autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to I polish curved panels?

Quote Originally Posted by adower View Post
    So would you recommend using something like a rupes mini/griots?
    IMO, yes.... a smaller machine will definitely help you follow the contours of the mirror housing and keep the pad flatter. This will no only aid in correction ability but will reduce the 'pressure points' where the pad is only making contact with a tiny portion of the surface you are buffing.

I have also found that in comparison to a traditional 8mm throw DA the Flex gets more heat at the working face of the pad (and thus the paint) whereas the traditional DA tends to generate more heat at the velcro backing of the pad.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by adower View Post
    Hi Mike!

I am actually using the 4" backing plate and 5" pads. If you can use this setup to polish out the back side of mirrors I am guessing my technique is flawed, which means more practice. What speed would you recommend I use on the flex?

Just goes to show sometimes my guesses are wrong....

For buffing out a small curved object like a rear view mirror housing using a 5" pad on a flex you want to try to use the middle of the pad on the surfaces of the curved object, not the outer edges or you'll feel the Flex 3401 wanting to walk around on you.

Also, hold the tool close to your body and tighten up your arm, chest, back and leg muscles. This will give you leverage over the tool.

When you hold the tool away from you with extended arms you give the tool leverage over you. This is something I show and teach in all my detailing boot camp classes along with about a zillion other tips and techniques.

I always hear and read people saying to hold the tool loosely.... (any tool) and that might work when you're machine applying a finishing wax to a horizontal panel but that's about the only time. Maybe final polishing.... but again, only on horizontal panels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just goes to show sometimes my guesses are wrong....

For buffing out a small curved object like a rear view mirror housing using a 5" pad on a flex you want to try to use the middle of the pad on the surfaces of the curved object, not the outer edges or you'll feel the Flex 3401 wanting to walk around on you.

Also, hold the tool close to your body and tighten up your arm, chest, back and leg muscles. This will give you leverage over the tool.

When you hold the tool away from you with extended arms you give the tool leverage over you. This is something I show and teach in all my detailing boot camp classes along with about a zillion other tips and techniques.

I always hear and read people saying to hold the tool loosely.... (any tool) and that might work when you're machine applying a finishing wax to a horizontal panel but that's about the only time. Maybe final polishing.... but again, only on horizontal panels.

Thank you for the in site! I am going to order a rupes mini when the black friday deal comes up here. I love the 4" backing plate w/ 5" pad combo that you have recommended in other threads!

We can keep that guess on the hush hush I dont think you've been wrong on here at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I setup. I use a drill chuck hooked up to a flexible shaft mounted in my Rotary Polisher. You can now buy 1", 2" or 3" backing plates and pads. Set the speed low (2-4). The flexible shaft gives great mobility and the small size gives good access. Caution on the speed setting-very small pads heat up very quick so go low speed at first.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12