autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Phone Sales - Elevator Speech

How many of you know what an Elevator Speech is? In my Professional career, prior to getting into detailing, I was a Sr. Director/VP of Technical Support at several major software/hardware companies in Silicon Valley. Early on I learned to create an "Elevator speech" a 30 second summary of why a customer should choose my company because of the excellence of the support organization. Something that projects the absolute best of your company while in an elevator with a customer. Very little time and to the point.
    I carried that over to my detailing business and use it on the phone when talking to a customer

You may need to practice but a 30 second speech about what makes you awesome over others, will be a winner. I have gotten a ton if business and many, many compliments from customers that said I made us look better than the competition because I could succinctly tell them what made a difference.

For instance customer calls in and is shopping around for pricing. My elevator speech goes like this:
    We do what other detailers do(this instantly grabs their attention believe it or not, as it is more of a shock statement and not expected), but what separates us from the others is it takes us 6-8 hours to do a car we are that thorough. On the interior we do seat belts visors, headliner(we actually spot clean) and go where no other detailers go. On the exterior, we wash, clay and buff for shine enhancement and then apply the proper product(s) that maximizes what the manufacturer was trying to make happen with the paint ans shine and makes your car stand out.
    Thoughts?

2. Likes Robbo, Maxreed241, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phone Sales - Elevator Speech

You're 100% right. You have to wow the customer with what makes you special. I tell my son all the time "Go over EVERYTHING we do with the customer. If you quote them $215 for something, make sure they feel like they're getting more than $215 in value when you hang up the phone. Because the next guy they call might just say "We'll do a full detail on your car for $175", but that guy didn't tell them and now the customer is wondering if they'll do as thorough of a job and why doesn't this company explain what their job entails."

Without disparaging your competition, you have to set yourself apart from the crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

Elevator pitch I thought it was called?

Post Thanks / Like

Same difference, but am simply amazed at the lack of response to this post. People as sudsmobile states it is the key to delivering why you are different and makes a huge difference between getting the car in the door and being just another ho hum detailer, with a different price.

Post Thanks / Like

Phone Sales - Elevator Speech

Personally, I think it sounds too rehearsed and if it was me calling in and hearing that I’d be turned off because my 1st thought would be “oh great, I bet they say this same thing to Everyone”

And if they give that line to everyone, then what makes me think they’re not going to treat my vehicle like just another number and roll through the motions and forget about me the minute I pay up.

I never rehearse or prepare any kind of “pitch” and instead wing it, I improvise on the fly and use what the live situation offers to my advantage and make it much more personalized to that specific customer. That’s what makes them feel special, not some pre rehearsed salesman pitch.

It also builds a real relationship that’s worth more than just an occasional exchange of money for service.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Eldorado2k. I try to build relationships with people. We did an F350 for a retired battalion chief and we spent probably 45 minutes just shooting the #### about our kids, our military service, etc. Sure, it added 45 minutes to the job, but the guy gave us a really nice tip, said the truck looked fantastic and already scheduled a detail for his wife's SUV.

8. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Steve. If you tell the potential customer the things that make their car special to you, and all the extra time and effort you will put into the detail, etc., it goes a lot further than not stating these things, and just carrying on a conversation with the pc. Always visit with them, but have your "pitch" practiced and perfected, and it can go a long way in securing the pc's trust and hopefully, his (her) business.

It doesn't have to sound like a canned speech.

Bill

10. Thanks DeepReflections thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no right or wrong way to make sales. The best salespeople have learned or will learn over time to evaluate the customer's needs and address them. Some customers want a reason that your company is better. Some customers want the lowest price. Some customers enjoy some chatter on the phone. Figure out what your customer wants from you and if you can give them that you'll make the sale. If they want a $20 wash and you don't do $20 washes, maybe refer them to somebody that does and thank them for their call.

12. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
    I agree with Steve. If you tell the potential customer the things that make their car special to you, and all the extra time and effort you will put into the detail, etc., it goes a lot further than not stating these things, and just carrying on a conversation with the pc. Always visit with them, but have your "pitch" practiced and perfected, and it can go a long way in securing the pc's trust and hopefully, his (her) business.

It doesn't have to sound like a canned speech.

Bill
    Exactly, and maybe it is the area I am in, but call in customers want to cut to the chase, and don't want a 42 minute speech on your benefits. For many, many years I was involved in the sales cycle and yes you need to know your customer at the other end, but you need to be succint and deliver the benefits in 40 seconds or less, if they bite on it, which 90% of mine do, then you can go into details and carry on a longer conversation. I would say I have a 90% conversion rate with this technique. It is the elevator pitch, that gets me in, and then I create an incredible rapport with the customer. When you do it correctly, the customer will be very impressed you can deliver why they should use you in 40 seconds.
    You guys are missing the point. You deliver your benefits, the customer bites and then you build the relationship, if they don't bite, time to move on to the next call.
    Literally with this technique I can distinguish the price shopper over someone serious. The price shopper gets blown off, it not my demographic and I don't waste 42 minutes on the phone trying to get them in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeepReflections View Post
    Exactly, and maybe it is the area I am in, but call in customers want to cut to the chase, and don't want a 42 minute speech on your benefits. For many, many years I was involved in the sales cycle and yes you need to know your customer at the other end, but you need to be succint and deliver the benefits in 40 seconds or less, if they bite on it, which 90% of mine do, then you can go into details and carry on a longer conversation. I would say I have a 90% conversion rate with this technique. It is the elevator pitch, that gets me in, and then I create an incredible rapport with the customer. When you do it correctly, the customer will be very impressed you can deliver why they should use you in 40 seconds.
    You guys are missing the point. You deliver your benefits, the customer bites and then you build the relationship, if they don't bite, time to move on to the next call.
    Literally with this technique I can distinguish the price shopper over someone serious. The price shopper gets blown off, it not my demographic and I don't waste 42 minutes on the phone trying to get them in.
    It’s not about talking for 42min. Nor is it about talking for 40 seconds either.. It’s about listening to what they say and that’s where you take your que and adapt your “pitch” to fit their needs. Whether it’s being able to fit them into your schedule, or maybe you fitting into theirs, etc.

Rambling on nonstop with your pre rehearsed speech is going to mean nothing if they’re calling you about something very specific such as “can you clean up some dog poop in my car”? That’s why it’s important to let the person speak for a few seconds, a minute or 2 and figure out what service you can offer to fit their needs.

It’s like when I call the pizza place for example.. They pick up the phone and start rambling off their mandatory CS lines and offer their current specials or whatever. While they’re doing that I’m thinking in my head “ok could you just shut up and let me order what I always order” I don’t care about anything else except what I know I want, and they better pay attention and get my order right because that’s the most important thing I need them to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast