autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Professional Level Interior Detailing By a Non-Professional DIY guide :)

I have always been browsing around Autogeek forum but never post. Anyways, for my very 1st post, I'll contribute something to the community

First and foremost, I have been addicted to detailing more and more especially after owning two nice Lexus IS250 and IS350 and after knowing Zach (professional detailer) on ClubLexus forum . I have been researching various detailing topics, talked to various professional detailers, watch a bunch of detailing videos (both good and bad) and tested various products (some good and some bad) and techniques (some big failures and some big successes).

I finally create my own way of doing the interior. I'm not a professional detailer by any mean but with an industrial engineering background with process improvement being the focus, I like testing and come up with the best method that works for me. I don't claim this to be the best method out there but it works perfectly for me.

I use various products because I want the best of not just both world, but ALL worlds :woohoo:

Warning: This can be an overkill interior detailing but hey, I want to try to take it to the professional level and treat my car with the best I can

Products to PROTECT:
    1. Carpro Cquartz Leather & Vinyl Coating.
    Even though this is expensive, it claims to last the longest (up to 2 years) with UV protection. It prevents stain, soiling, oil, dye transfer, everything at the extreme level (IMO, the best out there). Yes, I tested it with permanent marker like they show on the Youtube video and it wipes off completely and easily with alcohol.

2. Ultima Interior Guard Plus
    It gives a very clean satin look that repels dust, oil, water. It also prevents stain, soiling, dye transfer. This one claims to last 3 months with UV protection as well. It can be used on all interior surface.

3. 303 Aerospace Protectant
    This product, IMO, offers the best UV protection (SPF 40 :thumbup. It also gives the best natural just-detailed shine look. It lasts 4-8 weeks typically.

Products to CLEAN:
    1. Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel
    This product cleans very well with the power of all purpose cleaner (APC) but It is SAFE on leather and would not dry it out like APC does.

2. Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer
    This is very mild cleaner and safest to use on sensitive surfaces such as navigation screen.

3. Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner D101 (APC)
    This one is heavy duty cleaner that can remove any stubborn stain or soiling.

Tools:
    Horse's Hair Upholstery Brush
    It is effective yet gentle enough to agitate the leather seats.

4 Microfiber Towels (1 damp to remove APC residue, another 1 to wipe it dry, another dry one for final buff, and extra one to apply 303 protectant)

1 extra whatever towel used to dry floormats. This is to save the 4 other towels from the most dirty floormats.

1 small bucket of clean water

2 bottle of sprayers (solely use for APC, one with 10:1 dilution, and one with 4:1 dilution)

1 stiff nylon brush (get it from HomeDepot)

CLEANING PROCESS:
    I broke it down into several sub-processes and do them in this order based my preference.
    Cleaning Floormats
    1. Remove all-weather rubber floormats
    2. Vacuum all the areas under the seat, the seats, and crevices of the seats.
    3. Take the floormats away from car and spray APC (4:1 dilution) liberally to the floormats.
    4. Agitate the floormats with the stiff brush
    5. Rinse them with strong stream of water
    6. Shake the floormats as pre-drying step
    7. Use the whatever towel to dry the floormat and then leave them outside for complete air dry

Cleaning Leather Seats and vinyl
    1. Spray Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel onto the leather seats
    2. Agitate with the Horse's Hair Upholstery Brush
    Note: Remember to clean the brush often in the bucket of water to keep it as clean as possible.
    3. Wipe it dry with 1 dry microfiber towel
    4. Repeat this for all leather and vinyl areas.

Cleaning the sensitive areas such as consoles, navigation, dash
    These areas should only use mild cleaner so
    1. Spray Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer onto the surface.
    2. Wipe dry with a microfiber towel.
    Do NOT agitate with any brush because that will make swirls and scratches!

