autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Something to do During Retirement

I love detailing my cars and right now it is just a weekend/spare time hobby. Now that I am in my 50s I think about future retirement years and the possibility of making some money detailing cars in my 60s and 70s. Has anyone else had the same thoughts or have actually been successful as a detailer in retirement?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Something to do During Retirement

I retire next year from the Armed forces. I would love to detail as a retirement income. My wife however is not so keen on the idea. I may just try on weekends. Good luck if you go fourth with your plan and idead.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I retired from state government in May 2017. I have successfully restored my income to pre-retirement level doing mobile detailing. I would love to have more business and make more money, but that will take more marketing-including social media- than I am willing to do right now. I get customers with word of mouth referrals and from my directly speaking to people who admire my own car.

Regarding detailing into your 60's and 70's: I am in great shape and 50 years old but I still get repetitive use/over use injuries from detailing. I am sure they will get worse as I age.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    my own car.

Regarding detailing into your 60's and 70's: I am in great shape and 50 years old but I still get repetitive use/over use injuries from detailing. I am sure they will get worse as I age.
    Believe me it will Kirk.

Post Thanks / Like

I did some 'under the table' work until last year. The home front just was taking much to much time and nothing left (body wise) to continue.

Oh, turned 74 this summer.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the same boat as you UncleDavy. I just retired last year after 30 years in law enforcement. I have been working in a support role the last year and half in state government and am considering retiring completely in January. I am looking to support my income with detailing again when Spring comes around. I am not looking to do anything extensive but something limited to compliment another part time job.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe... detailing my 3 cars is pretty hard on the body in my 50s and I'm in decent shape. I think you'll want to get the right tools (pads, stools, etc). and a good long throw machine that takes less muscle to operate.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I am in my 50's too (just went over the 'hump') and only do this as my 'side hustle'. I have found the 'work' part easier if I maintain a regular exercise/cardio routine - 30 minutes of stair climbing 3 days a week for me. It makes a long detailing day less painful, and I am not so tired either.

Post Thanks / Like

I retired 4 yrs ago at age 56. Always loved detailing (or at least I thought I was detailing) but wanted to learn more. Internet searches brought me to Junkman and Darrien and I watched their videos. My search also lead me to AG and I became product fixated and wanted to learn more. I knew I'd eventually do it as a business (small, part time) so I wanted to test my interest and skills so I attended Mike Phillip's detail boot camp 3 yrs ago. Learned a ton about products, tools, processes and met some great folks (Flex team, other detailers and enthusiast, Mike, Nick, etc). But what I really got was assurance that I knew what I was doing and had the passion to do the work and be good at it. I like a lot of folks initially kept researching, thinking, looking at videos, rethinking, talking...but not acting. Finally said go for it, printed up cards, got my pricing, put up a website and started talking myself up on Facebook, subdivision newsletters, neighboring newsletters, etc. Great service and work gets folks talking about you. So yes, I did it. If it weren't for another business venture, I'd open a shop and teach a select few what I've learned. As a few have mentioned, it is physically demanding work so things like rest, hydration, pacing yourself, knowing your body and limits all come into play. But if it's in you with passion coupled with the willingness to keep learning, nothing can stop you.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a great idea. You're retired, it's not like you're going to do this 5 days a week. Plus, I'm a believer that detailing is good exercise. Exercise and make some money doing something you like, why wouldn't you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast