autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member InnovativeAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealership Ceramic Coating

Is there a possible market for one to up-sell Ceramic Coating through a dealership? I am thinking about going to dealerships in my area and making a deal to up-sell a coating to a customer after vehicle purchase. I would charge X amount and pay the dealership X amount for the up-sell.

Would this be a good idea?
    YouTube-Ben Bailey/@innovativeautodetailing on IG/Innovative Auto Detailing-SC on Facebook/IGL Coatings

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealership Ceramic Coating

Would be worth a shot, but most dealerships have an appearance protection package that they up-sell in finance & those carry a warranty. They’d be unlikely to promote anything else they make a ton of money with little expense. Most of these programs don’t even charge the dealership for the products. They just get a cut of the expensive warranty if they sell one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffindetail View Post
    Would be worth a shot, but most dealerships have an appearance protection package that they up-sell in finance & those carry a warranty. They’d be unlikely to promote anything else they make a ton of money with little expense. Most of these programs don’t even charge the dealership for the products. They just get a cut of the expensive warranty if they sell one.
    Ah ok, I see. I may go around to some used car lots.
    YouTube-Ben Bailey/@innovativeautodetailing on IG/Innovative Auto Detailing-SC on Facebook/IGL Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

It’s worth a try. Some dealerships hire outside detailers to detail some of their cars. You can’t go wrong with getting your name to as many people as possible. It’s a numbers game, the more people you contact the more chances you will have to get hired,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    It’s worth a try. Some dealerships hire outside detailers to detail some of their cars. You can’t go wrong with getting your name to as many people as possible. It’s a numbers game, the more people you contact the more chances you will have to get hired,
    That is what I am thinking, I may go ahead and make a few rounds tomorrow after a job. It never hurts to ask!

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that higher end car dealers like Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and the like might be more open to what you are offering. It's more likely the buyer/owner could afford it as opposed to a used car lot buyer.

Also how would it be presented to the potential customer? Seems like this would require a more personal touch rather than a business manager pumping the sale at closing. You need to work this out prior to approaching anyone.

Consider also that dealerships generally set the price they will pay you not the other way around. They will charge whatever they think they can get away with.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I would think that higher end car dealers like Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and the like might be more open to what you are offering. It's more likely the buyer/owner could afford it as opposed to a used car lot buyer.

Also how would it be presented to the potential customer? Seems like this would require a more personal touch rather than a business manager pumping the sale at closing. You need to work this out prior to approaching anyone.

Consider also that dealerships generally set the price they will pay you not the other way around. They will charge whatever they think they can get away with.
    That makes sense, I think for around $600-$800 someone would spring for a Ceramic Coating at a cheaper dealership. My old roommates grandmother opted for a $600 Ceramic Coating in CA after a purchase of a new Toyota I think.

I will be working this out lol, not exactly sure. I am going to figure something out on how to pitch it to dealers.

Well then I would walk from the dealership. I already am willing to give them a huge chunk anyway.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post

My MB dealership offers ceramic coating with a bug/tar/bird ... warranty. It was the same price as most detailers in the area and the dealer did a great job. I did not ask if they use their own staff or if they sub out the work. The only bad part was they really under quoted on the time they would need the car. Not a big issue since it turned out looking much better than any other car on the lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try the obscure smaller boutique used car lots. They may already have a detailer on staff though.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the high end dealers sell the 3m product, and they get a lot for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast