autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our new detail trailer...

After a while of working out of a full size SUV with a hitch carrier, we finally took the plunge and purchased an enclosed trailer. Got it used with one trip on it for a pretty good price.

I built pretty much everything from scratch. The water tank is 100 gallons and sits in a pocket created from 2x12s and 2x10s. The cabinets I built from 1/2" birch play with cherry face frames. The baskets are held in a 1/2" lip on the face frame. The bottle holders are made from 3" ABS. I'm going to add 5 more but I ran out of ABS.

The pressure washer is mounted on an isolation plate and we take that out and place it on the ground. The generator is mounted to the floor and the exhaust is vented through the side and comes out in the wheel well so totally invisible. The floor was reinforced with 1/2" OSB and carpeted.

The MyTee is strapped to the floor. The vacuum kind of press fits in that area.

The pump is a ShurFlo on demand that feeds a Y for the pressure washer and a hose to fill buckets and bottle. We use only spot free water.

The trailer has it's own Group 27 marine battery installed and I installed a 6 pin trailer plug with a dedicated 12v + and - to help keep the battery charged when we drive. I ran power down both sides to the front and installed an LED light on the left wall. I'm installing two LED light strips on the roof. All will be controlled from a panel mounted on the side of the cabinet by the door which will have a voltmeter, 12v cig lighter plug and 2 USB ports for phones. A switch there will turn the entire panel on and turn on the pump. A switch of the button off turns off all power to everything mounted in the trailer.

Not done yet, but getting pretty close. I have to install a bunch of hooks, holders for brushes, etc, etc.

2. Thanks DBAILEY, 215Detailing thanked for this post
    Dislikes 215Detailing disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our new detail trailer...

the bottle holders on the door is a great idea

4. Thanks sudsmobile thanked for this post
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup! The bottle holders was a smart and clean look and so the fumes outlet to the generator.

How is the weight distribution when the water tank is placed at the front?

6. Thanks sudsmobile thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was always taught keep heavier weight in front of the axle(s) and centered. So far, it's been excellent. I can't even tell it's back there and it doesn't sway.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We also decided this morning that we're going to add another row of cabinets, but 2/3 the length. The same company, Akro Mills, makes a basket that is 24x16x8, so it will hold four more baskets that are double the size of those already installed. We like the larger baskets for tools, brushes, etc and one for our dirty towel hamper. When we get home we just grab the hamper basket and take it into the wash.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How did you attach the PVC to the doors for the bottle holders?

12. Thanks sudsmobile thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    How did you attach the PVC to the doors for the bottle holders?
    I first cut them all to the same length with a jig on my chop saw. Then I used ABS cement and glued them all together on their sides where they touch. Then I drilled a hole in each tube about 1" up from the bottom edge and countersunk it. On the row of 6 on the 2nd and 5th tube, and on the row of 5 on the 2nd and 4th tube, I drilled a hole where the top of the tube meets the door, about an inch up and angled straight enough where I could get a bit into the tube opening and still drive a screw. Then I screwed the whole thing in with 1.5" wood screws.

Post Thanks / Like

Newest project finished. The place where we buy our water uses a 2" flexible PVC hose with a 2" elbow on the end to "hook" into your tank. The hose is BARELY long enough to reach our tank, it requires you to move everything out of the way and climb over everything and then when you take it out you have to be careful to keep it elevated or the water spills all over the trailer. Voila! 2" PVC with a 2" elbow and a male coupler on the end. All we have to do is open the door, press their 2" female elbow on and insert the money. I hope. It hasn't been tested yet.

15. Likes SWETM, DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I took that other hook out and added this hook. I have five of them but I need to figure out the spacing before I install them all. I've got to hurry up and get this mostly finished. We're completely booked tomorrow and Friday and it goes in for a wrap on Thursday. I'm sure Saturday will fill up here pretty quick too.

17. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    All we have to do is open the door, press their 2" female elbow on and insert the money. I hope. It hasn't been tested yet.
    I like the set up!

Be careful with that last bit there. The places I've gone to have some pretty strong pressure. I can see their flex-hose popping up/off your PVC elbow from too much water pressure.

19. Likes Sleper liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast