autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealership Ceramic Coating

Quote Originally Posted by InnovativeAutoDetail View Post
    That makes sense, I think for around $600-$800 someone would spring for a Ceramic Coating at a cheaper dealership. My old roommates grandmother opted for a $600 Ceramic Coating in CA after a purchase of a new Toyota I think.

I will be working this out lol, not exactly sure. I am going to figure something out on how to pitch it to dealers.

Well then I would walk from the dealership. I already am willing to give them a huge chunk anyway.
    I think if you do this you have to apply a real permanent coating not a 2 year product like Mckees coating or something like that. You have to actually install a professional grade coating that requires getting certified. At least thats my understanding

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting more an more into Ceramic coatings, and have established myself as an exclusive Northern California distributor for a couple of selected products. In talking to dealers, yes they do sell alot of cars, but are looking for maximum profit in their books versus yours. My experience is they are looking for a 50% or great cut over your list price. Since the ones we sell go from easy to apply but only last 2 years to very difficult to apply but you get a lifetime warranty. The lifetime is what they are after, but not willing to truly pay for it. Most of the time it is simply not worth the time you put into it versus the payoff/profit.
    I have found by promoting the various coatings, I outrun anything that the dealers can offer, and am very booked up with the coating side of my business from retail customers.

Post Thanks / Like

As a car buyer I would love to have had that option. Instead, my dealer talked me in to a product called CilaJet. At the time, I knew nothing about detailing. I joined this forum AFTER I bought my dream car ('13 BMW 650iX) After a few minuted on the forum I realized I had made a $900 mistake. The car was three years old and the paint was in fairly good condition, but far from perfect. The "detailer" clayed the car and applied the coating. After I learned how to look at paint, I discovered the swirls, RIDS and marring that were now happily sealed under this product.

So, I joined Autogeek, purchased a Flex and a variety of products (Megs, Pinnacle, Menz, WGDGPS) and buffed off the coating and improved the paint to about 90%. I would never purchase an option like that again, but if I had a chance to get a new car polished and coated by a true professional detailer, I would jump at the chance.

I learned that this service is really just a profit center for the dealer. Too bad, but at least I learned how to care for my paint. Thanks Autogeeks!

Post Thanks / Like

Dealerships have a very weird way of looking at it. When it comes to detailing, they want to spend as little as they can. I have been working for a used car dealer since November. They purchase cars through auctions and also do trade-ins for their customers. Half the car I do for them are in ok condition and only need either a light polish or just a good detail and sealant. The other half are completelly trashed. 3 weeks ago they did a trade in on a 2009 Black Toyota Corolla. The car had about 50 deep scratches all over the car and the right side 2 doors had been keyed, and the scratch had pierced the clearcoat and basecoat. The person who keyed the car did large circles all over both doors. The interior was just as bad. Cloth seats and there were huge stains all over the back seats and the car had never been cleaned since purchase for sure, one of the dirtiest car I have seen.

So, I told the manager that this would take at least 2 days to get in decent shape, and for a perfect job he was looking at at least 20 hours of work. I knew he would not be willing to pay for that for a car worth so little. He asked me if I could do it for 350$. I told him that the only way I could do it for so little was to leave the deep scatches in place. Wet sanding takes way too much time to be able to fit in such a small budget. So we agreed to try to wet sand the keyed side to try to diminish the appearance and do a 1 step correction over the car and clean the interior. The job took me 11 hours to do, and I charged him 400$ for it (a 10% discount from my normal rate). He was still not happy about the price... That is how they think. A job like that retails is about 1000$

There is a reason cars come out of dealerships all swirled up, they hire people who will charge them the least amount of money. So you can't expect the job to be done correctly when they are only willing to pay a fraction of what is needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12