autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on "paying dues"?

Hey everyone!

I am in college and starting to do detailing as a side thing. I know detailing is word of mouth and I had a lady recommend me to another person based solely on the phone conversation.

Right now I feel like the prices I have given are quite low. What i'm wondering about is that a smart move just to get that word of mouth and "pay my dues" with the crappy jobs or should I start bringing my prices up to where I feel they need to be for any new clients?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on "paying dues"?

Don't sell yourself short. If you do good work they will come.

3. Likes Nabors, jwilso58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There isn't one formula for success in detailing. Here are my $0.02. Businesses and livelihoods are built and sustained on profit - not cost or noble efforts and intentions alone. Finding the right balance is key. In my IT consulting business I do keep rates and prices close but some customers get more discounts than others - my world, my call.

1. DO Supply services to the market using quick and efficient methods and prices that sustain the business
    2. DO Have a business plan - no matter how simple, long or tedious the task
    3. DO Update that business plan as you learn more; consider keeping a log of your interactions on each job so you can improve running the business over and above performing the services
    4. DO Have a value proposition supporting the above and be smart about standing up for your policies and the clientele you permit to enter and support your business
    5. DO Offer discounts with loyal customers that give you repeat business and free advertising/referrals
    6. DO Invest 10% of what you make on improving yourself; business training, financials, sales, negotiation, etc... Studies have shown that this is a critical success factor

5. Likes Nabors liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never accept crappy jobs at next to no margin unless you are desperate for customers. Word of mouth is only good if that word is positive. Slightly less than market prices are acceptable if you are looking to gain some first time customers. Start with a basic package for a thorough cleaning, then in the future try to upsell some options like paint correction, paint sealant, vinyl and leather treatments, carpet cleaning etc.

7. Likes Nabors liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheap prices bring cheap customers. They are rarely satisfied. Set your prices fairly, but do extra good work. Fair pricing brings good customers. Good luck.

Bill

9. Likes Nabors liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a balance. If it comes down to taking $175 vs $0, and you really need that $175, then it's a no brainer.

I don't turn a customer away because they don't want to pay $350-500 for a full detail. If someone says that is too much for their budget, I tell them

"I have a package for your price that I am sure would work for you." Then I ask them how much they have to spend. If they say $175, I figure that for that price I can give them 3.5 hours of my time. So I tell them what I can get done on their car in 3.5 hours. Nearly every customer goes for that.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

11. Likes Nabors, mwoolfso, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the responses! I have my prices set for about $25 an hour for the 2 customers I have Thursday and Friday (each have multiple vehicles).

mwoolfso: I would like to work my way into more quality vehicles or quality customers, but at this point I am just trying to get customers in general.

UncleDavy: I will definitely work the more extensive options.

rangerbay: I'm HOPING that this isn't the case, but i'll be mentally prepared in case I come across this.

KirkH: That is a great way to go about it that I will try to remember moving forward.

I think like a lot of people that get into this as a "side" gig have the thought of making a nice classic or exotic car look as good as possible. For me at least, without having satisfied clients under my belt, I don't feel comfortable approaching people at car shows sitting next to their babies and offer my services when I only have done mine and family/friends cars.

I guess my next question is less about money, but more about how I can start moving toward those higher class markets? I know that people who really love their cars would generally be willing to pay for that extra quality that they feel will leave them with something they are happy with versus a cheap detailer. Bridging the gap between "paying dues and getting clients" and "he's kind of pricey but does really good work."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nabors View Post
    Thank you everyone for the responses! I have my prices set for about $25 an hour for the 2 customers I have Thursday and Friday (each have multiple vehicles).

mwoolfso: I would like to work my way into more quality vehicles or quality customers, but at this point I am just trying to get customers in general.

UncleDavy: I will definitely work the more extensive options.

rangerbay: I'm HOPING that this isn't the case, but i'll be mentally prepared in case I come across this.

KirkH: That is a great way to go about it that I will try to remember moving forward.

I think like a lot of people that get into this as a "side" gig have the thought of making a nice classic or exotic car look as good as possible. For me at least, without having satisfied clients under my belt, I don't feel comfortable approaching people at car shows sitting next to their babies and offer my services when I only have done mine and family/friends cars.

I guess my next question is less about money, but more about how I can start moving toward those higher class markets? I know that people who really love their cars would generally be willing to pay for that extra quality that they feel will leave them with something they are happy with versus a cheap detailer. Bridging the gap between "paying dues and getting clients" and "he's kind of pricey but does really good work."
    Classic car owners will pay almost anything to have their 'babies" taken care of. Always provide quality work no matter what the price or condition of the car. It's great to make money but at the end of the day you also have to be happy with yourself and the job that you have accomplished. Most of us detail because we have a passion for clean and shiny cars and not to get rich quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Classic car owners will pay almost anything to have their 'babies" taken care of. Always provide quality work no matter what the price or condition of the car. It's great to make money but at the end of the day you also have to be happy with yourself and the job that you have accomplished. Most of us detail because we have a passion for clean and shiny cars and not to get rich quick.
    That's why I decided to go into it versus going back into retail. I really enjoy getting to make a car pop. I also worked for a couple of dealerships and the corners I was taught to cut just felt wrong, 25 cars in an hour takes the satisfaction out of transforming a car. I am at at least 1 car show a week and am always talking to people. I was kicking around the idea of getting some business cards made up and handing them to the people I talk to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nabors View Post
    That's why I decided to go into it versus going back into retail. I really enjoy getting to make a car pop. I also worked for a couple of dealerships and the corners I was taught to cut just felt wrong, 25 cars in an hour takes the satisfaction out of transforming a car. I am at at least 1 car show a week and am always talking to people. I was kicking around the idea of getting some business cards made up and handing them to the people I talk to.
    Great idea. Staples online has a template where you can design and print your own business cards for a cheap price. Social media like a Facebook or LinkedIn page is another great way to get your business some exposure. I thought of doing something like that after I retire for some supplemental income. You may want to get with an accountant and set up an S Corporation. You can write off any expenses and any income gets rolled into your personal income. It also protects your personal assets in the case that someone decides to sue you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast