autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Encounter with a dealer

Saw a guy with a mice Corvette at the gas station so I handed him my card and said "if you need someone to polish that pretty car, I'm your man."

He said "I'm a dealer. What do you charge?"

Me: " For a car like that? $250."

Him: (scoffs) "Andy up there does it for $85."

Me: "Hes not doing the quality of work that I am then."

Him: "Aw yeah he does!"

Me: "No, because you can't make any money at that price."

He shook his head like he agreed and that was the end of the conversation. I think I made a point he understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Encounter with a dealer

"nice" not "mice." It wasnt Walt Disney!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Typical. Smh and good riddance.

My roommate and best friend just got a new company truck. It was his boss's last year and his boss had it "detailed" at a friends shop. Dear god, the spoofy shine was so think on the gauge cluster I couldn't read the gauges, and whatever they wiped the leather off with is not meant for leather. Spoofy shine, EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Swirls, EVERYWHERE!!!! I told him to tell his boss to tell his friend that he sucks and should stop detailing. I doubt the message will get to him though haha.

I have a mechanics t-shirt that reads "Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good"

Stands true with detailing also, and at $250, that's a completely fair price.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Detailers have a serious image problem. A friend of mine asked me about "perfecting the paint" on his new black Audi S4 which already has multiple bird crap etchings on the roof and hood. He stopped me mid-sentence to say, "wow, I thought it was maybe a few hundred bucks at the very most. Forget it."

This guy makes big money in software and has no problem dropping $70k on a disposable Audi, but was borderline offended that anyone would charge more than a few hundred dollars for paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    I have a mechanics t-shirt that reads "Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good"

Stands true with detailing also, and at $250, that's a completely fair price.
    As a mechanic, we have a saying at the shop (between ourselves, not to the customers!): Just because you can work on your car, doesn't mean you should work on your car.

And it's so true with "detailers" as well...

Post Thanks / Like

Joe Fernandez said it the best when he talked about his business, and going after the affluent. You need not just a rich person but a car guy/gal, someone who cares about the appearance of their car and then you have to find the percentage of them that don't care what it costs for it to look the best, or are willing to pay your rate. It's a small market inside a small market. The other thing to remember a lot of these guys who buy that nice car, they know nothing about the car aside from the fact that it's an Audi, or a Corvette, etc. It's just an appearance thing. Dealers are a whole other group of people, and probably my personal bias but if someone is a car dealer, their sole purpose in life is to screw other people out of their money. In fact the car sales system encourages it.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I think as soon as he said:

"I'm a dealer. What do you charge?"
    I would have told him I'm a boutique detailer and would be out of your price-point. Nice car! (and drive away).
    Which is exactly what I said when I brought my garage-queen Mustang in for service at my local ford dealership.

Now.... having said that, the guy up the street charging $85.00 per unit doesn't mean he does a bad job. Is he doing full paint correction to get 90% of swirls and scratches out? No! He's getting the car ready to be presentable to 99.7% of the car buying public. (we geeks make up the .3%). The dealer is all about profit, which means not spending money, and they are also about volume and consistency. It is quite possible that Andy up the street has picked this dealer up as a commercial account. And because they bring him so much volume he can heavily discount the price and augment his regular business with the general public.

My buddy's shop does funeral cars, livery service company cars, dealerships... but they're at a discount. Why? Because they basically will use him exclusively all the time.
    Regular public (non-wholesale) pricing starts at $250 to the sky's the limit. If you were a full-timer, it wouldn't be a bad gig, because I can guarantee that not every piece of business that walks through the door is looking for a four-figure detail job.

Good that you were proactive at pursuing business, but as soon as he said "dealer" gears have to shift. It's just how it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Detailers have a serious image problem. A friend of mine asked me about "perfecting the paint" on his new black Audi S4 which already has multiple bird crap etchings on the roof and hood. He stopped me mid-sentence to say, "wow, I thought it was maybe a few hundred bucks at the very most. Forget it."

This guy makes big money in software and has no problem dropping $70k on a disposable Audi, but was borderline offended that anyone would charge more than a few hundred dollars for paint correction.
    I had a leading sales rep in our organization who had an Audi A6. The side got scuffed (kids playing in the driveway) and it was a mess. I told him I could take care of it, and quoted him a price. He said "I'm not looking to spend a car-payment, I just want it clean and shiny!!!" I said "good luck".

This is where you have to have a "buddy". The guy who will do work at discount pricing and seems to be ok with it. Whip your "buddies" card out and say, this guy can do what you want. But as Mike Phillips once told me, YOU don't want to ever be the buddy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Saw a guy with a mice Corvette at the gas station so I handed him my card and said "if you need someone to polish that pretty car, I'm your man."

He said "I'm a dealer. What do you charge?"

Me: " For a car like that? $250."

Him: (scoffs) "Andy up there does it for $85."

Me: "Hes not doing the quality of work that I am then."

Him: "Aw yeah he does!"

Me: "No, because you can't make any money at that price."

He shook his head like he agreed and that was the end of the conversation. I think I made a point he understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Not really you kinda just changed the subject. Quality of work and money that can be made are 2 different things. You don't know the guys situation maybe he;s doing volume or he has super low overhead. Maybe he's wealthy and does it for fun. Either way you don't know if the guys doing a bad job you're just assuming

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Not really you kinda just changed the subject. Quality of work and money that can be made are 2 different things. You don't know the guys situation maybe he;s doing volume or he has super low overhead. Maybe he's wealthy and does it for fun. Either way you don't know if the guys doing a bad job you're just assuming
    I personally never met a "wealthy" person who was interested in detailing a car for $85.00. But I've met plenty with exspensive cars that were swirled out messes
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast