autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Overworking a job

Lately my detail jobs, no paint correction, have turned into 8 plus hour deals. Yesterday I detailed a Ford Ranger for a total of 10 hours and made $175! It was a gorgeous day, so I enjoyed myself, but there is no reason that it should take me this long and only make this amount of money! Now, the upholstery had some really nasty spots that I should have charged extra for, but I didn't know that it would take so long. That only probably added and hour.

I honestly hate dealing with the money side of everything, but I know what my services are worth. Heck, I couldn't afford my services! Haha!

Anyways, how do you all go about adding charges for certain really bad areas? Does anyone here place an hour cap on their services then add a few if it goes over?
    My Mobile Detailing Business- www.PrimeAutoDetailing.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overworking a job

Do you inspect the vehicle prior to quoting a job?

If not, you need to have clearly defined services and prices... your interior detail may include steam cleaning or extracting, but you should make it very clear that stain removal will be extra and quoted upon inspection only. You may include a light polish in your exterior service, but defect removal/correction work should be quoted only after inspection. Charge for these additional tasks by how long it should take you multiplied by your hourly rate, and even give a range in your estimate so you have some leeway if needed. There are just too many unknowns when dealing with certain aspects of detailing.

If you are working with set prices, you cannot set out to make every vehicle perfect, simple as that. You will not make any money, as you demonstrated in your Ranger example. Just make sure you are open and honest about your services, and as long as your customer knows what to expect, then you will be fine. If they think they are getting a perfect inside and outside treatment for $175, you didn't do your job to educate them in the first place

To give you a comparison, on an average sized sedan, we will spend roughly 8-10 hours on the exterior for all necessary cleaning, decontamination, single step correction, and coating application and our prices start at $775 for the job. Much nicer than $175 after a hard day of work.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, now that is some money, although I have not had a polish or coating customer. And, I did inspect the vehicle, I am just new to assessing stains and issues and how long they will take. I added another $30 to a two vehicle quote after seeing the carpet on the same person's f-150.

Thank you for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Listen to Zach, his work speaks for itself and he draws the type of customers that don't flinch when he quotes, because they know why they go to him.

Read Mike Phillips post: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-business.html Specifically: match your services to your client or market

You're website looks great... but it looks like you're targeting a classic car market. Secondly you have packages that state "Coming Soon".
    Coming soon tells me you're not there yet, it says, please pass on me and go to someone who is offering it. Build your packages and offer them.

Secondly in an another thread you state:
    I always want to give more than 100% to every vehicle
    As Zach mentions above, do what your packages dictate, what your customer has agreed to pay and do it to the best of your ability. Anything beyond that is on your dime/time.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you will learn is that you have to stop doing more than what you are being paid for. I think we have all gone through this phase of trying to make everything perfect... even if the total bill is $50. In the end, you are working to make money... even if it is just a part time gig. You'll initially shrug it off because you "enjoy the work" anyway, so at least you are making some money, but you won't be able to support a business with that ideology for long.

As far as assessing and quoting work, be very honest about what you're looking at. Interior work is certainly not something I specialize in, but when I see a stain on carpets or a deeper scratch in the paint that the owner would like removed, I never promise anything. I quote the work and let them know we can improve the area, but that due to unknown variables, there is no way we can be certain of some things until we start working.

If you ever watch any of those house flipping/fixer upper shows on TV you'll see that contractors will start out with a quote of say $30,000 for a job, but by the end of it they may be at $40 or $50,000 because of the unknown issues that were uncovered along the way. Detailing work is no different... you don't exacty know what you are getting into until you start working on it (at least for more specialized services like paint correction work and stain removal).

For general cleaning that the majority of vehicle owners are interested in... wash & wax, clay bar, vacuuming, extracting, etc... you should have well defined packages and learn not to stray from your routine as that is where you lose money. These services should not have any major variables/unknowns involved so you should be able to set a price for a given size class of vehicle and stick to it without even quoting a car.

Agreed that your site looks very nice overall!

Post Thanks / Like

you absolutely need to go over the car with the customer before hand, its a must if you want to make money.

1. point out spots that you may not be able to correct (deep scratches, hard stains, smells, etc.)
    2. let the customer know what you will have to do in order to get the job done. (wet sanding, headlights, stain removal, etc.)
    3. be honest, and forward about the services you provide. be straight forward about your prices.
    4. do not undercut yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Stealth,

If you continue to over deliver, I could see this possibly hurting your business in the long run. Hear me out on this. If your customers come to expect a certain level of detail (8hrs for $175), they are going to continue expect it on the next detail as well. You will eventually be selling your services short and the customer will expect bargain prices for exceptional work.

I would have a problem not doing exactly what you are doing as well. I would have a difficult time stopping myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Stealth,

If you continue to over deliver, I could see this possibly hurting your business in the long run. Hear me out on this. If your customers come to expect a certain level of detail (8hrs for $175), they are going to continue expect it on the next detail as well. You will eventually be selling your services short and the customer will expect bargain prices for exceptional work.

I would have a problem not doing exactly what you are doing as well. I would have a difficult time stopping myself.

Exactly right... when this guy comes back again next year and you tell him it will be $500 for the same 10 hours of your time, he may not be very pleased. You've got to price your work accordingly or else you will either get stuck doing excessive work for little to no money, or having to upset and possibly lose a lot of customers when you have to drastically increase your pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the feedback on my website and all of the experienced advice! I listen to it all and take it to heart. I want to succeed and get the right customers too. I will take some time to revise my content and really get out there, not being afraid to say no.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StealthXJ View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback on my website and all of the experienced advice! I listen to it all and take it to heart. I want to succeed and get the right customers too. I will take some time to revise my content and really get out there, not being afraid to say no.
    Saying No is easy, the hardest part at first is asking for the money... I remember the first time I quoted someone over $300, I am pretty sure I was noticably sweating and looked scared/unsure of myself just telling them that is how much it would cost. It feels like a lot of money because to us this is something we enjoy doing and not something you would ever consider paying someone to do, but you simply have to charge properly or else you're only going to fail in the end.

Confidence will sell your work... confidence in your knowledge, confidence in your skill, confidence in your results, and confidence in your pricing.

It all comes with time and experience... you'll get it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.