autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Pad Washer

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Pad Washer

I came across a thread recently, on another website, where a guy built his own pad washer. It was comparable in functionality to the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer. Unfortunately he did not take measurements as he went, so instructions were limited. He did however provide enough pictures that I tried to replicate his design. I'm going to post the full instructions here. The original designer said he did it for about $35. Unfortunately, my process required a bit of trial and error, so it wasn't quite so cheap. Hopefully, using these instructions you guys can build your own quickly, easily, and for far less than buying a $130 pad washer.

Here is the link to the original thread:
    My $35 Pad Washer

I'm going to do this in 2 parts:
    1. Pad Washer
    2. Optional Splash Guard Lid

2. Thanks b00gyman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Pad Washer

Part 1 - Pad Washer

Tools

The tools needed for this are pretty minimal. Basically you need:
    1. Something to cut
    2. Something to make a tiny hole in PVC
    3. Something to pound the pieces together
    4. Probably a wrench

Now obviously there are better and worse ways to do this, but here are the tools I used and recommend:
    1. Ratcheting PVC cutter from Harbor Freight
      It's only $6 and it'll give you smooth cuts without all the rough edges and flakes of PVC you would get from any kind of saw. You won't get square cuts, but we're not building the space shuttle here.
    2. Drill with 3/32" bit (could be a different size, but you want something small)
    3. Rubber Mallet
    4. An adjustable wrench... Not required, but preferred. You'll see why when we get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Parts and Prices

I went to Lowes for the parts (except the grit guard). Prices at Home Depot seemed comparable.
    Lowes had shorter (5ft) PVC pipes available, which were perfect for this project. I'm not sure if HD had the same thing.
    All the PVC was SCH40, except for one part which I will specify.
    Make sure you pay attention to the words "slip" and "threaded" or else you'll run into problems.

1. 1 x Grit Guard
      1 x $7.99 = $7.99
    2. 1 x 5 Gallon Bucket:
      The Grit Guard sits at the top, but I still recommend getting one with a bigger fit, like the one from HD. Otherwise you may have trouble getting the thing all the way to the bottom of the bucket.
      1 x $2.60 = $2.60
    3. 1 x 3/4" PVC Pipe
      1 x $1.41 = $1.41

4. 1 x 1" PVC Pipe
      1 x $2.32 = $2.32

5. 1 x 1-1/4" PVC Pipe
      1 x $3.16 = $3.16

6. 2 x 2-pack 23/32" x 3-1/2" Compression Springs
      2 x $4.48 = $8.96

7. 4 x 3/4" Male Adapter CPVC
      This is the one that is not SCH40. Look for the PVC that has a more yellowish hue.
      IMPORTANT: Make sure the adapter can fit inside of the 1-1/4" pipe. If not, you will have to find another piece or trim this one down to make it fit.
      4 x $0.38 = $1.52

8. 4 x 1" Tee (Slip)
      4 x $0.76 = $3.04

9. 4 x 3/4" Adapter (Slip X Thread)
      4 x $.046 = $1.84

10. 4 x 1" Elbow (Slip)
      4 x $0.57 = $2.28

11. 4 x 1" x 3/4" Tee (Snap X Thread)
      4 x $1.69 = $6.76

12. 4 x 1-1/4" Cap (Slip)
      4 x $0.86 = $3.44

Total = $45.32
    It's about $10 more than the original estimate, but still cheaper than buying one. Plus, I didn't look around for prices. Maybe you can get some of the stuff cheaper at Home Depot.

5. Thanks habs33 thanked for this post
    Likes habs33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Prep - Cutting the PVC to size

1. 4x
      6-1/4" of the 1" pipe

2. 4x
      For each of the Snap X Thread Tees, cut off the snap section from the perpendicular threaded section to one end.
      Leave the other side intact.
      Do not use the Slip Tees for this.
      Before (left), After (right):

3. 2x
      2-1/2" of the 3/4" pipe

4. 8x
      1-3/4" of the 1" pipe
      Technically this should be 2", but it can be a PITA trying to slip it all the way into the other pieces.

5. 4x
      4" of the 1-1/4" pipe
      I couldn't get the caps off for the picture.
      Sorry for how that looks...

6. 4x
      Make a tiny hole in the very top of the cap.
      This is where the drill and the 3/32" bit come in.

After you have cut everything, be sure to clean up any rough edges and flakes of PVC. You probably don't want that getting into your pads.

7. Thanks habs33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assembly

You'll notice all of the pieces in this section are wet. This is due to the fact I just cleaned them all, but I was too lazy to dry.

1. Build a Base

1. Use one of the 1-1/4" x 1" pieces to connect a Tee to an Elbow

2. The Tee should be at a 90 degree angle to the elbow when laying flat.
      3. Repeat this, alternating between Tee and Elbow, until you have a square shape.

2. Horizontal Braces & Vertical... Things
      1. For this part you are going to need the four 3/4" Adapters (Slip X Thread) and the Tees (Snap X Thread).
        You'll notice I have 2 different kinds of adapters. They are the exact same thing, except one is from Home Depot because I had trouble counting to four at Lowes.

2. Now to get it to look like the picture above, take one of the adapters, and screw it into one of the snap Tees.
        The easiest way to do this is to snap the tee onto your left over piece of pipe to give you more torque.
      3. Screw all 4 adapters into the snap tees, as far as you can.
      4. Next, snap the tees onto the 6-1/2" x 1" pieces of pipe.

