autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wintertime Detailing Without a Garage

There's a 10 X 20 portable shade canopy on sale at HF for $119.
    Usually, 10 X 10 are about this price.
    This year will be my first year attempting to detail in the wintertime, but I do not own a garage. What do you guys do, who don't own garages, to get the job done in the cold?
    I was thinking of a portable canopy, lined with heavy-duty tarps, with a portable propane heater/kerosene heater inside.
    I don't know if this sounds feasible or dumb and ghetto. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wintertime Detailing Without a Garage

I live in Philadelphia Pa and work from home but outdoors garage too small, Last year I had kerosene heater keep in garage by pipes to keep from freezing and to warm buckets of water, this year once 35 degrees hit I'm not working unless doing rinseless and even than may turn down work, several years back was working and temps were in mid thirties but water was freezing up on paint so it had to be 32 degrees or less. had to use small steamer to thaw water to dry vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Wintertime Detailing Without a Garage

Well detailing with a canopy isn't going to work out to well as the heat is just going to escape and/or not be held in due to no insulation. What I used to do is this, get your LSP applied before it gets too cold and let it roll. Aw far as rinseless washes go, well, on those sunny 35 degree days you can get a rinseless done in the sun as the car should be warm enough, I never had a problem with this temp, well, other than the fact that it would sometime leave behind a film. Just get the water as hot as you can stand it, get out there, get the job done and dry it off quickly as you go, you'll be alright
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

In what state do you reside, expdetailing? "Cold" is very subjective.

Post Thanks / Like

I have that HF 20x10. I own it. Don't waste your money on it. Its a pain in the **s to set up and it falls apart very easily during high winds or rain storms. In my opinion I would not get it. BOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. I will try to answer each of your questions here.
    I live in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. We'll be below frezzing for a better part of the winter.
    What's wrong w/ the HF canopy? Is it just a POS? Maybe a majority are just the same way?
    I came up with this idea because I want to work for others during the winter months.
    I can remeber painting signs in my garage with my father 15 years ago in the wintertime with a kerosene heater. Looked like a jet engine with a tank below. It kept us above 55F, but as soon as you turn it off, the temp plumets quickly. I'm thinking, there's got to be a way to get this done.

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGthWiXRaZw]Mr. Heater HERO: CORDLESS!! - YouTube[/video]

I heard there was one that ran kerosene but can't seem to locate, I prefer kerosene.
    Last edited by 215Detailing; 09-21-2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: more text

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I can remeber painting signs in my garage with my father 15 years ago in the wintertime with a kerosene heater. Looked like a jet engine with a tank below. It kept us above 55F, but as soon as you turn it off, the temp plumets quickly. I'm thinking, there's got to be a way to get this done.

That's a "torpedo" heater. You're right, they DO put out a good amount of heat, BUT they can burn/melt anything too close to the "hot" end of them.

I'm sure there's a way to get done what you want, but how much money are you wiling/able to spend on such a project?

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Geneva not to far from you. You are going to need some form of structure to keep working the winter up here. A torpedo works great but as soon as turn off you will lose the direct heat and unless contained, the heat you have.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I want an improvised unit, that does not look trashy, and can be moved around. It also has to fit in a minivan that has seats that fold into the floor.
    The best my brain can come up with is a portable canopy wrapped with plastic with a kerosene heater inside. I am willing to spend $500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast