autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Clean and Condition Ford King Ranch Leather

Great write up, Nick! I made the mistake of sitting in a KR at the dealership, now I want one, not that it will happen any time soon, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a f350 king ranch. It was the nicest truck ive ever owned 4 door long bed white on gold paint lifted diesel 37" tires on 20" rims tvs subs the whole shebang ( it was a ca truck hence the large impractical rims but it was nice damn it lol) any way, the leather was in better condition then most ive seen but still not the condition id like it in. I tried those home made products and absolutely nothing worked and the scariest part is that leather was so easy to absolutely destroy i tried some lenox leather cleaner in an inconspicuous test spot and it looked terrible so after that i was like hell with it ill just leave it alone. After owning a king ranch and seeing your pics that is the only product that seems to work and not destroy it. unfortunately i personally dont think that the king ranch leather can ever be restored once its damaged even with the black label. I think the black label makes it look 10x better but not perfect if that makes sense. At the same time i think its the best product out there for the job as its such a sensitive leather and arguably the hardest leather to work with.

For those who are in the market to buy a king ranch id recommend using black label on the leather with ever exterior wash so it never gets to the point of no return.

Post Thanks / Like

Great article and mind blowed :P so in my fav. bookmarked

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am using this stuff now on my 2005 F250 King Ranch. Is there anything else I can use to apply the cleaner? My microfiber clothe I am using seems like it just drinks the cleaner.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05krsd View Post
    I am using this stuff now on my 2005 F250 King Ranch. Is there anything else I can use to apply the cleaner? My microfiber clothe I am using seems like it just drinks the cleaner.
    Once you've applied the cleaner to the applicator a couple times it will become saturated, which is what you want. That way when you need more you can simply squeeze the applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I read the article I bought the Pinnacle Black Label Cleaner and Conditioner. I wish I had of took pics of my vehicle before and after. I had tried everything on the seats. When I got the 2005 King Ranch in 2013 it was a 2005 with 23,000 miles. The vehicle had been parked inside a barn for the past couple of years. The interior was very dusty and the seats were very dried out and cracked. I tried several different kinds of cleaning products and conditioners after reading your post got eh BlackLabel. The products were applied to the seats with great results. The seats are still not in the best shape but look much better. In the summer I applied the conditioner about once a month, but since cold weather set in I haven't applied it in a couple of months. I will start with the re-application in about April. The seats area a lot softer and look much better. The Black Label is a great product. Thanks to Nick for the initial post.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write up and responses Nick.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that I'm seeing this article now, after I worked on a King Ranch F150 (2013) over the weekend.

First question is, are the seats used in newer trucks different from what you mention here? The leather seemed like the same run-o-the mill leather found in other Ford's. It was almost identical to my Mustang. Same feel, texture and even had perforated seats...

The leather looked nothing like the hide leather in your post...

Secondly, I did use some APC to get the soiled spots (grease, etc...) It's used as a work truck. Then I used Pinnacle Vinyl Leather Cleaner, then Pinnacle Leather Conditioner. After having the truck several days the leather looked great.

I'm still perplexed at the differences in the types of leather used, what you show above, and what was in the truck I worked on. This looks nothing like the hide-leather you discussed above Nick. However, with that said, perhaps Ford is doing some cost cutting? I now see that the tops of the chairs have a different leather than the rest of the seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up Nick! I too prefer to work the hide style leather via bare hand leather conditioning. I've found the first time around the leather seams to almost drink the conditioner, but this decreases as you continue to maintain the leather over time.
    Keep Calm... and Detail On!

Eric

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Interesting that I'm seeing this article now, after I worked on a King Ranch F150 (2013) over the weekend.

First question is, are the seats used in newer trucks different from what you mention here? The leather seemed like the same run-o-the mill leather found in other Ford's. It was almost identical to my Mustang. Same feel, texture and even had perforated seats...

The leather looked nothing like the hide leather in your post...

Secondly, I did use some APC to get the soiled spots (grease, etc...) It's used as a work truck. Then I used Pinnacle Vinyl Leather Cleaner, then Pinnacle Leather Conditioner. After having the truck several days the leather looked great.

I'm still perplexed at the differences in the types of leather used, what you show above, and what was in the truck I worked on. This looks nothing like the hide-leather you discussed above Nick. However, with that said, perhaps Ford is doing some cost cutting? I now see that the tops of the chairs have a different leather than the rest of the seat.

I don't recall the exact year, but Ford did stop using the genuine (unfinished) King Ranch style leather in favor of something that wears better. I'm not surprised at all, because what you worked on is far easier to properly maintain compared to the unfinished (original) style featured in this article.

Quote Originally Posted by EWtheDETAILER View Post
    Nice write up Nick! I too prefer to work the hide style leather via bare hand leather conditioning. I've found the first time around the leather seams to almost drink the conditioner, but this decreases as you continue to maintain the leather over time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast