autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to fix a deliberate deep key scratch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InkedXombie View Post
    I still think these should be legal in the USA, rig them to go off with your car alarm, or when a metal object (like a key, or screwdriver) makes contact.
    I prefer the idea of electric shock that zaps those who touch the car. The flames could harm your own paint, as well as that of nearby cars. Pepper spray nozzles are legal, I think. There is tear gas, but not legal. Don't forget motion activated security cameras inside the car with a 360 degree view to catch the perpetrator in the act.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing a deliberate deep scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Awesome repair, photography and documentation.

I'm going to edit your first post and give this a title with a blue clickable link to make it easier for everyone to share on our forum every time someone asks how to fix a deep key scratch.

Hey Mike, I want to throw a question at you. Whats your take on filling these deep scratches with paint and using unigrit sand papers and compounding on bumpers?
    You think sand papers (and above mentioned procedure) would work on bumpers for deep scratches? I asked because I have a hunch that paint filling and correction is different for bumpers compared to the rest.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by highroller View Post
    Hey Mike, I want to throw a question at you. Whats your take on filling these deep scratches with paint and using unigrit sand papers and compounding on bumpers?
    You think sand papers (and above mentioned procedure) would work on bumpers for deep scratches? I asked because I have a hunch that paint filling and correction is different for bumpers compared to the rest.

Thanks
    Anyone???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

great work and very nice step by step presentation

thanks for sharing , great post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by highroller View Post
    Anyone???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Often times, paint on urethane bumpers will have flex agent added to it to prevent it from cracking. It makes the paint softer and more prone to scratches as well as creeping from too much heat from buffing it. If I could find out the exact paint used on a certain bumper, I would use that with the fill, sand and compound method. If I could not get that exact paint, I would just go for touch up paint that is the right color and use the same method and hope for the best, as in hoping it doesn't crack.

7. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New guy here! I am still trying to learn the paint theory, etc. Something I have always wondered is... in a situation like this, do I understand it right that when you sanded, you were taking the touch up paint down to the level of the clear coat, not the actual paint? Because if you took it down level with the actual paint, that would mean your clear coat is gone? I guess I just always had a problem figuring out how clear-coat was replaced when paint repairing paint that was damaged past the clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roberthathaway7 View Post
    New guy here! I am still trying to learn the paint theory, etc. Something I have always wondered is... in a situation like this, do I understand it right that when you sanded, you were taking the touch up paint down to the level of the clear coat, not the actual paint? Because if you took it down level with the actual paint, that would mean your clear coat is gone? I guess I just always had a problem figuring out how clear-coat was replaced when paint repairing paint that was damaged past the clear coat.
    When you sand the touch up paint, you sand it to match the same level as the overall paint surface, ie the top of the clear coat, or the top of the paint period, if the paint is single stage, ie non clear coat paint.

The best touch up comes from sanding the chip before you apply touch up, to feather edge the chip, to make a gradual transition from the chipped area to the surrounding paint. This reduces any hard line around the border of the repair and the surrounding area. The touch up is less noticeable that way. If you wanted to attempt perfection, you would feather edge, then fill with any color needed, then sand that perfectly flat to match the level of the color coat, then fill with clear, and then sand and polish that to match the level of the clear.

10. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    When you sand the touch up paint, you sand it to match the same level as the overall paint surface, ie the top of the clear coat, or the top of the paint period, if the paint is single stage, ie non clear coat paint.

The best touch up comes from sanding the chip before you apply touch up, to feather edge the chip, to make a gradual transition from the chipped area to the surrounding paint. This reduces any hard line around the border of the repair and the surrounding area. The touch up is less noticeable that way. If you wanted to attempt perfection, you would feather edge, then fill with any color needed, then sand that perfectly flat to match the level of the color coat, then fill with clear, and then sand and polish that to match the level of the clear.
    Thank you, very helpful! Well if I had the skill to do so, but one day...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, very nice write up and excellent results. I'm about to attempt this on my car that was keyed though thankfully a much smaller 12 inch scratch. Is it true you didn't use any kind of clear coat over the painted scratch before sanding or polishing? Looks like there is a layer of clear on the finished repair. Thanks!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast