autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you offer paint coating warranty?

Hey guys,

I am working on my packages for next year and I am evaluating the possibility of offering a warranty for my paint coating packages.

The reason for this is that almost every people who calls me for a paint coating asks for one. I guess the other detaillers in town are offering it and I am getting tired of arguing about it.

So if you are offering a warranty, what coating are you offering and what are the conditions for that warranty?

Also, do you charge extra for it, or do you require special things like a yearly maintenance once applied?

Finally what are you charging for your coating packages?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you offer paint coating warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    ...offering a warranty for...paint coating...

The reason for this is that almost every
    people who calls me for a paint coating
    asks for one.

I guess the other detaillers in town
    are offering it and I am getting tired
    of arguing about it.
    Who are you arguing with...
    (potential) Coating Customers?

Would you please be so kind to give
    an example, or two, of the typical
    phraseology that’s being used in an
    argument of this nature? TIA.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can become an authorized installer for Optimum or Car Pro and offer a manufacturers warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    See if you can become an authorized installer for Optimum or Car Pro and offer a manufacturers warranty.
    Not a big fan of the Optimum program. They have minimum purchases requirements that I would not be able to meet as a mobile detailer.

5. Likes InnovativeAutoDetail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Who are you arguing with...
    (potential) Coating Customers?

Would you please be so kind to give
    an example, or two, of the typical
    phraseology that’s being used in an
    argument of this nature? TIA.

Bob
    Arguing is the wrong translation.... I am just tired of having to explain why some products have warranties and others don't.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to see if anyone has actually had a customer make good on a warranty claim. I mean we all know 90% of the cars aren't going to be maintained properly so it seems like an easy out for any coating manufacturer.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

8. Thanks willyray18 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The warranty is a business upsell. You buy the coating and then pay the detailer to wash and maintain your cars according to the manufacturer regime. Yes your paint coating will last if that is followed. Essentially at the same time, it's an increase in business for the initial installer as well since the detailer is being paid to do all the washes. However... The warranty program is absolutely pointless for actual protection. I can argue six days to Sunday that the coating is still there but unless you are willing to get a very expensive device to do that.. prove that it's gone too.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    The warranty is a business upsell. You buy the coating and then pay the detailer to wash and maintain your cars according to the manufacturer regime. Yes your paint coating will last if that is followed. Essentially at the same time, it's an increase in business for the initial installer as well since the detailer is being paid to do all the washes. However... The warranty program is absolutely pointless for actual protection. I can argue six days to Sunday that the coating is still there but unless you are willing to get a very expensive device to do that.. prove that it's gone too.
    Yes I know. That is what I have been explaining to prospects for 3 years. If you go with someone who offers a warranty, you will have to pay almost twice as much at time of the coating, and then you will have to pay every year for the maintenance you HAVE to do. Still, coatings are my weakest closing rate product. On cleaning, polishing and compounds I close about 60% of the calls I receive. It went down since I placed an add in the yellow pages's website... used to be around 80%. But on coatings, I close maybe 10% of the calls. And every single person who calls me ask about what warranty I offer. So I am fairly certain this is the issue. So I am thinking about offering a coating with warranty... I just am not to sure how to go about it. Of course I could apply to be Opti-Coat Pro authorized like Rsurfer suggested but when I checked 2 years ago you had to take the training with Yvan for about 1000$ then purchase a ton of product. I do about 5 coatings per year right now... so there is no way I could install enough coatings during the 6 months I operate out of the year to meet the purchase requirements.

So my thinking is, I will offer the warranty myself, and if something happens I will re-install for free. Heck if I can charge more at time of installation and add maintenance plans on top of it the odd chances of having to re-apply are not really an issue moneywise.

But I would really like to get some hard facts on how the warranties work and how much people are charging for warrantied coatings.

11. Likes InnovativeAutoDetail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree about it being an upsell of sorts for a coating ....but in the example of Optimum ,the coating warranty is backed by actual insurance (Libery Mutual if I'm not mistaken) which if you are a certified installer protects you and the customer alike. Its not necessarily about getting the customer back to you to properly maintain....

OP....Many of the companies that offer pro coatings will require a minimum purchase requirement, but they also give you discounts on products. Just one pro coating install at the recommended retail price will cover your monthly requirement for a few months ...I'd say give it a shot I'd be willing to bet they would work with you for a few months to help you get installs ....remember if you succeed they succeed.

Post Thanks / Like

No way I offer warranty.I give them all the info they need such as good wash habits and products that protect the coating.Such as reset for the soap and reload every chance they get.Unfornatley I'm not into the business of washing cars.They will run it through the swirl o matic and lie to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast