autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sustainable Business

How many of you guys on here have a crew working that doesn't need to be watched over at every second? If yes, how did you do it?

I just graduated college and parted ways with my business that kept me busy (~50 cars annually). I miss it dearly and I still have a lot of business that I could take if I wanted to. A lot of my former clients haven't transitioned to anyone else.

I am thinking of registering as an LLC, hiring 2 guys as contractors, training them on a weekend, and letting them work out of my driveway when I am at work. Also, strongly considering a commission for them if they bring in work.
    It's never too late to learn a little.

2. Thanks Moon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sustainable Business

What would happen if you trained them the right way and then once they get familiar with your clients and build a relationship with them since they are the actual people taking care of the vehicles and they end up branching off from you and taking those clients with them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danieledwards12 View Post
    What would happen if you trained them the right way and then once they get familiar with your clients and build a relationship with them since they are the actual people taking care of the vehicles and they end up branching off from you and taking those clients with them?

A non-compete clause would take care of that headache
    It's never too late to learn a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Great! I figured you already had that figured out, i just wanted to put my two cents worth in. I do not comment much because i am still learning everything and my input would be pointless. So when i seen this post i thought to myself, "hey i can actually have an opion on this one" hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Sustainable Business

Although I do not detail anymore I run a business as a contractor. You will never have the same quality using employees. Sorry but nobody will care as much as you do. My family has been running a business for 70 years with employees and I will say that is always a pain in the ass. Employees will botch up jobs, and ruin and waste your equipment and supplies. Although you can make money with employees it does come at a cost

I guarantee you that it will take hiring at least seven different people before you find one that is a good fit for your business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Sustainable Business

Let me give you an example of what employees do. While transitioning away from detailing I had the same thought as you. I had my friend who was out of work detail a customers car using my equipment. I figured he could earn some money and I can get a cut of the cash by hustling the job. When I got all of my stuff back I realize that my mytee hp60 extractor was rolling funny, upon inspection the solid rubber wheels were completely flat spotted, ground down flat from him leaving the foot brake on and dragging it around probably by yanking the hose on the concrete driveway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

8. Thanks patman thanked for this post
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Id say don't let the horror stories of "bad employees" scare you. I was that guy before, thought that I'd never find "good help". Thought that "If you want something done right, you do it yourself"....and then i moved into a shop.

When I moved into a shop I started realizing very quickly that it was a lot different than a mobile or work from home type of set up. Business was growing quickly and even though there were two of us, the number of responsibilities was also growing. The number of hours I was putting in and the tax I was putting on my body was also adding up - so I decided to look to hire.

The first 2-3 people we hired didn't work out and that was due more so to my poor choice than anything else (which is a responsibility I feel a lot of employers avoid taking). It was also due to the fact that TEACHING someone is a totally different skill set than DOING it yourself. However, just like with detailing, I learned. I learned how to look for the right people, to not judge people by age and experience (actually young, unexperienced guys have been my go to with great luck so far) and I learned how to take a step back, allow them to learn but also constructively criticize when needed. I do also however give praise when deserved as well.

This has put my business on a totally new course. I still take a manager's roll of doing a final inspection of vehicles before returning...and even then once and a while things get missed. Small, but still it happens. Don't let that detour you though. Fix the problem, learn from it and then improve and continue.

For ME, it has allowed me to focus on so many other things that really needed my attention (marketing, finances, expanding, adding on other services and so on). It does come with its own set of new things to have to handle, but you have to realized that and deal with it when it happens. I love my guys and I deal with them on both a level of employee/employer as well as mentor. You do need a plan though...a system in place that you can teach them....a check list for quality and of course the right guys to accomplish that for you.
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danieledwards12 View Post
    Exactly detail business is very hard to scale with trying to find employees who have a passion for the job.Very hard to sell as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone willing to take that deal will not be the kind of hardworking long term employee your looking for. Seems maybe some younger kids would be willing to work in your driveway but nobody actually looking to make a living.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    Anyone willing to take that deal will not be the kind of hardworking long term employee your looking for. Seems maybe some younger kids would be willing to work in your driveway but nobody actually looking to make a living.
    Pretty much.

And, about the no compete clause, that's a college student talking. As a small business (Well, actually micro small compared to the range of businesses classified as small), you probably couldn't afford to legally enforce it. If you could afford it, no way you could justify it economically. But assume you could and choose to whether it was financially prudent or not. What are you going to do when the other side raises the issue of your contract being void because you're running an illegal business out of your residence?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast