autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Luck with fiverr?

Hello there is a site some of you are probably familiar with called fiverr where for pretty cheap you can have a host of things done for you. One of them is SEO work and backlinks, local SEO, etc. I am a rookie when it comes to SEO and reading all the countless SEO information online has overwhelmed me. Has anyone used these services in the past? What results did you get? Experiences? I know nothing about local SEO and backlinks but if someone wants to build me some and I pay for it that sounds great...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luck with fiverr?

Don't waste your time with that stuff.

The back links they provide are not high quality as you think. They don't look natural.

In my experience not worth it.

As a matter of fact, I went into the provided list of back links and deleted a majority of them because it came across extremely spammy.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used fiver for logo design. I was looking for a simple logo found someone portfolio I liked paid top dollar for unlimited revisions. The person who said they where English speaking couldn't speak any. Worst experience ever ended up making my own logo and it looked better. And was free!

Sent from my XT1585 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Luck with fiverr?

Ok, I need to get this off my chest because it bugs the hell out of me.

I follow quite a few detailing forums and Facebook groups where Fiverr comes up every once in a while and logos come up more often in daily conversation. I don't detail full time, in fact, my weekdays are filled to the brim as a Creative Director for a marketing & communications agency. By trade, I'm a graphic designer, and have been for almost 25 years. As someone who is deeply ingrained in the creative industry, I have a somewhat more expert viewpoint on services like Fiverr for logo design and other magic bullet marketing "offerings."

I watch conversations about detailing rates here and elsewhere closely, as I am in the early stages of my side business. I see people looking for help with pricing for their services.

"What should I charge?"
    "Am I charging enough?"
    "How much do you guys get for..."

And on, and on and on. Inevitably, the experienced detailers among us will chime in and offer rate advice, and it's inevitably followed with something like, "you have to charge more because it hurts us all when you undercut our prices like that. Get your true value because they are hiring a pro—you should be paid like a pro."

And there's the rub.

A professional designer or marketing agency costs more than $5 to perform and give you all of their experience to help their customers. What does a real logo design cost at my agency? Start at $1000 and go up from there. Do you want to know what my hourly rate is? It's not $5, I can tell you that. We just finished up an $18,000 branding project that took 6 months to complete.

No, you don't need an $18k brand, but you don't need a $5 one, either.

When you court services that offer $5 logos for your business, you're doing the very same thing that you would scream about if another detailer gave their work away for next to nothing. It's insulting to my profession that these sites and services even exist. I'm sure you feel the same way about the $20 "full details" too.

Look, you need to to what's best for your business, whatever that is. But there are freelance designers out there working for $20-30 an hour that will work with you to develop a brand that not only suits you and your business, but will be a direct reflection of who you what to show to your customers, instead of a clip art magic trick that took 5 minutes to puke out by someone in India who couldn't care less what your business does.

Pay a professional for professional work, and you will get professional results. Why should it be different for a professional designer than it would be for a professional detailer?

doug
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTowel View Post
    Ok, I need to get this off my chest because it bugs the hell out of me.

I follow quite a few detailing forums and Facebook groups where Fiverr comes up every once in a while and logos come up more often in daily conversation. I don't detail full time, in fact, my weekdays are filled to the brim as a Creative Director for a marketing & communications agency. By trade, I'm a graphic designer, and have been for almost 25 years. As someone who is deeply ingrained in the creative industry, I have a somewhat more expert viewpoint on services like Fiverr for logo design and other magic bullet marketing "offerings."

I watch conversations about detailing rates here and elsewhere closely, as I am in the early stages of my side business. I see people looking for help with pricing for their services.

"What should I charge?"
    "Am I charging enough?"
    "How much do you guys get for..."

And on, and on and on. Inevitably, the experienced detailers among us will chime in and offer rate advice, and it's inevitably followed with something like, "you have to charge more because it hurts us all when you undercut our prices like that. Get your true value because they are hiring a pro—you should be paid like a pro."

And there's the rub.

A professional designer or marketing agency costs more than $5 to perform and give you all of their experience to help their customers. What does a real logo design cost at my agency? Start at $1000 and go up from there. Do you want to know what my hourly rate is? It's not $5, I can tell you that. We just finished up an $18,000 branding project that took 6 months to complete.

No, you don't need an $18k brand, but you don't need a $5 one, either.

When you court services that offer $5 logos for your business, you're doing the very same thing that you would scream about if another detailer gave their work away for next to nothing. It's insulting to my profession that these sites and services even exist. I'm sure you feel the same way about the $20 "full details" too.

Look, you need to to what's best for your business, whatever that is. But there are freelance designers out there working for $20-30 an hour that will work with you to develop a brand that not only suits you and your business, but will be a direct reflection of who you what to show to your customers, instead of a clip art magic trick that took 5 minutes to puke out by someone in India who couldn't care less what your business does.

Pay a professional for professional work, and you will get professional results. Why should it be different for a professional designer than it would be for a professional detailer?

doug
    Great post. You put that into perspective we can all relate to.

What does the "Purple Towel" signify?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Great post. You put that into perspective we can all relate to.

What does the "Purple Towel" signify?

Thanks.

When I was looking for a different and memorable name for my brand that wasn't the cliche "buff & shine" company name, I was thinking about when I first started to get really serious about the detailing items I was buying for my cars. There were a few game-changers for me back in the 90s—Clay Magic, paint cleaners and Zymol Carbon, among others. One of those others was the first microfiber towel I ever bought—a cheap purple towel. I still have it 20 years later, even though it's got grease stains, paint and who knows what else embedded in it. Purple has been my favorite color since I was a kid, and the only reason I ever picked up that silly microfiber towel in the first place. Seemed like a perfect name for a brand that represents who I am.

doug
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing