autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone using Dr. Colorchip commercial system?

I'm pretty set on getting one of the commercial kits from Dr. Colorchip, but realized I should see if anyone else has one and what they think of it. I've seen all the reviews on the products themselves, and not worried about the application. I'm more interested in finding out how easy it is to color match. The individual kits are matched to paint codes, but the commercial kit is just a wide array of colors that you try to find the closest match to. They come in 80 and 160 color kits, and if I remember correctly, the salesman recommended just getting the 80 color kit. If anyone has any feedback I'd really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone using Dr. Colorchip commercial system?

I was interested 3 months ago.I asked Mike p what he thinks,he gave me the thumbs up.I want to see it at detail fest this year.mike demonstrated on a Jeep Liberty.I saw the truck a few months back and you cannot tell.Im looking for simplicity on the color matching and want to see if there is a lot of waste involved.could be a nice little stream of income for used car inventory.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm sold on ease of use and results of the product. But I have the inventory list and noticed there is some mixing or layering required for certain colors that have pearl or metallic, and was wondering if you can actually mix colors too. With such a short cure time, I don't know if that would even be possible to get enough mixed to get multiple spots on the same car. From what I was being told, the way to do it is just find the closest color, which would be fine for black or white cars, but getting into the different hues, I'm wondering how off it would look. He said the kit could match about 90% of the cars out, and specific color codes could be ordered, but that's not too profitable to order individual paints that might not get much use. I plan on keeping my prices slightly cheaper than what it would cost for them to order their own kit. I wouldn't feel right charging someone $50 to get "close" to the right color when they can spend $60 and get code matched paint, do it themselves, and have left over for later.

Post Thanks / Like

I was interested in their commercial kit a year ago, but another detailer in my area had already purchased the area. I bought a competing system and love it. Not knocking DrC, I bought a dozen different colors before the pro kit purchase. As far as mixing goes, the process is very straightforward. Each color code has a formula broken down by the amount of paint you need. 10gm of base, 0.2gm of #101, 12gm of clear, etc. you can even purchase a chip book for matching custom colors or vehicles without a color code. I've bottled leftover paint and used it days later, just might need a little reducing agent to freshen up. If you find yourself routinely ordering individual kits, the pro kit is the way to go. So far, every batch I've made has been a perfect match. Metallics are a little more finicky with my system, seems the 'metallic' wants to rise to the top, so cleaning up edges requires more diligence. Go for it!

rt

Post Thanks / Like

So your saying you are buying territory protection.If I buy in my home town,nobody else can have that same dr color chip 4 towns around me.Is it like a certified coating installer.my friend can get cquartz finest but I can't because I'm close to is territory.Is that what you are implying.How deos it match up silver metalic.Is there a training class included with the purchase or is it buy at your own risk.since you have the kit what is a retail price for 5 small chips that a customer is willing to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    Yeah I'm sold on ease of use and results of the product. But I have the inventory list and noticed there is some mixing or layering required for certain colors that have pearl or metallic, and was wondering if you can actually mix colors too. With such a short cure time, I don't know if that would even be possible to get enough mixed to get multiple spots on the same car. From what I was being told, the way to do it is just find the closest color, which would be fine for black or white cars, but getting into the different hues, I'm wondering how off it would look. He said the kit could match about 90% of the cars out, and specific color codes could be ordered, but that's not too profitable to order individual paints that might not get much use. I plan on keeping my prices slightly cheaper than what it would cost for them to order their own kit. I wouldn't feel right charging someone $50 to get "close" to the right color when they can spend $60 and get code matched paint, do it themselves, and have left over for later.
    valid point.Altough I can see this system being used at car dealerships.90 percent will be good for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    So your saying you are buying territory protection.If I buy in my home town,nobody else can have that same dr color chip 4 towns around me.Is it like a certified coating installer.my friend can get cquartz finest but I can't because I'm close to is territory.Is that what you are implying.How deos it match up silver metalic.Is there a training class included with the purchase or is it buy at your own risk.since you have the kit what is a retail price for 5 small chips that a customer is willing to pay.
    I suppose it's like any other franchise. For example, here in the Northeast you can't have a Dunkin Donuts within 15 feet of another DD :-)

I cannot speak on this topic as I do use Dr. Colorchip and pre-order the colors required for the job, but I do not have the commercial kit.

Post Thanks / Like

does it work good on road rash?

Post Thanks / Like

The salesman told me they actually only have one protected area that was purchased, I think in the Atlanta area. Their website mentions these protected areas so I was thinking I may be out of luck in the Denver area. But its actually a non-issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Anyone using Dr. Colorchip commercial system?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    I suppose it's like any other franchise. For example, here in the Northeast you can't have a Dunkin Donuts within 15 feet of another DD :-)

I cannot speak on this topic as I do use Dr. Colorchip and pre-order the colors required for the job, but I do not have the commercial kit.
    Ok now it's pulling together to justify the cost and there unique patented system.I would get this to set aside 2 days of doing dealer work.But before spending I need reassurance that this will not be a hyped up system that will not work as promised and only for it to sit in my attic.I will dig into this a little more,perhaps at detail fest this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast