autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Capitalizing on a fantastic location/my business model, potential strategies, etc

Hey everyone, I live in a pretty wealthy county, plenty of nice cars and people with money. I currently live in a golf course community which puts me within two minutes of an incredible opporotunity of getting customers. Many of the people going there drive upscale cars. Additionally, in my town and the one I go up to frequently, there exists no detailing companies, mobile or shop. Closest is about 20 minutes away, pretty good competition, pricing is fair and reasonable, good reviews. My question is, how do I tap into these figurative gold mine of potential clients? I was thinking a few different routes. One could be going up with brochures, biz cards, phone full of photos and talk one on one with anyone giving me the time of day. Another could be borrowing a friends car detailing half of the vehicle, and bringing that up and showcasing my work, putt a handful of brochure under the wipers and biz cards, maybe even hang out for a few hours, and try that. Obviously I would complete the detail before returning to my friend. Third could be getting in contact with the course and paying them a bit for some advertising, give them brochures and biz cards.

I'm fairly new to detailing, I have some experience with paint correction, still learning some, just finished a multi step restoration on my DD that came out great, not perfect, but so much better than before. Interiors are a strong point for me, cloth seats seem to be my hatred and weakness. Ive put together a good amount of supplies and would be ready to go mobile requiring the client had power and water if needed. Other than that I can do any work out of my garage.

What makes me different, honestly, I love making a car look good. Seems as though all my cars I've always kept very clean, I have an eye for dirt, and an OCD mentality of removing it all lol. I bought a new set of seats that had dog hair on the unseeable portion? Spent 2-3 Hours removing all dogs hair from every carpet fiber. In addition to this, i'm fair, hard working, and honest. My goals with this detailing operation are to approach the job personal and professional. I want to go over everything covered by the service and wanted by the client. Reputation and good standing with clients is one of my biggest priorities. To do everything in my power to ensure a client is happy and satisfied with their vehicle post detailing. I'll be very flexible with timing, location, etc. Offering a very customizeable detailing package centered around the clients needs.

I plan to do this for roughly a year before enlisting in the marines. My goal is to learn enough to start a detailing business post active duty or other business. Mostly I want to learn and take away as much as possible from this experience to help me eventually build businesses and companies. If you managed to read all of this, THANK YOU! I appreciate any advice and tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Capitalizing on a fantastic location/my business model, potential strategies, etc

First off you seem like a motivated person which will be the secret ingredient in whatever you do so your starting off great. Second thank you for pursuing the military. I'm 16 years in and am glad I did it.
    If it were me I'd work a deal with the golf course. Wash their carts or vehicles at a discount in trade for using their parking lot and the option to put a flier at the cash register where people pay for rounds of golf. Offer to detail a car while someone plays a round of golf. Nothing like a great game of golf followed up by a clean car when they are done. You will go from no clients to a commercial/retail client base. Just an idea. Lastly, social media is a great avenue for post detail marketing. Start a local business Facebook or Instagram page so customers friends can see your work. M

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Capitalizing on a fantastic location/my business model, potential strategies, etc

I was taking care of a friend of mine ctsv,he was the pro shop manager here in south fla.Other than that I got squat from it.But that doesn't mean you won't.Leave some cards or just do a quick simple clean up on the pro shop manager car in return for free word of mouth advertising.The hardest part beyond the golf course is trying to build a business in one year.Just do your best work and people will start talking.Good luck in the the marines and detailing future.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in or close to a similar demographic and I've honestly found these types of people to be the absolute cheapest when it comes to caring for their cars. They'll just buy another one if something happens to this one. I've found it all but impossible to sell upscale detailing services in terms of value over the drive through car wash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Heartsoulauto - Thanks! I'm pretty motivated. I don't want to work for anyone else, want to be self made, and want to go against the grain of societal bandwagons and beliefs as much as possible. Hopefully my life can be evidence of not needing rich parents or a college degree to becoming wildly successful. I want to gain a little more experience before hitting that golf course. But unfortunately I might not really be able to capitalize on any potential business as fall and winter approach. Next spring I'll be able to hustle the hell outta that place. I have a facebook page in the works, currently having a logo designed, then i'll have a few work shirts made with my logo on the front and general locations I serve on the back. Also making some biz cards.

Post Thanks / Like

GSKR- Thanks, I think just getting a bit of advertising there would be great. Better yet if I could detail and 50/50 a friend or family members car, and leave it up at the course parking lot, supermarket thats in my neighborhood, any sort of mobil advertising could help. I could probably get a few real estate agents as my aunt and uncle are very successful agents in my county.

Post Thanks / Like

ekennett- Ha I guess we'll see. I remember trying to shovel driveways and i'd say close to 90% wouldn't pay me for the driveway. That was with about a foot of snow on it and me asking for $20. Regardless of whether or not it works, I have a pretty large area of potential clients.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want to work for someone, skip the military. Don't put flyers under the wipers. It makes the car owners mad and whoever has to pick them off of the ground will know where you live to "return" them to you. Perfect your technique on your car and your friends and families cars, then you will be ready for customers cars. Work for someone that has experience, and learn from them. It sounds like you are very young, take your time and learn everything you can, then start a business and become a success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    If you don't want to work for someone, skip the military. Don't put flyers under the wipers. It makes the car owners mad and whoever has to pick them off of the ground will know where you live to "return" them to you. Perfect your technique on your car and your friends and families cars, then you will be ready for customers cars. Work for someone that has experience, and learn from them. It sounds like you are very young, take your time and learn everything you can, then start a business and become a success.
    I want to serve my country, I'll be damned if I watch someone I know get killed in one of these Terrorist attacks. I know what I'd be getting into, but I know if I don't serve I'll always regret it. I think it'll be one of the best decisions I can ever make for myself. The biggest me vs myself challenges. Figuring out how far I can go, and then pushing farther. I could go on all day, but I understand what i'm signing on for. In regards to possible flyers I meant leaving them on the 50/50 detailed car. Not being that guy to put them on other peoples cars lol. I've done some work on family cars in the past two years. I'll definitely start on them and get more exp before really "launching" and promoting my page. As much as I'd love to learn from someone else, i'm stubborn, and like to do things myself. With forums like this and places like youtube, you can learn anything on your own. Thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJS View Post
    I want to serve my country, I'll be damned if I watch someone I know get killed in one of these Terrorist attacks. I know what I'd be getting into, but I know if I don't serve I'll always regret it. I think it'll be one of the best decisions I can ever make for myself. The biggest me vs myself challenges. Figuring out how far I can go, and then pushing farther. I could go on all day, but I understand what i'm signing on for. In regards to possible flyers I meant leaving them on the 50/50 detailed car. Not being that guy to put them on other peoples cars lol. I've done some work on family cars in the past two years. I'll definitely start on them and get more exp before really "launching" and promoting my page. As much as I'd love to learn from someone else, i'm stubborn, and like to do things myself. With forums like this and places like youtube, you can learn anything on your own. Thanks for the advice

More chances of sliping and falling in the bath tub, but sounds like you made up your mind. Building a business is hard, but you got the motivation which is very important. Sounds like you got the right mindset to be successful at it. I just started my detailing business, but I've built businesses since I was 16 years old. (over 15 years) I can say one thing. It takes way more time and effort than most people think it does. So perpare yourself for that. Other than that advice. I think you are a bit like me. You like going in head first, and learn as you go. I'm Stubborn also, part of the fun of doing something is learning it yourself. So I completely understand that.

Best of luck to you!
    PurdyDetail.com
    Shine | Reflection | Protection
    Servicing, Montreal, and North Shore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast