as far as the Proxxon goes, they are trash. You can find the same tool made by other manufacturers that have far better quality than Proxxon.

As far as the studio. It’s a good thing to do if you have a small space to work with. I did the same thing in my younger days. If you dress it up and give it a boutique feel. You can draw a high end clientele and make some good money. The drawback to the studio is you will have most mid level clientele pass you by because they think you are out of their price range. You will have more mid level clients out there than high end.

Anyway. I am not trying to discourage you. Just a little helpful advice. Good luck with your journey in detailing.

12. Thanks wing commander thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish Auto View Post

I’ve heard a lot of people down Rupes for many things. But “China product” is not one I’ve heard before. Rupes is by far one of the best tools you can buy. I know everyone has their own preference on here between Rupes and Flex. But if you stray outside of either one of those two companies your asking for problems. Both in your quality of workmanship and durability of your tools.
    I almost never hear anybody mention a Porter Cable polisher breaking down, so I wouldn’t consider buying 1 as “asking for trouble” and it’s made in the USA.

Not everything that’s made in China is crap or sub par quality. My iPhone was made in China, I’ve owned several and they’ve all felt and performed top notch.

Not everything that’s made in Italy is good quality. There’s crap that’s “made in Italy” as well...

Post Thanks / Like

True on the PC. I was mainly just referring to the two major companies. Porter makes a good polisher. But you are limited by the power it makes and that it’s the only polisher they make. I always wondered why they never expanded to other polishing machines considering how popular the 7424xp is.

I agree with the fact that sub par products are made in both countries. All countries make some crap products. But Rupes is by far one of those sub par products.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast