autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customers perceptions about Detailers?

When I first moved down here to Florida the people here think a 40.00 carwash is a detail.Till this day they still do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mylkman View Post
    Haha. I DO HOPE THIS ISNT A SERIOUS DETAILING VIDEO
    It was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    It was.
    ...and STILL in business.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bill110 View Post
    I want that pick up

Post Thanks / Like

I tell people that there is a scale for car care. |------|---------------------|------| That first section is for car washers. They just knock the dirt off and dress the tires. The second section is for detailers. That is where we bust out the clay and compounds and really get the car looking good. The last section is for autobody work. Paint touch up and PDR type stuff. As soon as I see I'm going to need to break out sandpaper or paint brushes I am moving into that section. So the real problem is that customers think getting a full detail covers all of that. Nope. You can get to the far right side of the middle section with pinstripe removal and brightworks and show car prep, but most of us probably hover right of the middle I'd wager. We'll polish out everything that can be polished out and make the engine gleam like new, but cross into that third section and new pricing is going to be in play. I'm not wetsanding a car and calling it a 'full detail'. I don't want that to be the expectation of the next client. Sort of like how a Veyron can't really be classified as a Sports Car the same way a Camaro SS would be called that.

I only have one level of detailing these days. I tell them it will be clayed and polished and sealed. The engine will be cleaned and the interior will be cleaned. It will be returned to them looking as good as they would expect it to look if they just bought it at a used car dealership (because after all, it is still used). The only difference is that it wasn't detailed by a used car dealership lot boy. But that's it. One level. No basic or premium or anything like that. Maybe if I was hungry for business then I would break it down, but this is my free time they are taking and if they want me to do the job then they are getting my best work whether they want it or not. I've never had complaints with that. Some people just want a $40 detail and I tell them to go to the car wash down the street for that. I'm not a car washer. Even if a $40 car was is pushing the line on that part of the scale, it still isn't what I do.
    .....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the general public I have talked to seem to think a "detail" is wash and wax and a thorough interior cleaning(vacuum, wipe all surfaces, clean windows) and needs to be done once a year or thereabouts, in between regular washes.
    General public to me are the daily drivers, moms, businessmen and people who view cars as transportation. It's a depreciating asset and needs to be maintained for longevity and comfort. That's all.

"Car People" are more in tune with paint corrections and coatings and engine details and such. And typically require what most of us refer to as a detail. Wash/paint decon/coatings/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

not trying to break forum rules google Do you need full paint correction or just a detailing/ ask a pro detailer, this is the best reply imo, make copies and give to inquiring customers

Post Thanks / Like

No two are the same, the issue is getting exact information on what they want done...
    In some cases many haven't considered some aspects or appreciate what can be achieved, so confirming with them infront of the vehicel as a walk around if ideal.. (sometimes not possible..)...
    This always provides the least oppurtunity for disappointment.. / issues to arrise...

Post Thanks / Like

I die a little inside every time I see that video.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
    SERIOUSLY? I might as well dump a bucket of hot water on my seats and just call it a day.

Please tell me this is a joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast