autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Pad Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Pad Washer

BEST write-up EVER.....

Kappy

I doubt that I'll ever attempt to build this, but I sure enjoyed reading your writeup. Nice job, and thanks for the bonus laughs.

Post Thanks / Like

you want to start selling these ?-

Optimus Shine Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to sound weird but I just saw this somewhere and the guy ended up painting the unit red......

STILL............... A great innovation and possible improvement over the original!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Might just have to give this a try!
    Doing my part to keep all cars clean and shiny!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again! I have a gift card to Lowes that I'll be spending very shortly......

Post Thanks / Like

If I didn't already have a pad washer I would build one like this. Thanks for the write up and instructions.
    How does it function? Does it pump water really well?
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    This is going to sound weird but I just saw this somewhere and the guy ended up painting the unit red......

STILL............... A great innovation and possible improvement over the original!!
    Thank you! But remember, I didn't come up with the idea. I linked to the guy that posted it back in 2011 at the top. I just ran with his idea and modified the splash guard a bit.

Yeah I really like his version. I don't have one of the originals, but I can't imagine they're as tough as good ole PVC!

Do you know where you saw it at? I bet it was the same guy.

I actually would not recommend painting it. PVC's outer layer prevents anything from absorbing into it, and paint won't stick to it for long. Coincidentally, I was just reading about how to die PVC last night. Here's the article:
    Stain PVC any color you like

Or if you want to just do a small area, you could abrade the surface where you want to write. I'm planning on doing that to mark measurements on the side of my buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    If I didn't already have a pad washer I would build one like this. Thanks for the write up and instructions.
    How does it function? Does it pump water really well?
    Quote Originally Posted by cshamilton View Post
    Thanks again! I have a gift card to Lowes that I'll be spending very shortly......

Thanks ShaunD and cshamilton! I think I need to clear a couple things up (cshamilton sent me some questions in a PM):

• How does it function?
      When you press down, the vertical tubes are compressed, thus decreasing the volume inside and forcing the liquid out of the hole on top.
      The guy that originally came up with this thing got the idea from a video of how the original pad washer works. This one works pretty much the same:
      Pad Washer Video
    • Does it pump water really well?/What is the fitment of the tubing like?
      These two go hand in hand. I think it pumps rather well. I have only done a water test since it's been too cold to do any significant detailing, but after just a few pumps the whole pad was wet.

The fitment between the 1" pipe and the 1-1/4" could be better. When it is compressed, some of the water goes out the hole and some goes out through this gap. I tried to tighten the gap with some plumber's tape, but it started to come apart pretty quickly. It did improve the pumping performance, but I don't think it's necessary, and I'd hate to have to dig that stuff out of a foam pad. You just need to get enough of the liquid on there to assist the grit guard, it's not a super soaker. Although...
    • Where does the water come into the "Pump"?
      I meant to cover this, so thank you.
      The water enters through the gap I mentioned in the last question.
      It's pretty cool when you're filling it; if you wait to depress the grit guard until the water is high enough, when you do depress it, the water will flow into the tubes and fill it up. It makes this cool sound that you would not expect from something so small haha.
      But anyway... I have toyed with the idea of making some holes in the vertical 1" tubes or in the base, to allow water to flow in more easily. I really just don't want to have to deal with topping it off if I lose too much water.
    • What function does the cross-bar section made from the clip on tees serve? Stability?
      Exactly! without that, the slip tees on the base would lean in or out and you would have stuff spraying all over. This keeps them vertical and keeps the liquid on the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBlackHoe View Post
    you want to start selling these ?-
    Lol nah. Tempting, but I'd rather just give out the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Covered my Q's!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast