autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to properly remove moldings , emblems , etc from your vehicle

I havent seen this posted here yet so i thought i would share what i consider to be the safest , most effective way to remove anything from your vehicles exterior that has double sided tape to hold it in place. I get alot of customers who want there factory moldings removed or want there ride "debadged" . This has become a pretty lucrative part of my business, averaging between 100.00 and 300.00 per job.

For the first step you will need a heat gun and a plastic scraper or bondo card. In this case since i have pics of some moldings i removed ill use moldings as an example but the same method applies to anything on the exterior of a vehicle that has been applied with adhesive of any kind.

Heat up a corner of the molding and carefully and gently pry it up with the scraper , move the heat gun a section at a time and heat up the molding and carefully pry it up using the scraper. You dont need to get the piece your removing super hot , what your doing is simply softening the double sided tape behind the piece then using the scraper to separate it from the panel . Heres a few pics:

How to properly remove moldings , emblems , etc from your vehicle-2012-09-19_09-39-45_168-jpg

How to properly remove moldings , emblems , etc from your vehicle-2012-09-19_09-40-13_710-jpg

After you get the piece removed completely you will see some tape residue still left on the vehicle . Heres a great tool that should be in every detailers arsenal !!!
    How to properly remove moldings , emblems , etc from your vehicle-2012-09-19_09-38-39_647-jpg How to properly remove moldings , emblems , etc from your vehicle-2012-09-19_09-32-26_514-jpg
    Its a rubber wheel that attaches to an air tool, for those that dont know it uses heat and friction to remove the tape residue without removing the clear coat from the vehicles exterior. This tool makes removing this residue quick and painless i removed these molding in the pics and the residue in under 30 minutes .

At this point the moldings have been removed and 99% of the tape adhesive has been cleaned off of the vehicle. The next step is to take some adhesive remover and a terry cloth or microfiber and double check the vehicle to make sure all the residue is off the vehicle.

Now your ready to polish, I dont need to explain this to much. Simply polish the panels of the vehicles exterior to maximum shine. Heres the results :

How to properly remove moldings , emblems , etc from your vehicle-2012-09-19_15-05-25_995-jpg

How to properly remove moldings , emblems , etc from your vehicle-2012-09-19_15-05-25_995-jpg

As you can see its like those moldings were never there. This took a total time of 1.5 hours to do including waxing the entire vehicle and it paid 150.00. Hope this helps someone!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to properly remove moldings , emblems , etc from your vehicle

Nice write up and great idea for all of us to maybe consider offering.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also debadge it with fishing line and not use any heat. The fishing line saws right through the tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    You can also debadge it with fishing line and not use any heat. The fishing line saws right through the tape.

Good idea!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    i usually use this method with the heat gun and i get minimal leftover adhesive