autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: DIY Pad Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Pad Washer

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    I'm a little unclear because for some reason water doesn't come out as much as it seems you guys are saying. I cemented everything except the tubes going to the springs, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of pressure. Any ideas to make it squirt more water?
    hey try a lil more water in the bucket. when i first tested it i got nothing but air and played around with the water level before i got it to the point where water is just below the "grit guard" (when it is pressed down not when its up) but also has to be higher than the pipes that come up (where the spring is) otherwise water wont be able to fill the contraption and u get air not water. also depends on how hard and fast you push down on the "grit guard" (or substitute). i am going to post some pics later today but hope this helps for now by the way you don't need to much water or water and soap solution. all you need is enough to get the pad wet (not damp but also not soaked) and you are not going to achieve this with one press on the springs the way mine is it will probilly get it decently wet in like 6 or 7 pushes on the springs (not 100% on that just estimating haven't had the opportunity to fully clean a pad yet just put together and tested it) i might dirty up a pad today to try it out real good ill let everyone know how it turns out

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbreeze225 View Post
    hey try a lil more water in the bucket. when i first tested it i got nothing but air and played around with the water level before i got it to the point where water is just below the "grit guard" (when it is pressed down not when its up) but also has to be higher than the pipes that come up (where the spring is) otherwise water wont be able to fill the contraption and u get air not water. also depends on how hard and fast you push down on the "grit guard" (or substitute). i am going to post some pics later today but hope this helps for now by the way you don't need to much water or water and soap solution. all you need is enough to get the pad wet (not damp but also not soaked) and you are not going to achieve this with one press on the springs the way mine is it will probilly get it decently wet in like 6 or 7 pushes on the springs (not 100% on that just estimating haven't had the opportunity to fully clean a pad yet just put together and tested it) i might dirty up a pad today to try it out real good ill let everyone know how it turns out
    This^

The instructions for the "official" pad washer still work perfectly for this one. There is also a really useful list of pad cleaning tips on the product page in the AG store, or I pasted them below, with the filling part in bold.

The only thing I would add to the instructions, for the DIY pad washer, is make sure the PVC has filled with water before you start using it. You'll see what I mean...

Pad Cleaning Tips:

• Keep the pad’s Velcro® brand backing out of the water when using the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer.
    • When using a dual action polisher, make a mark on the backing plate with a permanent marker. This mark will indicate to you when the pad has made a full rotation. If it is not rotating, lighten up your pressure.
    • Fill with the appropriate level of water. Press down on the grid insert until the springs are fully compressed. Fill until the water level reaches just above the Insert. When you press down on the grid insert with the polisher, the springs will pump water upwards to the pad.
    • Always operate the pad washer with the Splash Guard closed.
    • For heavily soiled pads, spin the pad in the pad washer for 10 seconds to thoroughly wet it. Then spray on the Pad Renewing Solution and let it penetrate for 1 minute. Then use the pad washer again to clean the pad.
    • Always use the Dual Action Pad Washer with the polisher on its lowest setting for cleaning. You can use a slightly higher setting for drying.
    • Move the polisher around inside the pad washer to be sure all parts of the pad are cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like

great post and nice to see the unit is working well. there has been talk to an upgraded parts list , wondering if there are any plans to do so. want to get started on making a pad washer, just wondering if I should wait for the newer one with a few upgraded parts .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flatstick View Post
    great post and nice to see the unit is working well. there has been talk to an upgraded parts list , wondering if there are any plans to do so. want to get started on making a pad washer, just wondering if I should wait for the newer one with a few upgraded parts .
    Yeah, I am going to make an update. I'll try to get it done this weekend, just need to take some new pictures and put it all together. If you need yours sooner, I can try to give you a brief description/list of different parts, just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post
    Yeah, I am going to make an update. I'll try to get it done this weekend, just need to take some new pictures and put it all together. If you need yours sooner, I can try to give you a brief description/list of different parts, just let me know.
    no hurry. I can wait until you can get the new parts and pictures together. appreciate you taking the time to help the members out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys. Sorry I didn't get to put the instructions together this past weekend. I've had some serious stuff going on, and I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I will as soon as I get the chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeast14GT View Post
    Hey guys. Sorry I didn't get to put the instructions together this past weekend. I've had some serious stuff going on, and I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I will as soon as I get the chance.
    when you can find the time we will get the updates, no worries take care of the important stuff first. we can wait

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to the OP and everyone else for posting and contributing to this thread. I made my DIY Pad Washer this weekend and can't wait to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Added the Grit Guard Extension to this project. It will get a thorough testing this week end.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast