autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint correction advertising

I am currently working on putting together all of my content and pricing for my paint correction page on my website, and I have a few questions.

First, should I charge extra for simply applying Duragloss #101 by hand, as it is a cleaner and polish? I feel like it should be an upgrade from my current cleaning detail package.

Traditionally, does a single-stage correction utilize an AIO product or simply a polish then a wax or sealant? Do you give the customer an option, or just use whichever works best? Can I advertise a general percentage of correction for a single-stage and multi-stage? If so, what do you advertise? Like I've heard many times before, I want to under promise and over deliver! Thanks guys.
    My Mobile Detailing Business- www.PrimeAutoDetailing.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint correction advertising

Any solid advice would be greatly appreciated! I need to get this content written so that I can really go advertise myself and my services.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still not totally sure myself
    Like always curious if you charge different prices or an AIO vs 1 step plus LSP
    Or is using Essance bumps up price cause of its durability

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread myself
    Btw I do t see an issue with advertising an approx correction %

Post Thanks / Like

Take it on a case by case bases.perfect example I was at a private airport on Saturday detailing a beech craft.Upon exiting the airport a gentlemen wanted a quote on a 1982 twin engine.The plane literally was as flat as sheet rock no shine.I immediately went to ask him if he had a budget in mind,he said 1000.00 I knew in my head that wasn't gonna happen.so Sunday morning I met him at the hangar and did a huge test spot.He saw the work involved so I booked that job for July 10 th for 2800.00 dollars.a majority of people don't know what a correction is or what's involved in detailing period.so I wouldn't emphasize on that demonstrations says it all.

Post Thanks / Like

=

First, should I charge extra for simply applying Duragloss #101 by hand, as it is a cleaner and polish? I feel like it should be an upgrade from my current cleaning detail package.
    Most of your customers probably just want their car clean and shiny. Once you start getting into details about how you apply something, by hand, by machine, you'll lose them. When I need my tires rotated, I don't care if the tech uses a air compressed socket wrench or he's doing it by hand. I just need my tires rotated... and for the advertised price.

Traditionally, does a single-stage correction utilize an AIO product or simply a polish then a wax or sealant? Do you give the customer an option, or just use whichever works best? Can I advertise a general percentage of correction for a single-stage and multi-stage? If so, what do you advertise? Like I've heard many times before, I want to under promise and over deliver! Thanks guys.
    Keep your packages simple:
    Good - A good AIO w/ Full interior
    Better - Compound / Polish (polish could include the AIO) w/ Full Interior
    Best - Compound / Polish / Surface Prep / Ceramic Coating w/ Full Interior

As GSKR states, each situation will present itself. You have to size up the customer and the car. If it has 130K miles and has never been detailed in 9 years, odds are they're not looking for the Better or Best packages.

Percentages are tough... I use terms like mild to moderate / moderate / moderate to sever correction. Last thing you want to do is burn someones clear-coat because you promised a percentage of correction. You do the best you can... let live with the rest.

You'll figure it out... be flexible, this isn't hard and fast... and nothing is written in stone. I have some customers (an older retired couple up the street)... I take care of them... (synthetic packages for folks on a budget, that aren't advertised... LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Take it on a case by case bases.perfect example I was at a private airport on Saturday detailing a beech craft.Upon exiting the airport a gentlemen wanted a quote on a 1982 twin engine.The plane literally was as flat as sheet rock no shine.I immediately went to ask him if he had a budget in mind,he said 1000.00 I knew in my head that wasn't gonna happen.so Sunday morning I met him at the hangar and did a huge test spot.He saw the work involved so I booked that job for July 10 th for 2800.00 dollars.a majority of people don't know what a correction is or what's involved in detailing period.so I wouldn't emphasize on that demonstrations says it all.
    Wow, if only I could start making a third of that at a time! I will definitely offer demonstrations to people. To some degree the pricing is almost more for us detailers so that we can stay honest and consistent for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    =

Most of your customers probably just want their car clean and shiny. Once you start getting into details about how you apply something, by hand, by machine, you'll lose them. When I need my tires rotated, I don't care if the tech uses a air compressed socket wrench or he's doing it by hand. I just need my tires rotated... and for the advertised price.

Keep your packages simple:
    Good - A good AIO w/ Full interior
    Better - Compound / Polish (polish could include the AIO) w/ Full Interior
    Best - Compound / Polish / Surface Prep / Ceramic Coating w/ Full Interior

As GSKR states, each situation will present itself. You have to size up the customer and the car. If it has 130K miles and has never been detailed in 9 years, odds are they're not looking for the Better or Best packages.

Percentages are tough... I use terms like mild to moderate / moderate / moderate to sever correction. Last thing you want to do is burn someones clear-coat because you promised a percentage of correction. You do the best you can... let live with the rest.

You'll figure it out... be flexible, this isn't hard and fast... and nothing is written in stone. I have some customers (an older retired couple up the street)... I take care of them... (synthetic packages for folks on a budget, that aren't advertised... LOL)
    Very well said! Every client that I have had have just wanted a nice clean, shiny car. I always want to give more than 100% to every vehicle, so I am always thinking of how I can improve and such. However, the client doesn't always really know or care what products are used, nor do they understand what really goes into detailing a car, the effort and time for the smallest little things. It's quite frustrating!

The goal is to under promise and over deliver, yes, but isn't a goal to also spend as little time and effort as possible to make as much profit as possible?

I am simply trying to figure out what all I want to offer and how I will quote people. I have not taken a day to drive around places and introduce myself and leave cards yet, as I would really like to talk about all of my services and have all the info ready to go on my website. I am a bit green to this side of detailing, but I am more than ready for the challenge! I feel like I need to finish my Jeep first to have a full example of my work.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think profit right out of the gate.start focusing on getting customers,not saying work for nothing but I think your making it complicated for yourself.Get customers get your name out there do really good work take your time and show up on time if your mobile.I think we have been talking about this for a while now.If your from the north,this is the time for you to start making a dent in this business.This is relatively easy business to start forget the whole web thing for now.start soliciting your business and brand yourself by getting out there and sell good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the advice and guidance. Nothing wrong with being as prepared as possible, though. Roanoke, Va is definitely the south but I am definitely getting out there shortly. Working on a client's car starting tomorrow evening at the shop. Will finish Wednesday, then they are giving me another vehicle to detail!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not important to get your jeep done to display. I have got no business from displaying my pristine garage queen which is in show car cond.
    Focus on other peoples cars, word of mouth is more important. Besides, jeeps are meant for off roading!

Make connections in your town. BMI, Rotary events, set up your business bank accounts with a "local" (not big chain) bank. Get to know the tellers and manager.
    Offer them to do their cars (I hate discounts... but, make it an introductory offer.). In your profile pic I see you have hair, you get hair cuts right? Talk to the folks at the shop you get your hair cut at.. Give them the same introductory rates.. Let them know you're in business.

In other words, do business with those you do business with.