Cleaning all the areas under the floor (usually these are the most dirty in the interior)
    1. Spray APC one section at a time. Depending on the conditions, for very dirty areas use the (4:1 dilution), and for other areas use (10:1 diolution). IME, 10:1 works fine on most areas except the tough stain.
    2. Agitate with the stiff brush.
    3. Use a damp microfiber to wipe it
    4. Follow up with a dry towel and apply some pressure to blot dry it.
    5. You might need to follow up with another dry towel.

PROTECTION PROCESS:
    Leather & Vinyl surfaces protection I do it based on Carpro website instruction
    1. Pour at least 10 drops or one small strip onto the suede wrapped applicator
    2. Work CQuartz Leather & Vinyl into the surface including all creases, and texture
    3. Gently wipe off any excess within 2-3 minutes
    Tips:
    When you feel the drag or resistance when you apply it, you know you need to pour some more product to the wrapped applicator.
    Flip the suede towel and change it as often as you need
    Overlap the sections a bit to ensure complete coverage
    You should NOT need to wipe or buff off immediately because the product will be soaked into the leather slowly. Only LIGHTLY and GENTLY buff off the excess if any.

Front dash and other areas that are exposed to sun the most
    Since this area is directly exposed to the sun the most, I would only use 303 protectant as it has been proven to give the best UV protection in my opinion. Also, it is very easy to detect when you need to re-apply it based on the look. If the just-detailed shine fades away, I know I should re-apply it. It lasts somewhere from 4 to 8 weeks under hot California sun.
    1. I spray 303 protectant liberally onto 1 microfiber towel
    2. Apply it to the front dash and ensure complete coverage
    3. Wipe and buff off the excess immediately

All remaining areas
    I use Ultima Interior Guard Plus. It gives better durability than 303 and better silky smooth feel. It is the simplest to apply
    1. Spray 2-4 sprays onto the foam applicator that is provided
    2. Simply wipe on and walk away as the product will do it magic.
    Do NOT wipe or buff off immediately.
    3. wait 10-15 minutes, and LIGHTLY wipe off any excess.
    In my experience, I just wipe on and let it do it magic and come back the next day to wipe off any excess. It did not streak whatsoever. Make sure you apply the product evenly on all the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional Level Interior Detailing By a Non-Professional DIY guide :)

Holy moly!! Awesome first post!! Thanks so much for this. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I have one question and one comment:

Is this the horse hair upholstery brush you're using?
    Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush

I've got to try the Megs D101. So many people rave about it. I'll give it a shot once I finish my bottle of CG Nonsense.

Thanks again for all of the info!
    - Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaveRacing View Post
    Holy moly!! Awesome first post!! Thanks so much for this. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I have one question and one comment:

Is this the horse hair upholstery brush you're using?
    Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush

I've got to try the Megs D101. So many people rave about it. I'll give it a shot once I finish my bottle of CG Nonsense.

Thanks again for all of the info!
    Yes, that is the brush I used except mine is black. It looks stiff but very gentle. To be safe on leather, I always lightly scrub the brush on my hand and palm first, if it doesn't hurt me, it wouldn't hurt the leather.

D101 is very good at cleaning the floor mats and stains. It does dry out most of the surface, may be due to its alkaline basic nature. Do NOT use it on a non-coated leather because it is too strong and will remove the color dye (I tested it). It cleans very well at (10:1 dilution) on coated leather but again it dry out too much. I tested both 10:1 and 15:1 dilution on leather and feel like it is NOT really safe (my opinion) so I will not use it on leather again regardless whether the leather is coated or not. That is why I tried Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, it works equally well on coated leather and did not dry out.
    Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Very detailed and thoughtful info. I can see you tried a lot procedures before you found what is best for you, and decided to share. Thanks! I would humbly add a plastic cleaner, or a vynil cleaner, to remove whatever they used before, so you can start clean slate. I always use Sonax Plastic Cleaner, so the plastic parts are clean of whatever it was there so I can start fresh, with 303 or something similar. I heard there is a Meg's vynil cleaner which is very good, but I never had a chance to use it.
    I'm not very fond of quik detailer for interiors, kinda oily. All the best!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice first post - thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AutoGeekOnline from Germany!

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.