autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Story - How an Old Client reacted to my New Prices

As stated depends a lot on location.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Demographics are everything.People here in fla would never pay that much maybe 1200.00 tops that's why I entered the aero sector.More consistent top dollar for quality work.In NYC there are many people who will pay more for quality work its all about the market and the quality clients.There are no quality clients that will pay for such amount of money here.

Post Thanks / Like

Demographics are everything.People here in fla would never pay that much maybe 1200.00 tops that's why I entered the aero sector.More consistent top dollar for quality work.In NYC there are many people who will pay more for quality work its all about the market and the quality clients.There are no quality clients that will pay for such amount of money here in fla.

Post Thanks / Like

Great video! Really enjoyed that story. Also have enjoyed your written posts here with other details. It shows quality and effort on your part. Probably most important---learning! You have learned new things and have grown using new information.

Love your posts and I can see why you are worth $$$$.

Quality
    Learning
    knowledge
    Application
    Giving

Are traits found in all successful people. (There are more) but kinda slow this morning---grin.

Again, thanks for sharing---good information if they want to grow into being a successful person/business.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Today I have a e500 full polish and coating for 800.00 and a gwagon merc all at Renntech. Those of you know who know Renntech its not easy to get work from there.Still wouldn't get that much even if the car was covered in paint.Congratulations to you guys and keep humping at that price market godless and all the sucesss very happy for you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Today I have a e500 full polish and coating for 800.00 and a gwagon merc all at Renntech. Those of you know who know Renntech its not easy to get work from there.Still wouldn't get that much even if the car was covered in paint.Congratulations to you guys and keep humping at that price market godless and all the sucesss very happy for you guys.
    Hummm....Getting anything from Renntech is nothing to sneeze at! And at $ 800? I think you did very well! It will always be an issue from dealers and after market companies to shell out anything.

Just my thoughts only---the $$$ is found once after a car leaves renntech or a dealership.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Took me 3 months to get in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Took me 3 months to get in there.
    Wow...awesome!

Hats off to you and to Wills...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    Oh My! This is some CRAZY stuff. More power to you if you can get customers to pay that kind of money. For me though, the word "Ethical" bobs up a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    I just noticed where you are from though in Gilbert, AZ. I thought you were just from basic midwestern town.
    Being out there is a whole different clientele. There's plenty of people that will pay that kind of money out there.
    I do think it's a bit funny whenever somebody charges more than what is viewed as appropriate things like "ethics" come up - when in fact I'm one of the most ethical detail shops that I know out here. A lot of people really don't understand the cost of running a business, having people rely on you for their paycheck, having to still turn out quality work and then at the end of the day still be able to feed yourself and make a profit. We spent 2 1/2 days on that little Corolla - laid down film on it as though it were a Ferrari, polished and coated it like we would any other 6 figure car and the owner loved the outcome. We also arranged in house payments for her (no interest or fee's) so that she could get everything done up front while the car was new rather than waiting to save up the money or have to make a financial strain of any type to be able to do it.

I know guys in basic midwest towns who also charge on par with what I do (sometimes more), but they deliver on a level that is in fact hard to find. My post wasn't to boast, anyone who's seen my posts over the years knows thats not my style. My post was to help business owners and detailers looking to start a business realize they can actually increase their price as their services and skills increase (which is why I also posted in this section of the forum).

I honestly use to think anything more than $500 for a detail was crazy even though I had others telling me our work was worth more (including the people who hired us). Eventually I started listening and then doing a little math. The math showed that even without the expense of a building like we have now, we were often times making minimum wage...or less. That was before the cost of products, taxes and travel. Thats why I made this post...so others can learn from the years of mistakes we made and hopefully shorten their learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    It's awesome that this customer wasn't horrified with your new prices but rather thought it was appropriate and still scheduled the work. It's awesome to hear stories like this.

Hope things are well with you man! Regards to Dani bro!
    Whats up Marc! Yeah she was totally in love with the car afterwards and felt so much better about knowing it wouldn't turn out the way her old Honda did. It's definitely not about the car - its about the person and how they feel about their car, but you know that!
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Demographics are everything.People here in fla would never pay that much maybe 1200.00 tops that's why I entered the aero sector.More consistent top dollar for quality work.In NYC there are many people who will pay more for quality work its all about the market and the quality clients.There are no quality clients that will pay for such amount of money here in fla.
    In all honesty I know plenty of people in Fla. that charge big $ for correction, coatings and clear bra, but they worked their way up and they deliver. I too thought people in little Gilbert,Az would never care about a paint coating or full frontal clear bra. I can happily say today that I was wrong...took me a while to learn, but I finally came around. I don't do dealership work so I can't compare to that..but the reason I don't is exactly what you stated, MOST will not pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Great video! Really enjoyed that story. Also have enjoyed your written posts here with other details. It shows quality and effort on your part. Probably most important---learning! You have learned new things and have grown using new information.

Love your posts and I can see why you are worth $$$$.

Quality
    Learning
    knowledge
    Application
    Giving

Are traits found in all successful people. (There are more) but kinda slow this morning---grin.

Again, thanks for sharing---good information if they want to grow into being a successful person/business.

Tom
    Thanks for the kind words Tom. Talking pricing is always a touchy subject and for the longest time I wouldn't discuss it too much publicly because of the concern of backlash. However, the number of guys I talk with now who are literally just scraping by trying to make a living detailing kinda touches me cause I too was in that situation. There's definitely room for different types of detailers. I do my kinda work cause it's what I enjoy but I know guys who make a very good living off of maintenance details and wash and wax clean ups. Different strokes and all but the main thing is, don't be a sinking ship and not know it...it's not a good place to be lol.

I only ever worked on one Gwagon...it was only a wash and wax...and that was enough. I dont envy you at all working on one of those lol.
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12