autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Insurance for mobile detailing business

I just finished establishing business name, EIN #, and Bank Account. It's time for business insurance now. I'm going to talk to a local insurance company on Monday.

Any hot topics or things to be aware of that pertain specifically to mobile side of detailing? I'm not very knowledgeable in this arena.

Thank you in advance

Chris Roop

Mike Phillips

Re: Insurance for mobile detailing business

Hi Chris,

Sorry no one on the forum has replied to your thread yet... looks like you posted this last Saturday and while I watch the forum on weekends and sometimes chime in, it's a bad idea to work 7 days a week, it leads to a bad family relationship in most cases etc.

It's been years since I've had a full time business so currently I don't carry insurance and work under the Autogeek Corporate policy which is very exhaustive. Plus... I try real hard not to make mistakes.

That said, I'm pretty good at doing "Searches" on this forum so below are some links for you to check out and there should be some good info in them...

Our forum software used to turn links into "titles" of the thread automatically? Not sure what happened to this feature but it sure was cool when it worked.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...k-through.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...insurance.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ng-advice.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-per-year.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...insurance.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...e-license.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ns-advice.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-per-year.html

Post Thanks / Like

When i was setting mine up i went with 100k single vehicle value (with a max of 1 million total value) since it is rare i get anything over 90k in value. But when going over the paperwork i saw that if i am ever off by more than 10% in vehicle value (above my insured value) i will not be covered. I also thout of how i have a customer that has 2 vehicles that are 150k that i work on semi regularly and would not want something to happen and not be covered. It only cost another $65 per year to bump it up another 50k just to keep things covered. I went with 1 million in liability as the insurance associate suggested but just keep an eye on the smaller details as they can be the things that can leave you holding the bag if you make a mistake.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to incorporate your business to remove personal liability. That's how business can operate for the long term. There's all types of insurance like general liability, garage insurance (specific insurance that insures the car while it's under the watch of a mechanic/detailer), and WSIB (Workplace safety incase workers get damaged).

Incorporation is the first step though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how nrosdal has liability insurance for his detailing business. Most insurance companies will insure you for your tools, moving and storing a customers vehicle. But I have yet to find one that will cover you for screwing up a customers car thru your own fault. I'm sure if you are a large operation it can be done, but make sure to ask very specific questions to you adjuster such as what is my coverage if I burn the paint on a corvette and the owner wants it repainted. Or even what happens if a customer claims to have had a severe reaction to a chemical I used in their car. Yes this is a topic that has been beaten to death and you could probably read about it for hours on this forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikehookipa View Post
    You need to incorporate your business to remove personal liability. That's how business can operate for the long term. There's all types of insurance like general liability, garage insurance (specific insurance that insures the car while it's under the watch of a mechanic/detailer), and WSIB (Workplace safety incase workers get damaged).

Incorporation is the first step though.
    I plan on setting up an LLC soon.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrosdal View Post
    When i was setting mine up i went with 100k single vehicle value (with a max of 1 million total value) since it is rare i get anything over 90k in value. But when going over the paperwork i saw that if i am ever off by more than 10% in vehicle value (above my insured value) i will not be covered. I also thout of how i have a customer that has 2 vehicles that are 150k that i work on semi regularly and would not want something to happen and not be covered. It only cost another $65 per year to bump it up another 50k just to keep things covered. I went with 1 million in liability as the insurance associate suggested but just keep an eye on the smaller details as they can be the things that can leave you holding the bag if you make a mistake.
    Does that cover if you actually mess something up during the detailing process?

8. Likes ethank liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Insurance for mobile detailing business

I stumbled across this thread when searching for insurance for mobile detailing business.

I know Liberty Mutual small business offers decent pricing for mobile auto detailing insurance.

The # I have for them is 844 852-0134

Hope this helps.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColor View Post
    I just finished establishing business name, EIN #, and Bank Account. It's time for business insurance now. I'm going to talk to a local insurance company on Monday.

Any hot topics or things to be aware of that pertain specifically to mobile side of detailing? I'm not very knowledgeable in this arena.

Thank you in advance

Chris Roop
    Which company you have choose then? i am in same boat and wanted to have business insurance, Few people are recommending me on liability insurance, Let me know what was your experience, Thanks