autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photography Basics - Part 1

Zach, that's a great explanation with perfect example shots. For times when I'm too damned lazy to use my tripod, I use the Auto "NO FLASH" setting which shoots it quickly but jacks the ISO up to compensate. The drop in quality is not as bad as one would expect, but I need to get better at using my tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    Thanks for this Zach. I understand a little bit more now.

I will continue to play around with my camera. Such a fun and great tool to use.
    ^You got it! Experience is the key... pay attention to what settings you are changing and how the image differs as you change each particular setting. It will all be 2nd nature soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by NYV6Coupe View Post
    lots of good info in that post zach, thanks for the explanation.

I've been a P&S / prosumer / superzoom guy for years but I made the jump to a Canon 60D a couple years ago. I was confused, lost, and generally not scratching the surface of what the camera was capable of. Thought I bit off more than I could chew.

I picked up 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson and his conversational style lead to a greater understanding of exposure. His youtube / adorama videos are excellent as well.
    ^Great book and also great youtube videos. Glad you weren't discouraged and took the time to learn how to get the most out of your awesome camera!

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Zach, that's a great explanation with perfect example shots. For times when I'm too damned lazy to use my tripod, I use the Auto "NO FLASH" setting which shoots it quickly but jacks the ISO up to compensate. The drop in quality is not as bad as one would expect, but I need to get better at using my tripod.
    ^Luckily you can get away with some pretty insane ISO settings for posting pictures online as the quality does not need to be particularly high... a tripod is a great tool to make a habit of using though. I really only ever use it when detailing (and night landscapes, of course) because I find it is great for those before and after shots so I can have the exact same shot/angle.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread!
    Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info, thanks for the write up. Now to find a decent camera that won't break the bank

Anyone have any suggestions of good cameras for first timers?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gen9Rolla View Post
    Great info, thanks for the write up. Now to find a decent camera that won't break the bank

Get a used or refurbished dslr from adorama or b&h photo. Then invest your money in lenses. The abilities of a dslr are important however your lens choice is even more crucial. For lens selection try to find something with f2.8 or lower like maybe a 50mm f1.8 but also a zoom can be more usable like a 24-70. There are lots of reasons I say this but lens quality can improve your photos so much more than camera quality. You should be able to get a decent setup like a basic canon or Nikon for $200-300 and maybe a 50mm f1.8 lens for $75. It's a fixed lens so you will have to more rather than zoom in or out but it's a great wide aperture lens for the price and 50mm lenses are often dirt cheap. A zoom is more usable but expect to pay $300-$2000 for a good one.

Even more important than equipment is quality of light and your ability to utilize it. But that a 10,000 page book in itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I will eventually get around to doing several other threads similar to this that will help to cover other basics of learning photography.

Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shogun88888888 View Post
    Get a used or refurbished dslr from adorama or b&h photo. Then invest your money in lenses. The abilities of a dslr are important however your lens choice is even more crucial. For lens selection try to find something with f2.8 or lower like maybe a 50mm f1.8 but also a zoom can be more usable like a 24-70. There are lots of reasons I say this but lens quality can improve your photos so much more than camera quality. You should be able to get a decent setup like a basic canon or Nikon for $200-300 and maybe a 50mm f1.8 lens for $75. It's a fixed lens so you will have to more rather than zoom in or out but it's a great wide aperture lens for the price and 50mm lenses are often dirt cheap. A zoom is more usable but expect to pay $300-$2000 for a good one.

Even more important than equipment is quality of light and your ability to utilize it. But that a 10,000 page book in itself.
    Thanks for the info!!

Mike Phillips

After reading this thread and then playing with the settings on my new Canon T5i I must say my pictures are coming out a lot better.

Currently I'm using the manual mode and moving around just a few settings,

Shutter speed 1/30
    Aperture Setting: F.8.0
    ISO: 800
    White Balance is set to Auto

I tend to leave the aperture setting alone because I want everything in general focus, I doesn't work for me for the pictures I'm taking to have a blurry background as that too often includes parts of the car.

Mostly changing the shutter speed or the ISO setting depending upon the light, either inside or outside.

I'm still not dialed-in yet for all shots which you can see in some of the INSIDE pictures here,

1979 Firebird Formula Show Car Makeover

And here,

Cyclo Polisher = Cyclo Vinyl Scrubber

Thanks Zach!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

From my (admittedly limited) time behind the lens, white balance plays a huge role in the color of your pictures - those taken under halogens but not set for such land up coming out blue etc. andjust switching from auto to 'tungsten' and 'fluorescent' can have a dramatic effect depending on the light you are shooting in.

Hope this helps a little

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen9Rolla View Post

Any Nikon or Canon DSLR. Lenses choices are huge.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast