autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Insurance

How about accidents that happen during the detail not related to polishing mishaps? Say you were leaning over a large hood and you lost your balance and fell onto the hood and put a dent in it. Are those type of accidents covered?

Post Thanks / Like

Or how about a real mishap that happened to me about 8-9 years ago. Worked on a Honda S2000 and put the top down after the it had been cleaned, dried and 303 Fabric Prot on. It remained down during the rest of the detail. When I raised the top again I realized that the plastic rear window did not fold onto itself properly. It creased and cracked the plastic window. I ended up not charging for the detail. Later found out that the owner had not put the top down in over 2 years and the plastic window was brittle. He did get the back section of the convertible top replaced.

Would that type of thing be covered?

Post Thanks / Like

I would consult with your agent or a qualified expert and go over specific scenarios like these to understand coverage... that is what I did with my agent. Gave him several "what if" scenarios.

As it was explained to me, you are responsible for your work and are supposed to be an expert at what you do and therefore accidents as a result of your work (ie burning through paint, dropping a tool on a car on accident, etc.) are not covered with general liability (or were not covered on my policy anyway... no idea if policies can be written in such a way that these things are covered, I am NO expert in this subject matter to say the least).

Retired Professional Detailer

4. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Or how about a real mishap that happened to me about 8-9 years ago. Worked on a Honda S2000 and put the top down after the it had been cleaned, dried and 303 Fabric Prot on. It remained down during the rest of the detail. When I raised the top again I realized that the plastic rear window did not fold onto itself properly. It creased and cracked the plastic window. I ended up not charging for the detail. Later found out that the owner had not put the top down in over 2 years and the plastic window was brittle. He did get the back section of the convertible top replaced.

Would that type of thing be covered?
    That stinks.

The other scenario is that every time you put a claim in on any type of insurance policy you risk either being dropped or having your premiums raised. So the last thing you really want to do is put a claim in anyway. If I had insurance, which I don't, it would have to be something catastrophic and big $$$$ for me to put a claim in. Otherwise I'd just pay for it out of pocket.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

6. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Likes Calendyr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, a policy will EXCLUDE workmanship. You burn through paint, it's excluded.

Some kid is running by, trips on a cord you left curled up on the floor, he breaks a leg...yeah, that *may* be covered.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good information here going to shop around for insurance next week

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarybou View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm having trouble finding a company to give me liability insurance. Wondering if anyone has had the same issue? Or if you do have insurance, you can help me out with the name? Etc? I really want to get covered asap. Thanks in advance!
    There are many companies which can provide liability insurance to you, its all depend on where you live and your past history but most of the time it's easy to get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12