Going back to the original question and apologize for the late response. My coating business has simply taken off and I am booked two-three weeks out for $1000+ coating jobs. Now having said that I am in an area of Silicon Valley that is incredibly expensive, so all things are relative.
You need to research coating prices in your area, then make a decision do you price slightly higher and get a more exclusive crowd, or price lower and deal with coupon clippers.
I am priced higher than my competition and can do an "elevator" presentation(30 seconds or less that summarizes why I am better than my competition) that 90% of the time seals the deal. I can tell when a customer calls, they are shopping, so I tell them to ask the following questions that pertain to my shop and my quality of work. If that shop can one up me, and prove it, go with them. 95% call back and schedule.
I won't quote exact prices over the phone, I give a range and tell customers I need to see the car before I commit to a price.
Do I get "oh my, I had no idea you were that expensive!" Not a customer I want. Did I lose some business, you bet, but chances are very high these are the nitpickers that suck you dry. Those are the ones I want to send to my competition and let them get drawn down into the abyss of complaints.