autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for detailing business owners

Hey all

As most people that detail for a hobby Ive toyed with doing it as a business. If I do i would do part time and slowly build it up. I like the job im at now just fine so im not in a hurry. I would use ONR as my business model.

My question is those of yall that took your detailing to the next level and made it a career do yall regret it? How many hours do you all typically work? Any tips for getting started?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for detailing business owners

He is my personal take on this.Do and follow what you love.Starting part time will take long but I understand that you have a job to balance out thing.Personally I wouldn't do onr.on the hours part it depends on your prices.This week I corrected a Nissan GT-R started mon finished tues for 900.00 took the week off.To make a decent living 50 to 60 hrs a week.I don't regret it,but there's a cap on revenue and as you get older it's harder.The only way to accelerate your detailing business is to grind like any other business and hustle with realistic prices and do a good job.word travels fast and Facebook may help.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my opinion on the best way to start a detailing business. Purchase some ONR, 50 microfiber towels, and a garden pump sprayer. Fill the sprayer with ONR solution at 256:1 and spray a panel and start wiping and drying each panel till the car is done.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not completely obsessed with it, don't start. Be obsessed, or be average. #GrantCardone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    If you're not completely obsessed with it, don't start. Be obsessed, or be average. #GrantCardone.
    True! I'm obsessed and determined, while still feeling the affects of the grind at times. I recommend like many others reading Remy Doyle's book. It is very informative for aspiring detailers and will guide you in the soul searching category as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed nice word soul searching.You really have to love it,it's hard labor everyday and be prepared for the ups and downs.You may make money one week and make very little the next.My take on onr is fine on a pretty clean car.Traditinal washing may be the way to go less work.fleet accts are steady know matter what you will get a check at the end of the month.

Post Thanks / Like

as some have said, starting off slow will take longer to get known but I understand it. word of mouth does travel fast and FB has helped me accelerate in the business. I have really good weeks/months and really bad weeks/months. this past Saturday I cleared over $800 in a day but the rest of my week is pretty slim with a few pickers here and there. I have quite a few bug jobs planned for the next 8 weeks or so but they are all spread out. now I started with a GG6 and its a great machine and has been a work horse for the past year but I finally upgraded to the boss and man it was like night and day, especially on my body. long hrs with moving a polisher around takes its toll on the body and im glad I finally got the boss because it has helped out. now I just need to find a way to strengthen my wrist because they have been getting really sore the last few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest piece of advice to any "start up" is to farm the money yourself. Don't go out and get a loan. Having the money up front for certain things like polishers, extractors, pads, tools, product, lighting, etc. would certainly be nice, HOWEVER, if you start off slow, as many do, you'll be forced to pay back that loan regardless of the income. Meaning: You net $200 the first month, and your loan payment of $15,000 is $450, that $250 is coming out of your pocket. It may take you a while longer to continue working your 9-5, but setting aside that extra $ every paycheck, and being able to go into business completely debt free is a great feeling. There's no rush in trying to get established and forcing yourself to meet a minimum quota just to cover your loan payment.

Now, if you've already established yourself as a very solid "weekend warrior" and you have the equipment, you have the product, you just need a boost for say legal fees and other business start up costs, you could always take a small loan for that. However, I am personally, very strictly against taking a loan out to start any sort of business. Reason was stated previously. I'm sure others will chime in and provide their opinions, and take each one with a grain of salt, but ultimately you need to do what works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    My biggest piece of advice to any "start up" is to farm the money yourself. Don't go out and get a loan. Having the money up front for certain things like polishers, extractors, pads, tools, product, lighting, etc. would certainly be nice, HOWEVER, if you start off slow, as many do, you'll be forced to pay back that loan regardless of the income. Meaning: You net $200 the first month, and your loan payment of $15,000 is $450, that $250 is coming out of your pocket. It may take you a while longer to continue working your 9-5, but setting aside that extra $ every paycheck, and being able to go into business completely debt free is a great feeling. There's no rush in trying to get established and forcing yourself to meet a minimum quota just to cover your loan payment.

Now, if you've already established yourself as a very solid "weekend warrior" and you have the equipment, you have the product, you just need a boost for say legal fees and other business start up costs, you could always take a small loan for that. However, I am personally, very strictly against taking a loan out to start any sort of business. Reason was stated previously. I'm sure others will chime in and provide their opinions, and take each one with a grain of salt, but ultimately you need to do what works best for you.
    I have a different view on this.If you have a loan payment it will give you the paranoid feeling of being humble all the time.with no finance commitments puts you in a comfort zone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I have a different view on this.If you have a loan payment it will give you the paranoid feeling of being humble all the time.with no finance commitments puts you in a comfort zone.
    What happens when you can't get the business, you become terminally ill, house burns down, garage catches on fire, or just can't pay that payment? Now you're screwed. I understand where you're coming from, and respect everyone's opinions 100% here, just putting my .02 in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast