autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Zoning issues

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Zoning issues

Hello all! I have a question for the ones that have an actual detailing building/shop. Did you had to get a "special permit" to get your zoning approved for detailing? The commercial building I'm looking into is currently an auto repair shop so I'll be approved to continue to provide those services but they are telling me that I need a special permit if I want to detail. Special permit means going through a lot more hoops with the city and takes around 4-6 months plus extra money/permits according to the guy I talked to.

Any input on this would be appreciated 👍

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zoning issues

I am mostly an enthusiast detailer, but starting to do "paying jobs" so my situation is one of a "home occupation" that is sanctioned in many jurisdictions' zoning ordinances. That is not your situation, of course, but my "real" job has dealt with zoning matters. Years ago, I administered a zoning ordinance as part of my job. Anyway, I cannot see how detailing is any different than an auto repair shop. As you would expect, some auto repairs do wash cars or other work, even body work. You are doing a subset of what an auto repair shop can do. Paint correction IS repair. Likely, what you will do is less offensive compared to most auto repair shops.

Where are you located? I know nothing more than what you wrote, but I would first ask to see the zoning ordinance. Is the "special permit" in that document or is it a separate ordinance? I would like to see what this "special permit" is designed for. I have seen municipal staff make their own interpretations of permits, etc. that may not be legally correct. That is the first step. I hate to see you spend money but you may want to talk to a LAND USE attorney. A lot of times a savvy attorney experienced in such matters can yield good results. I would try to find an attorney has has two qualifications: handles land use issues AND knows the jurisdiction, and hopefully, the city staff person or department you are dealing with. If this is a small town, you don't want a "Philadelphia lawyer" that does not know the lay of the land. My advice is good for what you paid for, nothing LOL.