autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What dose a high-end consist of?h

Hello. I would like to know what the forum thinks a high-end bumper to bumper detail is

Mike Phillips

Re: What dose a high-end consist of?h

Quote Originally Posted by webringtheshine View Post

Hello. I would like to know what the forum thinks a high-end bumper to bumper detail is
    Hi webringtheshine,

Saw you pending account come through yesterday as I was approving new accounts.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline

You'll probably find a lot of different opinions on what a high-end detail is, my brain never really thinks in terms of "hi-end" but in the level of paint correction a person wants. More correction means more time and should mean more money. I think this is where the majority of detailers suffer in that they don't charge enough for their time, energy and work when doing multiple step correction work.

But to your questions, high-end to me would be the full meal deal, that is full exterior paint correction with the customer's choice of a wax, sealant or paint coating, depending upon how much they want to pay (more steps = higher cost), and also the type of car and how the car is washed.

The interior would be whatever it takes to make it right.

Some guys would go wheel-off and detail the front and back of the rims, the wheel wheels, brake calibers, axels, etc.

The above could include engine, headlight and glass polishing.

Here's a question back at you...

What do you think high-end bumper to bumper detailing includes?

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the pros here occasionally post what they did for a detail. In summary I would say:

• full paint correction (wash, iron removal, clay, 1 or 2 step polish) + coating or sealant
    • wheel cleaning + coating + tire product, maybe wheels removed, wheel wells cleaned, maybe darkened with product
    • trim/bumpers cleaned, restored if needed, and protected
    • full interior including carpet cleaning (steaming and/or extraction) seat cleaning/leather treatment, the right product applied to all hard interior surfaces, headliner cleaned (carefully)
    • windows in and out, maybe glass coating

On top of this there could be extras like paint chip repair, headlight restoration, glass polishing, engine detailing, and other stuff I've forgotten to mention. A full high quality detail is a crazy amount of work.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Some of the pros here occasionally post what they did for a detail. In summary I would say:

• full paint correction (wash, iron removal, clay, 1 or 2 step polish) + coating or sealant
    • wheel cleaning + coating + tire product, maybe wheels removed, wheel wells cleaned, maybe darkened with product
    • trim/bumpers cleaned, restored if needed, and protected
    • full interior including carpet cleaning (steaming and/or extraction) seat cleaning/leather treatment, the right product applied to all hard interior surfaces, headliner cleaned (carefully)
    • windows in and out, maybe glass coating

On top of this there could be extras like paint chip repair, headlight restoration, glass polishing, engine detailing, and other stuff I've forgotten to mention. A full high quality detail is a crazy amount of work.
    Thanks for your insight. You have changed my whole view on detailing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a customer some years ago who had entered his new to him 1986 Ferrari 328 in a show and concours event. To me, at the time, that was the first "high end" detail for me because it meant paying particular attention to every "detail" of the detail. Every aspect of the car, inside and out, was assessed and cleaned.

He was a coworker of mine and even though I charged him for my time, he also worked alongside me and would ask what he should do with this or that throughout the work. Whatever he did I checked and fixed or let it ride cus it looked good.

He won one of the second place awards and ever since then I told him to get the judges "rule book"! Not for him to win higher next time but for my "training" to get first place for either him or the next customer! I personally didn't think we missed anything...inside or out and top to bottom. To me that will always be the "high end" detail. Every nook and cranny.

I don't get many of those and focus on what Mike P. suggested above. A high end job for me is the most discerning customer expectations and then wowing them when it's delivered back!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I had a customer some years ago who had entered his new to him 1986 Ferrari 328 in a show and concours event. To me, at the time, that was the first "high end" detail for me because it meant paying particular attention to every "detail" of the detail. Every aspect of the car, inside and out, was assessed and cleaned.

He was a coworker of mine and even though I charged him for my time, he also worked alongside me and would ask what he should do with this or that throughout the work. Whatever he did I checked and fixed or let it ride cus it looked good.

He won one of the second place awards and ever since then I told him to get the judges "rule book"! Not for him to win higher next time but for my "training" to get first place for either him or the next customer! I personally didn't think we missed anything...inside or out and top to bottom. To me that will always be the "high end" detail. Every nook and cranny.

I don't get many of those and focus on what Mike P. suggested above. A high end job for me is the most discerning customer expectations and then wowing them when it's delivered back!
    Thanks for the insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight.
    You didn't answer Mike P's question.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll say that at the time of my original post I really had no ideal at all but now I say high-end could be as far as you want want to go with your detail leaving no stone unturned!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll say that at the time of my original post I really had no ideal at all but now I say high-end could be as far as you want want to go with your detail leaving no stone unturned!!!
    Good enough.