5. Now connect two of the adapters by attaching them to the 2-1/2" x 3/4" piece of pipe.
      6. Take this piece and insert it into the slip Tees on the base.
        When you do this, make sure the part of the snap tee that you cut off is pointed up.
        If for some reason you cannot get the adapters screwed in far enough (lack of a wrench) for the pieces to line up, then you can trim the 2-1/2" x 3/4" piece until it is correct.
      7. Push the horizontal brace down until the snap tees are touching the tees on the base.
      8. Repeat these steps for the other horizontal brace.
        Again, the cut part of the snap tee should be pointed up.
        Push the brace down until it contacts the lower horizontal brace.
      9. Hammer Time!
        PVC doesn't like you, and it plays by its own rules. So while you're attaching horizontal braces, the base is trying to come apart. Whenever it gets out of line, teach it a lesson with the rubber mallet.
    3. Springs & Caps
      1. Now we need the 3/4" CPVC Male Adapters.
      2. Insert the male adapters, thread side down, into the vertical 1" pipes.
      3. Notice that inside the CPVC adapters, there is a small ledge.
      4. We need the compression springs to sit on that ledge. Unfortunately they aren't quite wide enough. Simply bend one end of each spring to make the diameter slightly larger, so that it will sit on this ledge without getting pushed through.
      5. Now place the set the springs in the adapters, with the wider side on bottom.
        Do not push them down into the adapter. It is okay that they are not standing straight up.
      6. Next take the caps and attach them to the 4" x 1-1/4" pieces of pipe.
      7. Slide the cap and pipe over the spring. It will overlap with the 1" pipe just a bit, so that it is less wobbly.
      8. If your wife is getting on your case, this would be a good time to appease her by showing her your progress so far.
      9. Now it's time to place the contraption into the bucket.
      10. Here you might run into trouble. It's a tight fit, but you should be able to get it all the way down. If not, or if you're worried about putting too much force on the sides of the bucket, you can try what I did. You may have noticed throughout this that the elbow pieces on mine look a little rough. This is because I sanded them down to give a more round shape. Just make sure you don't go too far or you'll go through the pipe, or possibly make it so thin it will eventually break.
      11. Now set the Grit Guard on top.
        Press down on it a few times to make sure it has even pressure and that the springs don't get forced down into the adapter. You may need to adjust them. You should hear air coming out through the caps.
      12. If you did everything right, it should look like this!

...like a bucket.
      13. To test it with water, follow the same instructions as with the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer. Press the grit guard down all the way and fill to just above the top of the grit guard. When you press down on it, water should spray out of the holes in the tops of the caps.

Now if you want to make a splash guard, continue reading below...

Post Thanks / Like

Part 2 - Splash Guard

This part isn't super necessary, but it's nice to have, so I did not inlcude it in the main instructions.
    I don't think this part came out nearly as nicely as the real thing, so this would be a good time to dial back your expectations.

I cannot stress this enough. If you don't want to do this part, then don't. Please read ahead and make sure this is something you feel is worth it to you, or find some cheaper way of doing it. I really don't want to be responsible for someone destroying a gamma seal lid then complaining to me that it didn't work and they're out 10 bucks.

Also, be careful. The list of tools just went from "your hands" to "nothing but sharp objects."

Tools
    1. Something to cut a circle
      For this I picked up a sweet drill attachment from Harbor Freight. It broke once I tried to use it on wood, but it's perfect for this project.
    2. Something to cut a [preferably] straight line
      For the straight cut, I used this tool also from Harbor Freight. It's not necessary, just a suggestion.
    3. Razor
    4. Screw driver
    5. Plyers unless you have tiny fingers

Post Thanks / Like

Parts

This is simple enough, and prices can vary, especially depending on how you decide to tackle this thing, so I'm not posting them for this section.

1. Cheap, easy on-off, 5 gallon bucket lid
    2. Gamma seal lid
    3. Screws and nuts - size is up to you

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting, lots of cutting

Get ready to clean plastic...

1. Set the outer ring (the part that attaches to the bucket) of the gamma seal lid aside.
    2. Hollow out the gamma seal lid. (See why I said to read ahead)
      Cut out the entire inside portion, leaving only the raised outer ring.
      I did this with a razor, probably not recommended.

3. Next we're going to cut an opening in the cheap lid big enough for it to close around the polisher with the pad inside the bucket.
      For this I used the drill attachment to make a hole 5" in diameter.
      Leave the barcode intact in case you slip up.
    4. Now cut the lid in half. I used a board as a guide, and I used the Oscillating tool from Harbor Freight to cut.

5. Now you'll see that the edges are quite rough. I used a razor to clean this up.

Just try not to take off too much.
    6. Now you have 2 halves of the splash guard.
      Drill a hole into one corner of each, and corresponding holes in the gamma seal lid. This is where the guard will attach.
      Try to keep the two halves lines up as best you can so you don't have to adjust the hole in the center.
      Here is mine closed:
    7. I placed the hinges on opposite sides. This gives it the added benefit of looking like Meatwad.

Now you can attach the splash guard, or take it off and replace it with an unmodified gamma seal lid to keep the pad cleaner free of debris when not in use.

Post Thanks / Like

Fin

So we went from this...

to this...

Not bad! Hope you guys agree.

13. Thanks b00gyman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wow...

15. Likes wooly4228 liked this post
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast