autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

The EASY way to remove WATER SPOTS with Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover

I'm a car guy, plain and simple.

Those that know me well truly believe my veins aren't filled with blood, but 93 octane instead. When I see a cool car with swirl marks, water spots, or etchings caused by bird droppings, a part of me dies on the inside (I'm sure eating beef 6 meals a week doesn't help either).

A cool car to me is something that's fast, stylish, and has a soul. When I saw this Audi S5 was violently attacked by a sprinkler, I dropped what I was doing and put Optimum's newest product - MDR (for Mineral Deposit Remover) to the test.

The name of this product might cause a lot of you to scratch your heads, so for this article I'm simply going to refer to it as Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover because that's the intended application of this product. Saying it removes mineral deposits is the same as saying it removes water spots. Keep it simple Simon, errr, Dr. Ghodoussi.

Before I dive right in, what are mineral deposits and how do they create unsightly water spots?

Minerals, particularly calcium and magnesium, are what constitute “hard water.” Hard water is responsible for water spots and that green ring around your bathtub. The calcium and magnesium actually harden inside pipes (called “scale”) and on other surfaces, including your vehicle. When you park next to a sprinkler, or rinse your vehicle with hard water, you could be dousing your vehicle with hard mineral deposits. Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover removes these mineral deposits, leaving your paint clean and shiny.

There are several different types of water spots, which one is Optimum MDR designed to remove?

Water spots start out as a topical contaminant, but over time (rather quickly) they will etch the paint, requiring an abrasive polish/compound to completely remove. Water spots that are etched into the paint are classified as Type 2 or Type 3 water spots. Topical water spots are considered Type 1, and that's the kind Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover is designed to remove. If you want a more in-depth look at the various types of water spots, Mike Phillips has a handful of articles that will satisfy your fix.

Can I just use vinegar to remove water spots?

This is a common question, and the answer is yes and no. Here's a quote from an article Mike Phillips wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    How Vinegar Works - (If and when it works)
    Common cooking vinegar or food grade vinegar is a weak form of acetic acid, which is has low pH. Mineral deposits are just that, minerals that are either dissolved in water or embodied in water and when the water evaporates it leaves the physical mineral behind on the surface.

There are different types of minerals in water but one of the most common is Calcium Hydroxide. Calcium Hydroxide has a high pH, if the mineral deposits on your car's paint are Calcium Hydroxide, then the low pH Acetic Acid in the Vinegar will act to neutralize the high pH of the Calcium Hydroxide and either dissolve the minerals or break their bond to the paint and at that point you would be able to wipe them off the surface.

If the hard water spots are some other type of mineral deposits, then there's a good chance the acetic acid in the vinegar will have no effect and in a worse case scenario cause more harm than good. This is why in the forum world you'll often read accounts from some people where they share how great vinegar worked for them in their situation but then you'll read accounts by other people where the vinegar had no effect.

The problem with using Vinegar is that the acetic acid will act to remove any wax or paint sealant previously applied to the paint, wiping a waxed finish with vinegar certainly won't add more protection and what's the opposite of adding?

The other problem with using vinegar is that in and of itself it doesn't provide any extra lubricating ability outside of being a liquid. So using it with some type of cloth, for example a microfiber towel will not be as gentle as using a product formulated by a chemist specifically to be wiped over polished finish. And if fact if there are physical minerals on the surface then wiping them off without some type of added lubricity could in fact lead to scratching of the finish.
    Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover - a product specifically designed to remove water spots

Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover is a thick, non-abrasive gel that clings to automotive surfaces and dissolves topical water spots and other water-based contaminants. Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover combines environmentally-friendly acids with chelating agents to quickly and safely remove water spots, leaving the surface smooth and clean.

Water Spots on Audi S5

Can you see the water spots?

Look closer...

As a car guy and a car wax enthusiast, this breaks my heart:

Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover to the rescue!

How to apply Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover

First, remove loose dirt and grime with a quality waterless wash. Next, apply a quarter-sized amount of Optimum MDR onto a clean microfiber cloth or foam applicator. I chose a foam applicator pad because it's less abrasive than a microfiber cloth. Remember, use the least aggressive approach first whenever you're touching your paint.

Work it in for 30-60 seconds

Optimum MDR is a thick gel that spreads very thin and goes very far. I was shocked at how far the quarter-sized drop of product spread.

After working the product in for 60 seconds, I attempted to buff it off with a clean, dry microfiber towel and found that this mostly caused it to smear around. I tried spraying the panel with DP Waterless Wash as I wiped and that made it much easier. You could also probably get away with using a dampened microfiber towel.

Look ma, no more water spots!

I found Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover incredibly effective and easy to use. It removed the Type 1 water spots with ease, saving the Audi's paint from unsightly etchings and craters that would require Mike Phillips several hours to fully remove on his day off.

Does Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover take off wax?

This is going to be a commonly asked question, so I'll go ahead and answer it now. Optimum MDR certainly isn't going to make your wax protection better, so I would highly recommend following with a coat of your favorite wax or sealant to ensure the paint is protected. I chose BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Paste Wax because it really makes silver metallics POP.

Conclusion

Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover is like Advil or Tylenol. You shouldn't wait to buy it until you need it. It's something you should always have because you don't know when you will need it. Just like when you feel a headache coming on, you'll be happier than a pig in...you know....when you are able to easily remove fresh water spots with Optimum MDR.

Optimum MDR Mineral Deposit Remover

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The EASY way to remove WATER SPOTS with Optimum MDR Water Spot Remover

Great review Nick, if you were using this outside, would you simply hose it off (drying carefully so as not to get....wait for it...water spots!)? Could you do the whole car before you rinsed it?

Post Thanks / Like

Such a good salesman, just revised my order to 32oz., on sale too!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Will be getting it with my next order.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic review Nick. That showed those water spots who's boss.

Post Thanks / Like

What does optimum list on the MSDS, as the active ingredients? Just wondering what they have chosen to use and how it compares to other such products.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    What does optimum list on the MSDS, as the active ingredients? Just wondering what they have chosen to use and how it compares to other such products.

From the Optimum forum site....

Phosphoric Acid 75% 7664-38-2 10.00 - 20.00
    Sodium Chloride 7647-14-5 1.00 - 5.00
    Ethoxylated Amine 61791-26-2 1.00 - 5.00
    Amine Oxide 71486-82-3 1.00 - 5.00

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Nick Boss, and MDR compared to the most common/used product, Spotless? I could see it is creamy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPM_BR View Post
    Dear Nick Boss, and MDR compared to the most common/used product, Spotless? I could see it is creamy.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhk531 View Post
    From the Optimum forum site....

Phosphoric Acid 75% 7664-38-2 10.00 - 20.00
    Sodium Chloride 7647-14-5 1.00 - 5.00
    Ethoxylated Amine 61791-26-2 1.00 - 5.00
    Amine Oxide 71486-82-3 1.00 - 5.00
    Thanks for that - for some reason I couldn't get it to open on the optimum forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast