autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Not getting customers

alright, so I started a detailing company and LLC. Got a website .. advertising on google and facebook. I am getting hits on the website and calls and facebook messages... but so far I have only got ONE person and that was because I went pretty far down on price, like 100 for a detail on the interior which included a spilled dried shake all over the console and between the seats. I feel like that car should have been about 150 to 200 .. and it did take me about 4.5 hours to do start to finish.

People talking to me are saying sounds good .. I'll get back with you in a week. Or I have to talk to the wife but it sounds good ...One said ok and never showed up the next day. I try to give the details on what I'll do and that I am through etc.

I am not sure what to do at this point. I am really trying to get this going. I am not the most expensive guy but not the cheapest either. I am not sure how much lower on the price I am willing to go to get people ... also I hear that's not something you should really do anyhow.

How to do people get going in this? I know a more expensive detailer or close to my price is booked for two weeks. Another I saw on facebook today when people were asking to get a car detailed one said he was booked for a month out. His prices are lower than mine of course ...

but I am just trying to see how others have started this and any suggestions to get this going.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not getting customers

Go mobile if you can it will put you on the fast track of getting customers.Your price seems fair .The other guy prices are lower that's probably why they flock to him.Going mobile is my only suggested idea people love it.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to find out what customers expectations are from the other place go over there to the competition and look at some cars finished and in process. Maybe they got 4 $10 an hour guys just hacking away at once on an assembly line. And the clientele in your area is ok with it

You gotta decide then do you just want to do quick high profit AIO jobs to compete or do you want to sit and wait for what you want. Offering mobile is a good idea to get going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

OP I don't really have any first hand advice as I do this on the side, but don't give up. Try the mobile thing as others suggest and keep at the social media.

Hopefully 1 or 2 customers can turn into 10 and 20 by word of mouth. Also have you tried attending any car clubs? Or even like a cars and coffee thing in the area? Most car guys who LOVE their car cannot wash it right to save their lives.

I would start thinking outside the box, at least just for a kickstart.

Post Thanks / Like

In 5 months of mobile you will be fine.400.00 for a van can't beat 1000.00 plus brick and motor.The van enables you travel anywhere with lots of exposure.Work by yourself and reap the profits.

Post Thanks / Like

Give gained quite a few customers from brick and morta. people are on a time crunch what's better than getting your car done while you work.Take it to carshows or work in the middle of nowhere.Mobile is the way to go less overhead.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of variables, too many to discuss them all. Try to look at your business from a customers perspective, or ask a person from outside detailing to look at your business. Is the facility neat and professional. Do you have professional signage yet? Would a classy middle-aged lady be able to easily find you, and feel comfortable coming to you and your facility by herself? If you want to post or send your web and facebook info, we could give our 2 cents. Also you have to learn to close the deal on the phone. Much sales training info is available for free nowadays if you look for it. Nathan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm mobile but not full time. My neighborhood has a website for us (and neighboring subdivisions, etc). Periodically I would post a special or even a free detail (simple but thorough) to the first responder (lesson learned, first person that responded to my free detail had a Jeep Commander 3 row vehicle....I then specified car only). That spread my name and reputation inside and beyond my subdivision. I'd also talk about my detailing passion with folks I met at my other part time job and have gotten clients. Key is the level of work as good work will spread your name. I'd also target Mothers Day, Father's Day etc in my messaging. Lastly, my suburb has a Facebook page which allows local businesses to post on Tuesdays. I use that opportunity to educate customers via words and pictures to help them learn the differences between car washers and true detailers, reasons to choose a detailer, recent detail work, etc. I want to distinguish myself from the pack but I keep in mind the majority of folks just want a wash and wax thus the market for detailers is smaller. That's why I try to educate to increase the market share. I find most folks are amazed by the work of a passionate and skilled detailer. Keep at it and good luck.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the best advice I got was from Zach McGovern on this forum (great guy)

He advised me to start taking deposits when people came in for a consultation. When people are ready to spend money they are just that ready to spend money, 1 hour from then or a few days it is very easy to change your mind as life happens, Their spouse will think its stupid to pay someone 500+ to polish their car and talk them out of it.

Getting a deposit will ensure them coming back on the date you schedule them on.

I had 1 customer re-schedule with me for 3 months on a black S550 multi-step correction with a coating. If I never got a deposit I would of never seen/heard from him again.

Explain to them that the time and date they schedule for you are going to be keeping that day open specifically for them. And if another potential customer calls for that time and date you will say you are not available then. The customer will understand and if serious will gladly leave a deposit.

I hope this helps you. Dont let this discourage you. If you have passion and drive success is naturally going to follow. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't close the deal over the phone and that's one thing you do not want to do.Go mobile in Missouri I doubt that there are not many mobile guys around.Winter can be tough but doable.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast