autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pressure that draws water from a tank

    Hello everyone, I am new to the forums. Quick little about me: I am from jersey looking to open a detail this coming april. I am 25 years old and i am a car enthusiasts.

    Now to my question, I am looking for a pressure washer that will be able to draw water from a tank it can be either electric or gas does not matter to my opinion since i am just getting started. I am looking to purchase 100 gallon tank and it will be placed inside a trailer. I do want to run a gravity feed system. I emailed a few companies about power washers that can pull water and they are all telling me i need something that is runs a belt and there like 1200 dollars. I want to stay below 500 will go into 600 if i have to. Anyone know i good power washer that will pull water from a tank that is under 500?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ScottH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterdetail View Post
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forums. Quick little about me: I am from jersey looking to open a detail this coming april. I am 25 years old and i am a car enthusiasts.

    Now to my question, I am looking for a pressure washer that will be able to draw water from a tank it can be either electric or gas does not matter to my opinion since i am just getting started. I am looking to purchase 100 gallon tank and it will be placed inside a trailer. I do want to run a gravity feed system. I emailed a few companies about power washers that can pull water and they are all telling me i need something that is runs a belt and there like 1200 dollars. I want to stay below 500 will go into 600 if i have to. Anyone know i good power washer that will pull water from a tank that is under 500?
    Before I put running water in my garage, I pulled water from a 10 gallon tank with a regular run of the mill Karcher 1,800 psi power washer. Worked absolutely fine - and the tank was on the ground. Sounds like your tank will be a little higher on the floor of a trailer - that may benefit you. But what you want want to consider is placing a small pump inline between the tank and the power washer. In such a case, you would have to supply electric to the water pump, which may not be an option while on the road unless you bring a small generator.

    ScottH

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Before I put running water in my garage, I pulled water from a 10 gallon tank with a regular run of the mill Karcher 1,800 psi power washer. Worked absolutely fine - and the tank was on the ground. Sounds like your tank will be a little higher on the floor of a trailer - that may benefit you. But what you want want to consider is placing a small pump inline between the tank and the power washer. In such a case, you would have to supply electric to the water pump, which may not be an option while on the road unless you bring a small generator.

    ScottH
    I do not want to have to run a pump seems like a lot of work. I want to be able to just have the power washer. I plan on buying a 4000w generator to power some of my smaller tools.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    I ran a honda pressure washer with a cat pump i got from home depot (maybe $800) for about 10 years before it finally went out. I then got another honda with i believe an AR pump ($900) which has been going strong for the past 6 years. I ran a 100 gallon tank and now 160 gallon. I have ran the pressure washer till almost empty on several occasions and never noticed a dip in pressure, but if I even thought it was not getting enough water I would stop it. My advise would be to spend the money right the first time and save yourself the headache. I believe there are electric pumps that are gravity fed for cheaper but i dont think they produce as much psi. It all depends on what you are using it for, but I always liked having the option of cranking up the psi for certain jobs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member KirkH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    You will likely need a pump to keep the pressure high enough for the pressure washer. I have a 270 gallon tank in the truck bed, with a harbor freight DC water pump on the ground going to my pressure washers, a Generac gas model and a Greenworks electric model. I have not seen a setup where gravity will keep the PW pump from cavitating. A check valve on the suction side would help.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY on Facebook
    on Instagram: btchincamarodetailing

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Upwardly Mobile Detailing View Post
    I ran a honda pressure washer with a cat pump i got from home depot (maybe $800) for about 10 years before it finally went out. I then got another honda with i believe an AR pump ($900) which has been going strong for the past 6 years. I ran a 100 gallon tank and now 160 gallon. I have ran the pressure washer till almost empty on several occasions and never noticed a dip in pressure, but if I even thought it was not getting enough water I would stop it. My advise would be to spend the money right the first time and save yourself the headache. I believe there are electric pumps that are gravity fed for cheaper but i dont think they produce as much psi. It all depends on what you are using it for, but I always liked having the option of cranking up the psi for certain jobs.
    I was looking at the following 3

    Honda Pressure washer with protective cage and hose reel Honda GC190

    SIMPSON ALH3228 ALUMINUM 3200 PSI 2.8 GPM HONDA GX200 CAT GAS PRESSURE WASHER MANUFACTURER RFB
    Or
    Honda GX200 6.5HP-AR Pump-2.8GPM-3300PSI


    I will be doing cars on a daily basis and eventually hopefully moving into offering powerwashing to homes and sidewalks etc, buts in the future got dream big lol. I was looking more for gas. I heard Honda motors with cat pumps are the best way to go. I just wanted to check with people to make sure I can just run a power washer and a water tank.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ScottH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterdetail View Post
    I do not want to have to run a pump seems like a lot of work. I want to be able to just have the power washer. I plan on buying a 4000w generator to power some of my smaller tools.
    Try one without a pump and see how it works. Then you'll know for sure ....

    ScottH

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Try one without a pump and see how it works. Then you'll know for sure ....

    ScottH
    I think I worded that wrong I dont want to buy a extra pump I want the pw to have a strong enough pump to be able to pull the water.

  9. #9
    Senior Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    19,318
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterdetail View Post
    I was looking at the following 3

    Honda Pressure washer with protective cage and hose reel Honda GC190

    SIMPSON ALH3228 ALUMINUM 3200 PSI 2.8 GPM HONDA GX200 CAT GAS PRESSURE WASHER MANUFACTURER RFB

    Or
    Honda GX200 6.5HP-AR Pump-2.8GPM-3300PSI

    I will be doing cars on a daily basis and
    eventually hopefully moving into offering
    powerwashing to homes and sidewalks etc,
    buts in the future got dream big lol.

    I was looking more for gas.

    I heard Honda motors with cat pumps
    are the best way to go.


    I just wanted to check with people to make
    sure I can just run a power washer and a
    water tank.
    Yes, it’s possible to run a PW from a
    water tank (gravity fed).

    •One of the keys is to find a pressure washer
    that the Manufacturer states will work via
    gravity-feed.

    •The other key is, that, once you find such a
    gravity-fed pressure washer, make sure that
    its pump meets the following criteria: has a
    “AAA industrial triplex plunger pump”.

    Just as a FYI:
    •The Honda GX200 6.5HP-AR Pump-2.8GPM-
    3300PSI that you listed above does have a:
    “AAA industrial triplex plunger pump”.


    {The other two PWs you listed will need
    further “pump type” researching.}


    Hope this helps.


    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  10. #10
    Senior Member KirkH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pressure that draws water from a tank

    A PW that can be used via gravity feed is over $1000.

    My harbor freight pump was less than $80. With that pump I can use my PWs that each cost less than $300, and I have used them almost 3 years, for cars and decks/sidewalks, etc..

    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY on Facebook
    on Instagram: btchincamarodetailing

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buying a Water Tank, do I need a water pump along with my gas Pressure Waher?
    By 2modfast in forum How to make money detailing cars
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-05-2017, 01:46 PM
  2. MOBILE SET UPS (pressure washer & water tank
    By 215Detailing in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-27-2015, 03:35 PM
  3. Issue with pressure washer and water tank
    By batcat420 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2014, 08:04 PM
  5. Water Tank and Electric Pressure Washer
    By KJW Detailing in forum Auto Detailing Tools and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 06:27 PM

Members who have read this thread: 11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» December 2018

S M T W T F S
252627282930 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 12345