autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Make Money on SUV's

I recently did my first two SUV's. Two Porsche Cayenne's. Ouch. It took me a long time to detail those vehicles and compared to the time I take and what I charge, SUV's look unattractive cars right now. Here's the data.

I'm currently charging the following for a basic (single step) exterior detail:

2 or 4 door car $300 ~3 hours
    Midsize SUV or Minivan $400 ~7 hour
    Full size (Suburban or similar) $500 ?

Yeah, I know my rates are higher than most of yours. Don't worry about that part. My customers are fine with it and I'm not the most expensive in my area.

Here's my problem. An extra hundred buck buys me an extra 1 - 2 hours to do an SUV over a car. That means I should be doing the SUV's in 5 hours not 7. Raising my prices will put we out of line with my competition. I know I need a Werner platform to work on the top of the SUV's instead of the small step ladder I currently use. But that's not going to trim an hour or more off my time.

What's your take? Are bigger vehicles just lower margin items?

Thanks,

Bill

Oh yeah, you guys seem to like to see pictures so here you go.
    How to Make Money on SUV's-img_7819_smaller-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Make Money on SUV's

I usually steer clear of trucks.pickups I will do if there not trashed.Dont worry about time just make it right.speed will come in time and you will find little shortcuts that will knock off 30 minutes to a hr.

Post Thanks / Like

GSKR - your private inbox is full... send me a message, I'd like to chat with you offline. Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Elaborate on what's included in your detail please.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

SUV is bigger, but you should not spend 4 more hours on it (compare to 3 hours that you mentioned)
    I usually charge maybe $50 more on it (not paint correction and coating)

Post Thanks / Like

Sharply Dressed - the basic exterior detail that I'm talking about in this example includes
    - Wash the car
    - Wash the wheel
    - Nanoskin decontamination
    - Wax or AIO
    - Windows, tire dressing, ...

I'm looking at my notes from this particular customer and the wheels threw me a curve ball and they took a lot longer than they should have. Still, it took me nearly 3 hours to wash the wheels, wash the vehicle, and Nanoskin it. That doesn't look out of hand. The wax application, wax removal, dressing and windows however took 4 hours. Now that I'm looking at my notes, my times for wax application/removal seem to be longer than they should be regardless of the size of the car. Hmmmmmm

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

You have very nice car)

Post Thanks / Like

My take on SUV's , minivans and tucks is that they usually heavily used and abused thus making them a less likely the best candidate for a heavy correction. Unless they are something special, etc.

Most people with them want a solid detail but corrections.....meh....not enough to justify the time expense. No hard rule mind you but I actually just prefer a good light polishing I f them with no real correction. I make money on them save time doing it and if I sell a coating they are even more profitable for me.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

You cut down on time with small things. Rinseless wash the paint with something like ONR or McKee, use Optimum CarWax or Mckees Fast Wax as clay lube. Wipe off, done. Saved yourself a lot of time in the wax removal, claying and washing period. For wheels, get a drill brush. Cuts down on a lot of time, not sure what you're using as wheel cleaner and tire cleaner, but I use the Gyeon tire cleaner. More expensive, but I find it works fast and quick. Not sure if you tire shine, but something quick and easy would do the job, don't need to go nuts with tire shine. As for rims, I don't know if you currently use iron remover but my process is usually rinse off, apply iron remover and then agitate with a brush. Then spray a mixture of APC and a strong car soap like Reset, and agitate some more, rinse off and then dry.

Basically, you save time by adding the protection in the drying stage so you don't have to go over the car again. Then you can mix in the claying stage as well. As for the roof, I wash the roof first so I don't have to deal with it after. Something the size of a RAV4, I can knock off in about 3 hours, 2 and a half if I really hustle at it. Another thing I use is also
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain the 4 hours more to just apply a wax? I can see more time if you are buffing but not 4 hours.

What products are you using. Perhaps you need a more user friendly product.
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast