autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: DIY Pad Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Pad Washer

Wow has been said a few times now...but WOW!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little preview of the latest improvement...

Post Thanks / Like

This could be this weeks project

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a little winter update for those that are interested:

1. The paint didn't really work out. It was kind of sticky, wouldn't fully cure, and I didn't trust it to stay on while in use. I didn't want to ruin a pad to find out, so I have never used the painted version. If I had been more patient and done thinner layers it could have worked. Maybe I'll try it out this spring since it's had a few months to cure.
    2. Home Depot now has shorter tee and elbow fittings. If you're using one of the tighter fitting buckets, then these new pieces allow the pad washer to actually fit into the bucket without forcing it.
    3. And finally, don't forget to empty your pad washer! I made this mistake a couple months ago and didn't even realize my mistake until last night.

Don't leave water in the pad washer in the winter for obvious reasons...

But, there is another reason to empty your pad washer after each use.
    The pad cleaning chemicals seem to be a bit corrosive. I used CG Pad Cleaner, YMMV. In the pictures above, you can see the embossed text on the pipe is smoothed out and barely readable. There was also some white goop at the bottom of the bucket, which I'm pretty sure used to be PVC. You can see it on my glove in the picture below. I think the brownish stuff on the wall of the bucket is just polish that was floating in the bucket.

Looks like I'll be rebuilding this guy before spring.

Post Thanks / Like

I made myself one of these when I first started detailing. It helped me save the cheap pads that I was working with and was pretty impressed with the over all design. Since then I decided to actually by a pad washer and I am glad that I did. I mainly purchased it for the splash guard and the center piece that can be used to drive polish out from the center of the pad or to dry the pad after being washed. In my eyes this is a great design for someone starting out, but once you have the client base to invest in better tools just drop the dough on the grit guard pad washer. You will be much happier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDetail View Post
    I made myself one of these when I first started detailing. It helped me save the cheap pads that I was working with and was pretty impressed with the over all design. Since then I decided to actually by a pad washer and I am glad that I did. I mainly purchased it for the splash guard and the center piece that can be used to drive polish out from the center of the pad or to dry the pad after being washed. In my eyes this is a great design for someone starting out, but once you have the client base to invest in better tools just drop the dough on the grit guard pad washer. You will be much happier.
    I actually made a splash guard for this. I guess I never posted the instructions for that...

As far as the center piece, that would definitely be nice to have. I made a cad model of it that I was going to print, but then everyone gave me crap about legal issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post
    I actually made a splash guard for this. I guess I never posted the instructions for that...

As far as the center piece, that would definitely be nice to have. I made a cad model of it that I was going to print, but then everyone gave me crap about legal issues.
    Yeah I made a splash guard myself, but I was able to get a good deal on the pad washser so I just dropped the money on it. I find that my pads don't get as soaked with water as they did with my DIY one.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I made a splash guard myself, but I was able to get a good deal on the pad washser so I just dropped the money on it. I find that my pads don't get as soaked with water as they did with my DIY one.
    That's good to know. Thank you, I was going to ask what was better about the actual functionality. Are the holes smaller? I might try making them smaller on the next one.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I think that your holes are a bit smaller. I think it might be because of the size of PVC pipe. Since the pad washer has 2-3 in diameter for the cones. I'll try and take a few good pictures/video of it so you can see better.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I think that your holes are a bit smaller. I think it might be because of the size of PVC pipe. Since the pad washer has 2-3 in diameter for the cones. I'll try and take a few good pictures/video of it so you can see better.
    Hmm... I know what you mean about the cones, but how would the extra width would make a difference?

Also, how far do the cones move down? I think mine move farther since I had to get those big springs from Lowe's, so that means more water volume spraying out.

The smaller holes could actually be part of the problem. Smaller holes => more pressure => inject more water into the pad.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast