autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking the plunge and looking for a little expert guidance

Hello all,

I have spent the last few months looking through all the forum posts related to any questions that I may have about starting my detail business. Most of my questions have been answered by reading through past posts, however there are just a few things that I'm still trying to work out and hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

To start, my business will be mobile doing weekend and one weekday that I have off. I plan to work this way for a while until I'm at the point where my customer base allows me to hopefully go full time and open up a little shop, and hire a few employees, but for now I'm the lone ranger.

With that said, I have been going over and over the various services that I have offered and have seem to land on this idea. My thought is to offer a complete int/ext detail and set my prices according to vehicle size and condition. I will split my full detail package into doing Int or Ext detail only if the customer request that. My additional services will include headlight restoration, 1 and 2 step paint correction and ultimately coating. All additional services will include the full in/out detail. Finally, I will have my monthly maintenance plan, and a fleet package for some various business in the city that have showed some interest.

A little note, for products used in my full detail, I plan on using a spray wax after drying (Opt or Megs X-wax), and any heavy stains in the interior I will get with the steamer, and of course clean/condition any leather seats. For my one step I will use an AIO either HD Speed, Megs Paint correcting Cream, or Menz. Would it be more cost effective to use an AIO in my full detail as opposed to a spray wax?

My goal with only offering this package is that I'm trying to be the detail guy that people call when they are willing to have there car completely worked through, not just for the simple wash/dry/vac, heres $50 bucks and onto the next one. I feel that offering the simple wash/wax/dry services as a single guy running part time mobile would cause me some burnout.

If you made it to the end, thank you. Looking at my thoughts and where my mind is out with starting out do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions that I may need to add or change to make sure that I can get off the ground without too hard of a take-off. I love cars and the detail that goes along with them, maybe its the instant gratification of hard work and technique that excites me about the whole thing. But, ultimately I want to share that passion with my customers and I don't want to short change anyone.

Thanks in advance and ill keep an eye on this thread and answer any questions you may have.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking the plunge and looking for a little expert guidance

I think you have the right approach. Focus on lucrative jobs and turn down the grind of doing washes. Especially if you are part time where you want the work you do to be worth your time.

You will find that getting customers is the hard part of this profession. So you should focus your efforts on having a good website, facebook page and any other advertizing you can manage to do.

The easiest way to start is to do free details for friends and familly and take a lot of pictures and videos to promote your services.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the ideas on doing good advertizing. Aside from facebook, do you recommend any places to build a quality site preferably free or for a decent price that wont break the bank?

Post Thanks / Like

I like your approach as well but want to offer a few thoughts. First, the majority of folks want those wash and wax $50 jobs. It’s a perfect platform to use for educating them on the differences in what they know vs what you know and can do. The wash and wax client base is an opportunity market. For example, you can upsell decontamination services, sealants, etc. You also build a targeted client list from a broader base. When I do a wash and wax, I might include clay mitting on the hood to result in a better service and add clients. They’ll notice better results and I inform them about what I’ve done. My wash and wax will look better. Those jobs sometimes fill in the gaps between the perfecting jobs we all love to do. As mentioned above, I also gave away a few services to jump start my business as I am also part time and a lone wolf. My biggest boost comes from my once a week business posting on FB (usually a job I’ve done, a description of the service and education on detailing/detailing services. I’ve become a step above the common wash guys and more of an expert as folks seek me via my postings. Referrals also help. Just a few off the top of my head thoughts. Best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

when starting learn the power of saying NO

also remember you need to turn a profit so know what your hr needs to be to make a profit and KNOW the customers. way to many people offer to much and the customer has no clue or no care that you did it. its find to over deliver but know when and how.

also remember this is their detail not yours so what you think should be done might have zero bearing on them, so know what the want and charge accordingly as to not get burnt out of work that's not noticed or appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to make it worth your while and show high quality work. Are you on instagram? Have your own business cards set up? A great way too is to see if there's any car clubs around you, or car shows. Hand your card out there with examples of your work. Hell do a few freebies for friends and family, and show before and after. Don't worry about short changing your customers, make sure you don't short change yourself. Best way to start is to knock off a few good solid details, even if they're freebies for friends and family just to have some of those pictures. Pick your products right. Use rinseless/waterless when its suited for. Get your techniques down and know what market you're going to aim for. I don't know what car you drive, but make sure it's always spotless when you go to meet with potential clients.

One of the best sellers I find is knowing the science of it all. Why does bird poo etch? What is PH levels? What exactly are bonded contaminants? Etc etc etc. Know the science of your products. Know why those car washes are chemically bad for your car and not just because of the brushes, that sort of thing. Why does oil based dressing leave things worse than they are? That way when they ask why you charge more for something, well you can back it up with scientific fact. If a potential client asks you a question, give them the answer so that they see how much you care about cars and detailing, and how knowledgable you are.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    You have to make it worth your while and show high quality work. Are you on instagram? Have your own business cards set up? A great way too is to see if there's any car clubs around you, or car shows. Hand your card out there with examples of your work. Hell do a few freebies for friends and family, and show before and after. Don't worry about short changing your customers, make sure you don't short change yourself. Best way to start is to knock off a few good solid details, even if they're freebies for friends and family just to have some of those pictures. Pick your products right. Use rinseless/waterless when its suited for. Get your techniques down and know what market you're going to aim for. I don't know what car you drive, but make sure it's always spotless when you go to meet with potential clients.

One of the best sellers I find is knowing the science of it all. Why does bird poo etch? What is PH levels? What exactly are bonded contaminants? Etc etc etc. Know the science of your products. Know why those car washes are chemically bad for your car and not just because of the brushes, that sort of thing. Why does oil based dressing leave things worse than they are? That way when they ask why you charge more for something, well you can back it up with scientific fact. If a potential client asks you a question, give them the answer so that they see how much you care about cars and detailing, and how knowledgable you are.
    ALOT of good advice in a small space here ^^^

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again guys for the advice....keep it coming. I do have some friends cars and trucks lined up that they will allow me to detail and get pictures and use various products to see what I like. I need to also get a copy of Renny's book ASAP! Looks like an xmas gift for me is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline